Mar 21, 2016
219 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto

[EBay][B&H] Nexbit Robin 32GB Unlocked GSM 4G LTE U$149.99 + U$22 shipping YMMV

Deal Link:
Price:
B&H
* 1 YR (U$29.99) & 2 YR (U$59.99) Drops & Spills Square Trade Protection Plan offered
* Optional DHL express shipping U$31.01 - WARNING ppl have stated DHL shipping is HORRIBLE compared to U$8.20 Canada Direct, supposed to be 4-7 business days YMMV!
* U$149.99 + U$8.20 shipping Canada Direct (4-9 Business Days) + U$8.50-23.50 (customs clearance; varies depending on recipient Province taxes - omit for tax Pay on Delivery) - MINT version only
* Midnight version price drop - U$149.99

Amazon.com
* U$129.99 + Free Shipping - Midnight & Mint versions. US ONLY, need redirect service like mymallbox.

EBAY
* Offers SquareTrade but 1 Yr BASIC (does not cover accidental drops/spills) ONLY upon checkout - YMMV.
* buyspry U$139.99 + U$?VARIED shipping - BOTH Mint & Midnight versions + Electric Blue Edition (??? is this the older 2015 release? I know Mint/Midnight were 2016 version), but not authorized dealer seller buyspry ONLY ships within USA - need redirect service like mymallbox. + Unlocked Phones promo Save $5 for every 2 you buy .
* mobilepros1; BOTH Mint & Midnight versions, AUTHORIZED DEALER; U$149.99 + U$22.16 shipping - ALSO U$10 off if you buy 3 eligible items
* breed; U$149.99 + U$22.16 shipping - BOTH Mint & Midnight versions, AUTHORIZED DEALER - U$10 off if you buy 3 eligible items

@Raboo11 reports that buying from seller mobilepros1 seems to dodge customs.
Raboo11 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2017 8:42 pm
I got this phone from eBay in November, it's a great phone and I did not have to pay any duties since it said $0 for import charges.

@Sicklyslick reports that shipping by mymallbox is U$12 for ON; YMMV other provinces
Sicklyslick wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 10:30 pm
just to report back. using mymallbox redirect, they charged me $12 with no duty for shipping.

so thats a total of $120 for phone from ebay + 12 shipping. $132 USD total. $175 CAD.

2015 crowdfunded Nextbit Robin specs Comparison with Nexus 5/5X

Specs:
5.2" 1080p IPS LCD (Gorilla Glass 4)
2GHz hexa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 808
3GB RAM
32GB Internal Storage (+100 GB Cloud)
13MP rear + 5MP front facing cameras
2680mAh Li-Ion battery
Android 7.1.1 + Lineage OS Support

Bands
GSM
(for AT&T and T-Mobile networks in the US; best choice for all international users including Canada)
GSM 850/900/1800/1900
HSPA 850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100
LTE Bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/19/20/28

Other Stuff
Fingerprint ID sensor
NFC
Qualcomm™ Quick Charge 2.0
USB Type C (no USB OTG support TAT)
Nano-SIM
Bluetooth 4.0 LE
Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac

YMMV:
* no support after March 2018 (Nextbit announced 2 more years support circa March 2016)
* Nextbit is not honoring 1 yr Mfr warranty for purchases past 30 June 2017. (aka SquareTrade may be your best bet)
* Infamous Durability Test Video. The whole phone body is PLASTIC and there is no metal.
* Mostly good stuff! 2016 Review

UPDATE 21June 2017:
* Shipping/Pricing updates - Seller buyspry appears to have a third color option available "Electric Blue".
* TLDR: Finished updating to Nougat 7.1.1 after two hours, most of it was due to battery depleting after installing 7.0 first and needing to recharge. nanoSIM activation took less than 10 min via Zoomer chat online.
* Ordered Nextbit Robin (Mint ver) from B&H 6 June 2017 due to better communication/faster shipping/2 Yr SquareTrade options. UPS Parcel arrived 8 June 2017 - Phone original ETA arrival was June 12 - 19.
* Amazon.ca case/screen protector arrived 7 June 2017, one day ahead of Prime 2-day shipping schedule (via Purolator & Amazon shipping).
Last edited by kotoshin on Jun 3rd, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 38 times in total.
Thread Summary
~C$235 for a "sidegrade" equivalent to Nexus 5X , stock android 7.1.1 & LineageOS support.

Nexbit Robin is PLASTIC body, so NEEDS a case! Do Not Put In Back Pocket.

B&H is your best bet if support past MFR warranty is your main concern. FASTEST shipping @ 5-9 business days, BUT U$8.20 shipping + U$8.5 - 23.50 Custom Clearance (varies by Province). (+U$30 1 yr or +U$60 2 yr drops&spills SquareTrade protection). MINT -U$30 cheaper than Midnight.

