Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
eBay.ca

Breville Clearance Outlet: Refurb Breville BES870XL Barista Express, 6 mo Breville warranty- $399.99, free ship

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2019 10:22 am
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2387 posts
17484 upvotes

[eBay.ca] Breville Clearance Outlet: Refurb Breville BES870XL Barista Express, 6 mo Breville warranty- $399.99, free ship

Probably the highest rated espresso machine ever on the market - very highly rated by RFD. Most recent thread I could find was $499.99 (non-refurb) in April.

Make sure you're enrolled in eBay Bucks and you pay using PayPal to cover return shipping in case of any issues - most credit card insurance still covers even if paid with PayPal.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Breville-BES870 ... 3410319272
109 replies
Jun 4, 2019
153 posts
215 upvotes
Bought this last year for 500, one of best purchases I made. Most used appliance in our house now
Aug 23, 2011
90 posts
69 upvotes
Vancouver
wow been looking for this machine, this is a great deal even though refurbished. purchased 1 unit shows arriving july 29. thanks op.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5918 posts
7339 upvotes
Great price! I'm on my second one. Sold the first one when I moved. Love the machine. Takes a bit to dial in but once you have the it's quick to make a drink. Takes 30-45 minutes to clean every 4-6 weeks. Make sure you break up any collected grinds and vacuum out the grinder burrs.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Jun 21, 2011
170 posts
162 upvotes
New Brunswick
I've had mine for 3 years. It's been rock solid. Feed good coffee and filtered water into it and it's gonna last for a long while.
Jan 22, 2019
434 posts
459 upvotes
Average sale price for a new unit is around $479. Occasional $429 pricing. Best machine I've ever had though. I've been using it daily for the past 3 years and it has been bulletproof. Save some money and buy these Cafiza tablets from Amazon when you need to clean the machine.
Feb 8, 2017
537 posts
416 upvotes
EarthViews wrote: Average sale price for a new unit is around $479. Occasional $429 pricing. Best machine I've ever had though. I've been using it daily for the past 3 years and it has been bulletproof. Save some money and buy these Cafiza tablets from Amazon when you need to clean the machine.
Do you think I should wait for a sale price on a new unit then? Haven't had the best luck with refurbished in the past.
Mar 21, 2005
86 posts
46 upvotes
Thunder Bay
I bought a Duo Temp Pro from this seller a month or two ago for $230, wish I would've waited! If you're in the market for a home espresso machine you'd be hard pressed to find a better value for the money than this.
Jan 22, 2019
434 posts
459 upvotes
sierravista wrote: Do you think I should wait for a sale price on a new unit then? Haven't had the best luck with refurbished in the past.
I personally went for a new unit even though there was a refurb available at $399. Just peace of mind, but I'm almost certain quality wise they'll be the same considering that is a Breville eBay store. I bought mine just before Christmas but you can probably get the deal on Amazon for prime day.
Dec 17, 2017
361 posts
312 upvotes
sierravista wrote: Do you think I should wait for a sale price on a new unit then? Haven't had the best luck with refurbished in the past.
I bought a different piece of equipment from them before. It's operated by Centre du Rasoir / Personal Edge who are an authorized Breville dealer and ship from Montreal. The item I bought had an issue but the customer service was good, they offered either to replace it or give a full refund and provided a free return shipping label.
Nov 8, 2007
666 posts
387 upvotes
Great machine, not sure how I feel about refurb though. Got it new for about $480 and things have been good for 8 months so far.
There is about a 1-2 week initial learning curve before you start pulling decent shots.

Only complaint would be the steam wand is a bit inconsistent on my unit.
The steam stream isn't steady and makes an annoying high-pitched scream until the 2nd or 3rd use in a row.
Nov 25, 2010
100 posts
95 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Thanks op. Cheapest i’ve seen this unit go. Ordered.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5918 posts
7339 upvotes
Neo_ZX wrote: Great machine, not sure how I feel about refurb though. Got it new for about $480 and things have been good for 8 months so far.
There is about a 1-2 week initial learning curve before you start pulling decent shots.

Only complaint would be the steam wand is a bit inconsistent on my unit.
The steam stream isn't steady and makes an annoying high-pitched scream until the 2nd or 3rd use in a row.
Its not your unit, its just a by product of the design. Both of my units did what you are describing.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5918 posts
7339 upvotes
lol_face3 wrote: Thanks op. Cheapest i’ve seen this unit go. Ordered.
Back in may 2018 it was $336+tax. It was $400ish but there was a 20% off coupon. I don't think we will see that deal again though. I would totally recommend this machine for any price under $500, nothing else comes close unless you spend $1000+
Last edited by fatestkid on Jul 11th, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5918 posts
7339 upvotes
If you get it I recommend you start with double shot single wall basket because it is more forgiving. If its your first time making espresso it'll probably take you 10-15 shots before you get the hang of it. There are four baskets included, you want to use the double shot single wall basket. The double wall baskets are in a way "cheating" because they have a valve which doesn't open until the correct pressure is built up, but by doing that you never learn whether you had your coffee at the right grind size, whether you tamped properly etc.

The machine prefers medium oily beans, less then Starbucks but not super light/dry either. I've used three local roasters and also kicking horse espresso from Amazon and have had good results. Most beans work good at about 8-9 grind size, but some prefer 5-7 and the rest is in the tamping and amount of coffee.

