• Nov 15th, 2017 12:25 am
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2947 posts
2106 upvotes
Burnaby
pauldryan wrote:
Sep 4th, 2017 11:31 am
Owned this tablet since the Factory Direct Deal @ $99 a couple of years ago (?)

Rooted and it worked great but did need to use "Market Helper" app to load quite a number of my preferred apps. Unfortunately, as of four or five months ago I started having problems updating apps with Google Play and then apps started to refuse to work at all courtesy of Google's 'de-certifying' the device. Then last month, it just shut down and refused to reboot. I even dissembled and removed/re-installed the battery but couldn't get past the lit "Kobo Arc 10HD" screen. It's now a boat anchor.

My recommendation: This was a good deal up until the last few months but now the problems across the board with apps just make this a poor investment. Save your money pick something else.
I have always wondered whether the 10HD use for main storage a memory card instead of a soldered eMMC chip, like some other older Kobo devices (older e-ink e-readers), but I've never come across a how-to for disassembling one of these.

How did you disassemble your 10HD? Could you post the steps to follow, hints and warnings? was the main memory soldered on board?
yare yare daze...

[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion and advertising]
Aug 12, 2014
63 posts
116 upvotes
Surrey, BC
7'' worth it for textbooks? Or am I better off saving the money?
Jul 1, 2015
28 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Looks like both models back in stock, plus they have the glo e-reader for $40. Anyone know if the glo is decent?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1466 posts
239 upvotes
Belle River
I can't get past the login screen, and I don't see any way to skip it. Google just says bad useragent which sounds like the browser under the hood of the setup screens is too old. Is the only way past to create a Kobo account?
Mar 5, 2010
566 posts
299 upvotes
Ottawa
hystavito wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 4:55 am
I can't get past the login screen, and I don't see any way to skip it. Google just says bad useragent which sounds like the browser under the hood of the setup screens is too old. Is the only way past to create a Kobo account?
That's what i ended up doing. You can add a google account later if you want.
Also for anyone who owns the arc 10 hd, does installing cm improve the performance of the tablet or does it just open up the software possibilities of it?
Oct 22, 2007
226 posts
119 upvotes
Just got my 10HD... charging it but it won't turn on yet.... the white light next to the power button is lit up... but nothing else............ help
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1466 posts
239 upvotes
Belle River
dealio411 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 1:39 pm
Just got my 10HD... charging it but it won't turn on yet.... the white light next to the power button is lit up... but nothing else............ help
Maybe you didn't hold the button long enough?

Is there an owner's thread we should be doing this in? I found this one but title suggests it's not for regular users:
kobo-arc-7hd-10hd-rooting-development-thread-1624029/
Oct 22, 2007
226 posts
119 upvotes
It's working now... if it's the battery is completely depleted, it won't turn on until after about 15 minutes of charging.... hope this helps someone else...

Good tablet! IMHO!
Sep 4, 2010
288 posts
85 upvotes
Brampton
Got the 10HD. Little slow, great screen. For the kids to play games, steam shows. I'd say definitely worth the purchase price!
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
1900 posts
387 upvotes
Just purchase the 10" and 7" for kids.

Can someone direct me to latest CM for 10" model?
Not sure what the latest one is for the model.
Jun 3, 2007
305 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
Wow! Just got my kobo 10hd (super fast shipping) and I have to wonder if there has been some kind of agenda here against this tablet!
Firstly, reports of "most" apps not available for it are quite exaggerated. E.g. Chrome/Chrome beta install just fine on my un-modified tablet. As well, most of my apps (I have literally hundreds) look like they'd install just fine. It's a fantastic buy, imo. Caveat - I don't care at all about social media (this is planned as a kids tablet and I care about my privacy) apps, so I don't know/care if they work.

One con I have is my screen has a very slight flicker (it looks like the lamp has trouble maintaining a consistent intensity and dims/brightens every few seconds). Reminds me of my old Nook Color (!) It's a very subtle issue tho, so much that it is close to imperceptible (certainly not to a child). Oh, and it is quite heavy.

One tip, I installed Jelly Bean Launcher Loader to reset the launcher to Google Now launcher (I find it much better than the default launcher) and I'm quite happy w/ it's performance and capability.

Also, this should be put back into Hot Deals as both are still available.
Last edited by Yzord on Sep 7th, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 3, 2007
305 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
joongpark wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 9:48 pm
Just purchase the 10" and 7" for kids.

Can someone direct me to latest CM for 10" model?
Not sure what the latest one is for the model.
See the 2nd post - it has a link to a hacked CM12.1 (which is Android 5.1.1 aka lolipop). That's the newest available.