Ebay options vary depending on if you use redirect mail service (~U$150 after shipping but before redirect mail fees, both Midnight/Mint); or direct to Canada (~U$172 after shipping, both Midnight/Mint). Only 1 YR Basic SquareTrade on checkout (NO accidental protection unlike B&H).
117 replies
Oct 27, 2016
12 posts
11 upvotes
Have been using mine for over six months now and just bought another for my sister. Solid phone, battery life improved a lot with with 7.0. I am a moderate user and it usually gets me through the day.
The JerryRigEverything video is very alarming, but even he mentions at the end of his video that bending it in half does not mean it isn't a durable smartphone. I drop mine every now and then (I have the very basic Orzly case) and no signs of any internal or external damage. Phone is all right for the price. I don't actually use the Cloud features that are the selling point of this phone, I just knock a Google Now Launcher and it suits me greatly. Camera is a 6/10.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2016
219 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Oakbeard wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 9:47 pm
Have been using mine for over six months now and just bought another for my sister. Solid phone, battery life improved a lot with with 7.0. I am a moderate user and it usually gets me through the day.
The JerryRigEverything video is very alarming, but even he mentions at the end of his video that bending it in half does not mean it isn't a durable smartphone. I drop mine every now and then (I have the very basic Orzly case) and no signs of any internal or external damage. Phone is all right for the price. I don't actually use the Cloud features that are the selling point of this phone, I just knock a Google Now Launcher and it suits me greatly. Camera is a 6/10.
Thanks for the comment! I MAY be getting this phone after tues (which is when I learn whether I should go back to ebay for a replacement battery refund, if I don't, I think I can hang on until nov 2017 black friday sales OTL).

Camera isn't that important to me - what are your experiences upgrading it to 7.0? And which version of google now launcher?
Jun 17, 2003
503 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
Great phone. I don't even use a case - design is too distinctive to cover up. As long as you're not sitting on it, it's plenty durable.
Oct 27, 2016
12 posts
11 upvotes
kotoshin wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 10:17 pm
Thanks for the comment! I MAY be getting this phone after tues (which is when I learn whether I should go back to ebay for a replacement battery refund, if I don't, I think I can hang on until nov 2017 black friday sales OTL).

Camera isn't that important to me - what are your experiences upgrading it to 7.0? And which version of google now launcher?
I just use the traditional Google Now Launcher (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cher&hl=en). They just started rolling out 7.1.1, I still haven't gotten it but people are saying it made the robin even snappier!
I just want to reiterate to everyone considering this phone about the price. If it was its original price, I would never had bought it. I purchased this after being forced to return a Redmi Note 3 Pro to ******** on my own cost of shipping (90 CAD) so for getting it here in NA and having at least the warranty from the seller, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. I paid more for both of the ones I purchased and couldn't be happier.
Nov 22, 2007
22 posts
9 upvotes
Port Moody
Thanks, ordered one.
Love this phone.
I usually tell people to buy it here

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N ... av-Search=

but the black version is cheaper on the ebay site.

This is the phone I recommend to anyone not wanting to spend over $250 on a phone that you'll be happy with for the next year or more.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2016
219 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
andjules wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 11:31 pm
Great phone. I don't even use a case - design is too distinctive to cover up. As long as you're not sitting on it, it's plenty durable.
XD that explains why most of the cases for this phone are clear.
Nov 7, 2016
3 posts
4 upvotes
It's a great phone. Highly recommended. I had bought a few cheap chinese phones like the LeTV's that had better specs, but there would always be some bugs or minor annoyances that would frustrate me. Bought this phone and have not looked back.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2016
219 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
JohnS821 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2017 6:08 am
Would it work with freedom/wind?
yes, it does indeed work with wind!
[OP]
Mar 21, 2016
219 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Oakbeard wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 11:34 pm
I just use the traditional Google Now Launcher (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cher&hl=en). They just started rolling out 7.1.1, I still haven't gotten it but people are saying it made the robin even snappier!
I just want to reiterate to everyone considering this phone about the price. If it was its original price, I would never had bought it. I purchased this after being forced to return a Redmi Note 3 Pro to ******** on my own cost of shipping (90 CAD) so for getting it here in NA and having at least the warranty from the seller, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. I paid more for both of the ones I purchased and couldn't be happier.
Your return location got censored - was it aliexpress?
Sicklyslick wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 11:36 pm
cheaper here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nextbit-Robin-5 ... rmvSB=true

doesn't ship to Canada but you can use a redirect mailing.
What redirect mailing services do you recommend? I haven't done anything of the sort before.
keldona wrote:
Jun 4th, 2017 1:35 am
Thanks, ordered one.
Love this phone.
I usually tell people to buy it here

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N ... av-Search=

but the black version is cheaper on the ebay site.

This is the phone I recommend to anyone not wanting to spend over $250 on a phone that you'll be happy with for the next year or more.
oooh, great! I don't care about the color so come Tues and if no battery, I'll probably order from b&h. have updated first post with b&h link for ppl who don't care about the color re the free shipping.
KoalaLumpur wrote:
Jun 4th, 2017 6:44 am
It's a great phone. Highly recommended. I had bought a few cheap chinese phones like the LeTV's that had better specs, but there would always be some bugs or minor annoyances that would frustrate me. Bought this phone and have not looked back.
Do you use a screen protector and case with it at all?
Looking on amazon.ca this seems to be the cheapest case + screen protector combo @ C$7.99.

Anyone have any experience with the C$13.99 CaseBase tempered Glass screen protectors 2-pack? The Orzly is only one tempered glass screen @ C$12.99. How are ppl's reports on sensitivity? I had a few Samsung phones that are a little more finicky (as in can't use stylus must use fingers) after glass screen protector was applied.

@Oakbeard Which ORZLY case did you get, the silicon ~C$10 transparent rubber or a C$12.99 bumper case shell?
Feb 24, 2015
5 posts
Richmond Hill, ON
Do we have to pay for the import charges? If so how much
[OP]
Mar 21, 2016
219 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
123egg wrote:
Jun 4th, 2017 10:00 am
Do we have to pay for the import charges? If so how much
yes but only if customs stops your parcel from eBay. depending on where you live in Canada it varies.

bhphotovideo takes care of it on checkout and you pay something like 10% for hst/custom/import. so if you don't mind the color or just plan to cover it up with one of the solid black cases go for the teal on bhphotovideo. should come to something like ~C$235 as shipping is free to Canada.