The grinder has an auto dosing feature which means you set the size of the basket, put the portafilter into the holder and push once and it'll auto dispense. This feature is very wasteful and always gives you too much coffee. So I recommend you just do manual filling which is the same process except that you have to hold the porta filter pushed in. What I do is a hybrid, I set the basket size to single, dosing quantity to max and then use that for a double basket. This gives me 80% of what I need and then I top it off. Reduces coffee waste a lot.

If you are going to steam milk make the espresso first then steam the milk because espresso is brewed at a lower temperature. If you prefer to not to have your espresso get cold while you steam then you can steam first, but before making your espresso shot just run an empty espresso brew so that the hot steam water is flushed.

If after a few weeks of using it you find that your shots are becoming inconsistent, it is likely that there is a powder caked on to the bottom of the grinder burr. Pull the bean hopper off, pull the top burr off and use a flash light to see the bottom burr. Use the bristle brush and a toothpick to break apart the caked on coffee and vacuum it out.

Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
2438 posts
1034 upvotes
fatestkid wrote: If you get it I recommend you start with double shot single wall basket because it is more forgiving. If its your first time making espresso it'll probably take you 10-15 shots before you get the hang of it. There are four baskets included, you want to use the double shot single wall basket. The double wall baskets are in a way "cheating" because they have a valve which doesn't open until the correct pressure is built up, but by doing that you never learn whether you had your coffee at the right grind size, whether you tamped properly etc.

The machine prefers medium oily beans, less then Starbucks but not super light/dry either. I've used three local roasters and also kicking horse espresso from Amazon and have had good results. Most beans work good at about 8-9 grind size, but some prefer 5-7 and the rest is in the tamping and amount of coffee.

The grinder has an auto dosing feature which means you set the size of the basket, put the portafilter into the holder and push once and it'll auto dispense. This feature is very wasteful and always gives you too much coffee. So I recommend you just do manual filling which is the same process except that you have to hold the porta filter pushed in. What I do is a hybrid, I set the basket size to single, dosing quantity to max and then use that for a double basket. This gives me 80% of what I need and then I top it off. Reduces coffee waste a lot.

If you are going to steam milk make the espresso first then steam the milk because espresso is brewed at a lower temperature. If you prefer to not to have your espresso get cold while you steam then you can steam first, but before making your espresso shot just run an empty espresso brew so that the hot steam water is flushed.

If after a few weeks of using it you find that your shots are becoming inconsistent, it is likely that there is a powder caked on to the bottom of the grinder burr. Pull the bean hopper off, pull the top burr off and use a flash light to see the bottom burr. Use the bristle brush and a toothpick to break apart the caked on coffee and vacuum it out.
Do superautomatics require this much maintenance? I assume this one makes much better coffee. I'm a bit lazy but willing to learn. Maybe prime day will have the same deal but new.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5918 posts
7339 upvotes
jon604 wrote: Do superautomatics require this much maintenance? I assume this one makes much better coffee. I'm a bit lazy but willing to learn. Maybe prime day will have the same deal but new.
I haven't owned one but from what I have read they require more maintenance and they break down more often. There are significantly more moving parts in a superauto so more likely to require repair.

Nov 8, 2007
666 posts
387 upvotes
fatestkid wrote: If you get it I recommend you start with double shot single wall basket because it is more forgiving. If its your first time making espresso it'll probably take you 10-15 shots before you get the hang of it. There are four baskets included, you want to use the double shot single wall basket. The double wall baskets are in a way "cheating" because they have a valve which doesn't open until the correct pressure is built up, but by doing that you never learn whether you had your coffee at the right grind size, whether you tamped properly etc.
Thanks for this! I always meant to look up what the difference was and now I know!
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4652 posts
1086 upvotes
Toronto
Ultimately, you really want to get good at making espresso using the single wall basket (the one with lots of holes in the bottom, rather than 1 hole) because that makes the better tasting coffee and offers more precision. The double wall basket generates extra pressure with the single hole, but it's like a cheat to brewing a good shot. You get better shots using the single wall basket. The double wall basket is also necessary if you have a crappy grinder, however this machine comes with a good enough burr grinder to use the single wall basket.

I agree that the double wall basket is much easier for beginners. Before I got a good coffee grinder, I absolutely could NOT brew a good shot using my Breville Infuser (basically this but without the built-in grinder) using the single wall basket. I had to use the double wall basket because my cheap burr grinder couldn't grind the coffee fine enough.
------

Here are my tips for starting out with the Breville machine and using the single wall double shot basket (the one you want to be using anyways):

-Buy fresh beans!! Go to either a local roaster who roasts on-site or go to a store like Longos where they have an in-house roaster. Buy beans that have a "roasted on" date rather than a "best before" date and buy beans that are roasted within the past week.
-Dont go too light or too dark at first with your beans - dark oily beans can clog your machine. I'd recommend sticking to medium roast (doesn't even have to be labelled "espresso") at first, or a blend with at least 50% medium roast beans.
-Grind your beans very fine at first, then dial it back until you hit the "optimal" zone on the gauge (between the two screws)
-you'll need to grind more (loose) coffee than you realize - it should extend over the lip of the portafilter before you tamp.

I honestly watched this video 5-10 times when I first got my Breville machine over the first month and it was very helpful:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)