Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
EB Games

Up to $45 on select title trade in (until Feb 2), $15 for all Nintendo Switch games (Jan 30 only)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2020 11:55 am
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2255 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
Variability wrote: For everyone complaining about EB, tell me another company where you can pawn off your video game stuff, pretty much sight unseen, how many people have taken advantage of trading in broken controllers or wonky consoles? Sure, if your stuff is in good condition, you can sell it for more, but the hassle of having to deal with buyers is a PIA, from ghosting, lowballing, or flakey people, it's more stress than it's worth more often than not.

EB is great, I love that I can just trade in my junk, even if I'm getting less, my time is more valuable than bargaining with people.

But yeah, for Switch stuff, it's really easy to sell since it's in high demand.
Agreed. Don’t forget that EB is a business and they need to buy low and have room for a markup to make up for all the broken controllers they’ve received from other promos.
Apr 20, 2006
215 posts
165 upvotes
D0ntgiveajack wrote: Reminder that if you keep your store credit in their system, you can apply your credit towards games and not have to pay tax again.

So if you had $80 in credit, buy a $79.99 game, your credit will cover. No tax bb!
How does this work? For instance what happens if you only have $60 credit, do you then pay extra $20+ (Tax only on $20)?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
4026 posts
1858 upvotes
D0ntgiveajack wrote: Eb = electronics boutique?
Eb = E flat.

When I see these trade values, makes me just want to keep the games I have.

EB trade credit is tax free...but their sales are generally poor or $5 more than Walmart or bestbuy. From that end, I'd rather just buy a game on sale elsewhere and keep my game or trade it to someone online.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
abdlc wrote: How does this work? For instance what happens if you only have $60 credit, do you then pay extra $20+ (Tax only on $20)?
Yes, you pay tax only on the $20 portion.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
Best Buy does the opposite. BB charges tax first on the full amount, then deducts the credit. (Futureshop and Blockbuster would do it in this order too).
Therefore $79.99+ 13% tax = $90.40. Then $90.40 - $60 credit = you pay $30.40

EB $79.99 - $60 credit first. Then you pay $19.99 + 13% tax = $22.60

abdlc wrote: How does this work? For instance what happens if you only have $60 credit, do you then pay extra $20+ (Tax only on $20)?
Last edited by XFactor11 on Jan 30th, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
I didn't trade any Switch games in but Onyx Card level gives an extra 15%. Therefore the max you could get in this promo is $45 + 15% bonus ($6.75) = $51.75
or with the $50 promo $50 + 15% bonus = $57.50
The Onyx bump only applies to base trade values of games, not promotional amounts so if a game has a $30 trade value and a $45 promo, you only get 15% on the $30, not on the $45, so it would be $39.50 in that case. Though it also says in the fine print can not be combined with any other trade offer so I wonder if the Onyx bump even applies, they've now written the same thing on the $50 new release promo as well.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
Thanks that clears it up. Last time I traded in Control (which I really did not like) during its first week and received $54.95 on Onyx
instead of $50 or $57.50 when it was advertised as guaranteed $50 trade in credit for its first month of launch.
Jep4444 wrote: The Onyx bump only applies to base trade values of games, not promotional amounts so if a game has a $30 trade value and a $45 promo, you only get 15% on the $30, not on the $45, so it would be $39.50 in that case. Though it also says in the fine print can not be combined with any other trade offer so I wonder if the Onyx bump even applies, they've now written the same thing on the $50 new release promo as well.
May 28, 2008
298 posts
147 upvotes
Vancouver
bibowski wrote: Not gonna lie, I LOVE their controller trade-in promos.
If someone sees this promo, please put "controller" in the title. I've been waiting for awhile now. I feel like it's been a year or more since the last one and I've got 2 I want trade in.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2005
1275 posts
638 upvotes
Does EB accept unused XBOX One digital download codes for trade ins? I've got an NBA 2k20 that wanted to offload.
Thanks
Nov 16, 2013
253 posts
415 upvotes
New Brunswick
theshowman wrote: Does EB accept unused XBOX One digital download codes for trade ins? I've got an NBA 2k20 that wanted to offload.
Thanks
No.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2009
6109 posts
7131 upvotes
Whitby
Don't justify a company buying a game from you for $1 and then reselling it for half the cost of the current price brand new. EB has and will always be a ripoff. Just keep your damn games.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
dyalect wrote: Don't justify a company buying a game from you for $1 and then reselling it for half the cost of the current price brand new. EB has and will always be a ripoff. Just keep your damn games.
Don't justify a company having some bad deals as a reason to avoid them when some of their deals are quite good. I've traded in more than a few games for basically market value or more without having to deal with Kijiji. Hell I once got full retail price in a trade in Face With Tears Of Joy.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1837 posts
2038 upvotes
theshowman wrote: Does EB accept unused XBOX One digital download codes for trade ins? I've got an NBA 2k20 that wanted to offload.
Thanks
How would they verify the code is legit?
Wallet safe...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2009
6109 posts
7131 upvotes
Whitby
Jep4444 wrote: Don't justify a company having some bad deals as a reason to avoid them when some of their deals are quite good. I've traded in more than a few games for basically market value or more without having to deal with Kijiji. Hell I once got full retail price in a trade in Face With Tears Of Joy.
Verage or bust Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2016
2086 posts
1077 upvotes
BC
Jep4444 wrote: Don't justify a company having some bad deals as a reason to avoid them when some of their deals are quite good. I've traded in more than a few games for basically market value or more without having to deal with Kijiji. Hell I once got full retail price in a trade in Face With Tears Of Joy.
I can still remember that Valkyria game...
got it for <$25... traded in for >$45
did it twice...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
gundamwingZero wrote: I can still remember that Valkyria game...
got it for <$25... traded in for >$45
did it twice...
Haha nice, I never abused it like that but I did get $80 trade credit for Tales of Berseria, which I also bought entirely on trade credit..
Jan 17, 2017
341 posts
392 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: There actually is no XB1 version. The PS4 and Switch versions have the same base trade in value so I wouldn't be shocked if it was both.
Wasn't sure if XBONE got it so that makes sense.
Jul 31, 2012
102 posts
82 upvotes
Winnipeg
Can you use EB credits towards the purchase of Nintendo eshop cards?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
4046 posts
1304 upvotes
Toronto
clarkie31 wrote: Can you use EB credits towards the purchase of Nintendo eshop cards?
Yes you can but if you are using the credit to buy specific games EB games might have the digital game for sale too.

One advantage is that ebgames doesn't charge taxes on digital good for eshop or Microsoft store

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)