Expired Hot Deals

[eBay.ca] Newegg ebay HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5" 4TB $164.99 FS

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2017 12:13 am
Feb 6, 2017
39 posts
21 upvotes
I have 4 of those in my NAS for almost 2 years now, no issues.
Nov 29, 2006
594 posts
99 upvotes
is this deal as good as they come generally?
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21197 posts
2184 upvotes
ktkn wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 4:11 pm
is this deal as good as they come generally?
For a 7200RPM, NAS-intended drive? Yeah pretty much. It's about the same as the 5TB though, with the 4TB being $41/TB and the 5TB being $43/TB.

I personally thought the WD Black 5TB for $230 was a better deal given the 5yr warranty. Which is why I bought two of those, heh. But that deal is dead now, so yeah for a 7200RPM drive that's also NAS specified, it's a good deal.

There's also the Toshiba ones, which go for around the same as well:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TOSHIBA-Desktop- ... 280af85e45
But note this is not intended for NAS use.

If you want larger, the Seagate IronWolf 6TB is at NCIX for $250 (one-day sale):
http://www.ncix.com/detail/seagate-iron ... omoid=1146
Similarly $42/TB, for NAS use, 7200RPM, RV mitigation.

There's actually a pretty good selection of high-performance NAS drives these days.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21197 posts
2184 upvotes
BenK wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 1:21 pm
no warranty at all on the refurbs?
Don't buy refurb HDDs. They're never actually "refurbished" I have no idea why they get away with calling them that. I guess wiping them and testing them qualifies as "refurbishing" though. Refurb HDDs are all used drives, plain and simple. Drives you buy will have been in previous server operation and will have tens of thousands of hours on them when you get them. Basically they are ticking time bombs and not at all worth the fairly meager discount v. new. They're typically 60-75% the price of a new drive, and really they should be 25% tops!
Oct 7, 2015
100 posts
36 upvotes
Vanier, ON
Dumb question : Can I use this for my desktop, or NAS only?
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21197 posts
2184 upvotes
x8ssJoe wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 5:15 pm
Can certainly be used as a desktop drive as well.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
6817 posts
860 upvotes
Winnipeg
ES_Revenge wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 5:11 pm
Don't buy refurb HDDs. They're never actually "refurbished" I have no idea why they get away with calling them that. I guess wiping them and testing them qualifies as "refurbishing" though. Refurb HDDs are all used drives, plain and simple. Drives you buy will have been in previous server operation and will have tens of thousands of hours on them when you get them. Basically they are ticking time bombs and not at all worth the fairly meager discount v. new. They're typically 60-75% the price of a new drive, and really they should be 25% tops!
I bought a refurb hgst 2tb drive for quick cheap back up replacement in times of need. I never touched it for over a year(after testing it). Then I had a wd die, quick swap and all good to go. Instead of waiting for the rma or have to buy new if rma is over. It came in handy.

Pulled it after new replacement. Still sits there ready to be used again. Has a niche!!! kinda like a tool to have available at a cheap price.

Does anyone have the current warranty of rma'ed replacement drives? The drives you receive as replacements from rma. Are they just one year? or remaining time of original drive etc. I remember when refurbished drives were the drives you received when you requested replacement.
Oct 7, 2015
100 posts
36 upvotes
Vanier, ON
ES_Revenge wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 5:28 pm
Can certainly be used as a desktop drive as well.
Thanks !
Nov 29, 2006
594 posts
99 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 5:04 pm
For a 7200RPM, NAS-intended drive? Yeah pretty much. It's about the same as the 5TB though, with the 4TB being $41/TB and the 5TB being $43/TB.

I personally thought the WD Black 5TB for $230 was a better deal given the 5yr warranty. Which is why I bought two of those, heh. But that deal is dead now, so yeah for a 7200RPM drive that's also NAS specified, it's a good deal.

There's also the Toshiba ones, which go for around the same as well:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TOSHIBA-Desktop- ... 280af85e45
But note this is not intended for NAS use.

If you want larger, the Seagate IronWolf 6TB is at NCIX for $250 (one-day sale):
http://www.ncix.com/detail/seagate-iron ... omoid=1146
Similarly $42/TB, for NAS use, 7200RPM, RV mitigation.

There's actually a pretty good selection of high-performance NAS drives these days.
Thanks, bought!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5314 posts
1352 upvotes
Cornwall PE
ES_Revenge wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 5:11 pm
Think you are confusing refurbed with remaned, Anyway with twice the usual service life and likely lower tolerance for failure as regular consumer drives they are a better choice at least then many of the consumer drives made for nas. I have two of the 3tb drives in use for over two years now.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Banned
Jan 3, 2017
160 posts
61 upvotes
First the drives are very fast, much faster than the 4tb Seagate NAS hard drives and Western Digital 3tb Red drives that I have.
May 9, 2008
315 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
How do I test this drive? Do I need to pop it in a NAS? or can I test it from a machine?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
7541 posts
707 upvotes
Richmond Hill
x8ssJoe wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 5:15 pm
Nas drive has firmware for raid setup not single drive which is most common in desktop, it allows only 7 seconds to recover an error, it should be disabled before use as a single drive. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_r ... prov=sfla1