Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
eBay.ca

Breville Clearance Outlet: Refurb Breville BES870XL Barista Express, 6 mo Breville warranty- $399.99, free ship

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2019 10:22 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5918 posts
7339 upvotes
guillaume019 wrote: I don't want to start a big debate, but one of the rfd goal is to help people save money, so I think my proposition is a valid one
No offence but they are not the same price.

1.2g tablets (100x) = 120g = 18.13$ = 15 cents/gram
2.0g tablets (100x) = 200g = 23.88$ = 12 cents/gram
566g powder = 23.48$ = 4 cents/100g

I use 1/2 tee spoon which is about 1.5g
P.S. I'm also a barista express owner
Fair point. No debate from my end. Thank you for providing the helpful cost breakdown.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Jul 23, 2010
13 posts
1 upvote
After the deal seemed to out of stock, I found another refurbished one for $379.99 on BestBuy Marketplace from a company called Vgi. Had to pay shipping which cancelled out the extra $20 savings, but it arrived in great shape with everything all packaged properly, also with a 6 month warranty. Used it all weekend, seems like a great machine!

I just looked and it seems they only had the one. They list a bunch of other Breville stuff though.
Mar 24, 2017
27 posts
1 upvote
So I ended up getting a refurbished breville touch and having some issues pulling a good shot.
I’m using the single wall, double shot
I know every bean is different so the results will be different. I am down to grind size of 5, and grinding for about 15 seconds.
My shots start pouring at about 5 seconds and are very watery.
I’ve been able to get the odd one to pull properly and the results were amazing.
So my question is what grind size are others using and how much are your grinding.
Any tips would be great.

Also does going to a finer grind make a better or worse shot?
And I am using good quality fresh beans.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4652 posts
1086 upvotes
Toronto
Rpdp18 wrote: So I ended up getting a refurbished breville touch and having some issues pulling a good shot.
I know every bean is different so the results will be different. I am down to grind size of 5, and grinding for about 15 seconds.
I’ve been able to get the odd one to pull properly and the results were amazing.
So my question is what grind size are others using and how much are your grinding.
Any tips would be great.

What beans are you using? What roast (light, medium or dark)? I'd start with medium beans.

Your grind should be fairly fine, but not too fine or it will clog the portafilter. Have you watched the Breville video? It's pretty helpful:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5918 posts
7339 upvotes
Rpdp18 wrote: So I ended up getting a refurbished breville touch and having some issues pulling a good shot.
Any tips would be great.

Are your beans really dry or really oily? Finer grind won't make it better or worse. You need to be the right grind size. I usually use grind size 5-6 for most medium roast beans and go by visual quantity check. Try playing with your quantity and tamping pressure because I suspect your grind size is correct since you did have a few good shots. Change one variable at a time.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Mar 24, 2017
27 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for the info
I got the beans at beanwise. They are Italian, medium roast and not very oily. I believe it’s Oro Premium beans.
The weird thing is the one shot that was perfect was at a grind size of 13 or so. Did the exact same thing the next morning and it was basically all water as it poured after a few seconds.
The puck always comes out relatively dry and solid.

Using a grind of 5 now and still pours a little early at about 6 seconds. Apparently it should be at around 9

If I try tamping with more pressure I’m worried it would be packed too low in the portafilter. I guess I have nothing too lose but a few more beans.
Sep 29, 2011
247 posts
220 upvotes
Quebec
There are many ways to fine tune your espresso shots

The simple way is to check volume vs time, for a double shot, you should extract 2oz (60ml) in 25-30 seconds.
Some people prefer to go by weight, again for a double espresso, your dry to liquid ratio should be about 1:2, means 16g of dry coffee should give you about 32g of liquid coffee in 25-30 seconds. https://www.home-barista.com/tips/brewi ... t2402.html
You can easily acheve the second method by taring your portafilter and your espresso glass before each step.

My grinder setup technique is to go all the way down until I choke my machine and they go up a notch. This give me a nice slow extraction, nice crema, color and nice taste (I'm usually between settings #1-2-3 on the grinder). But again like you sand beans vary (like water and tamping pressure). At the end taste is king so go with what you prefer!
Nov 19, 2016
904 posts
621 upvotes
Can someone comment on taste of the Americanos they make from the Breville versus pour over coffees?

I'm curious about this machine but we don't drink expresso, just coffee in the house.
Mar 24, 2017
27 posts
1 upvote
I went to a grind size of 1, fresh medium roast beans and weighed out 18g.
My shot starts at 7 seconds.
I went to a store that sells the same machine I have and used the same beans.
When I was there, they let me use the machine to test it out. We did a grind of 7 for 16 seconds I believe. The shot poured at 9 seconds and was perfect.
Tried the exact same thing at home and poured at 4 seconds.

The tamping was the same. Not sure what else to do or try.
Starting to think my machine is a lemon.
Any other thoughts?
Sep 29, 2011
247 posts
220 upvotes
Quebec
I dont think we can compare grinder settings on 2 different machines like you do.
Please note that there is another setting on the burr itself so the left outside dial setting is not the only one.
Temperature, humidity, water, filter (and more) are all parameters that can influence your shot

When you time your shot, what is the total time? Total volume? Weight output?

But, most important part, do you like your shot? If not, too bitter? Too sour?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)