EB Games trade up for Xbox One X?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2017 6:06 pm
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1670 posts
719 upvotes

EB Games trade up for Xbox One X?

Is EB Games having any promotions this year for trading in your old Xbox One S for an Xbox One X during the holidays? I'm guessing if they had any such deals they would have announced it already?
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
I havent seen anything like this for the Xbox One X and I've been keeping my eyes out, best deal yet was during pre-launch when they were offering 200$ for an OG Xbox One, in hindsight wish I had jumped on that. Im guessing at this point we wont see any good deals like this until mid next year.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1670 posts
719 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote: I havent seen anything like this for the Xbox One X and I've been keeping my eyes out, best deal yet was during pre-launch when they were offering 200$ for an OG Xbox One, in hindsight wish I had jumped on that. Im guessing at this point we wont see any good deals like this until mid next year.
Does EB games not accept trading in an old Xbox one s at all? Mine is not even a year old lol. If that's the case you should be able to get at least $200 and more for your xbox one on kijiji.

Does anyone remember how last year's deal worked? Do you still have to pay tax when you trade in your old console for a new one?
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
Bryson wrote: Does EB games not accept trading in an old Xbox one s at all? Mine is not even a year old lol. If that's the case you should be able to get at least $200 and more for your xbox one on kijiji.

Does anyone remember how last year's deal worked? Do you still have to pay tax when you trade in your old console for a new one?
EB Games always charges tax for things purchased with trade-in store credit unless your trade credit covers the before-tax balance.
EB deducts the balance first off the item being purchased before tax is applied, and then tax is charged on the remaining amount left over.

Best Buy applies tax on the cost of the item first, then deducts any gift cards or credit, which means the cost will be a lot more than the
scenario above.

For example: say you trade in something for $200 credit.

ie. EB Games XBox One X $599.99:
$599.99 - $200 trade credit = $399.99
$399.99 + 13% Ontario HST = $439.99 balance to be paid

ie. Best Buy XBox One X $599.99:
$599.999 + 13% Ontario HST = $677.99
$677.99 - $200 trade = $477.99 balance to be paid
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1962 posts
1140 upvotes
Nova Scotia
SpicYMchaggis wrote: I havent seen anything like this for the Xbox One X and I've been keeping my eyes out, best deal yet was during pre-launch when they were offering 200$ for an OG Xbox One, in hindsight wish I had jumped on that. Im guessing at this point we wont see any good deals like this until mid next year.
I should have jumped on that trade in promo with my Elite but wavered. Did do the trade for the S and am fairly happy since it was only $49 plus tax out of my pocket.
Was told they will give $175 towards the Xbox One X for any Xbox One at the time I did my trade (about a week ago). I would call EB and see what the current trade in value is.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1670 posts
719 upvotes
quicksilver7 wrote: I should have jumped on that trade in promo with my Elite but wavered. Did do the trade for the S and am fairly happy since it was only $49 plus tax out of my pocket.
Was told they will give $175 towards the Xbox One X for any Xbox One at the time I did my trade (about a week ago). I would call EB and see what the current trade in value is.
I just got off the phone with EB Games. The first store said I had to bring in my xbox and they would try and give me the best deal. He wouldn't confirm me any credit price. What a waste of time. Second store confirmed the $175 credit for the 500gb Xbox One S. A little more if you have a 1TB obviously. Xbox One X is $600 and the credit is applied before taxes like XFactor pointed out. I asked if they had any promotions coming up and she couldn't confirm anything but they usually do something for boxing day.
Aug 20, 2009
9825 posts
5933 upvotes
I just don't see them doing a promo for the X this soon but I guess it doesn't hurt to wait a month. The trade in value for the S isn't bad to be honest, selling it privately you would only make $50 more, maybe $100 if you find someone clueless or throw in some games.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10104 posts
12725 upvotes
Toronto
I'm disappointed in you... Winking Face
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
9394 wrote: I'm disappointed in you... Winking Face
Yeah Neutral Face

I wanted to wait to see some actual reviews and face-offs to see if it was really worth it, then I convinced myself I didn't need it completely and would wait for some amazing trade in deal, now I've kind of gone the other way after all these glowing face-offs and getting the chance to play around with one and would like to purchase it but unfortunately the only trade-in deal that was worth it was pre-launch.

I could try kijiji but I just don't really have the time or patience to deal with that right now.