• Mar 21st, 2017 12:13 am
Sep 3, 2002
664 posts
181 upvotes
GTA
BenK wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 1:21 pm
no warranty at all on the refurbs?
There can be if you buy it through newegg.ca and not their eBay store. It's $9 for 1y. I never buy those plans, but I did this time just to ensure I get a year out of it at least.
Last edited by theSPOOLER on Mar 17th, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 3, 2002
664 posts
181 upvotes
GTA
ES_Revenge wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 5:11 pm
Don't buy refurb HDDs. They're never actually "refurbished" I have no idea why they get away with calling them that. I guess wiping them and testing them qualifies as "refurbishing" though. Refurb HDDs are all used drives, plain and simple. Drives you buy will have been in previous server operation and will have tens of thousands of hours on them when you get them. Basically they are ticking time bombs and not at all worth the fairly meager discount v. new. They're typically 60-75% the price of a new drive, and really they should be 25% tops!
While that's good advice for your mom or dad or for regular desktop use, this is a NAS thread, so it all depends on the drive and your use. If you have planned for failure, there is nothing wrong with a refurb. The reality is all drives can fail whether brand new or used, in my experience, the majority will likely reach their useful end of life without failure. Now that it's getting more difficult to cram data on the platters and the capacity race has slowed down, that will likely change. My array is already full of drives with 2 or more years of service, adding another doesn't concern me.
Aug 19, 2002
332 posts
62 upvotes
theSPOOLER wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 11:29 am
While that's good advice for your mom or dad or for regular desktop use, this is a NAS thread, so it all depends on the drive and your use.
What makes this a NAS thread exactly? :)

I know at least one person who doesn't trust the Deskstars as much as the Ultrastars since WD purchased HGST, but in my experience this model performs really well, and the manufacturer still rates it higher for reliability (1 million MTTF vs 300k for the similarly priced Seagate drives, for instance) if that means anything.

IMO if you're running drives in an array the can be rebuilt quickly, using refurb drives is fine if you have enough parity to handle multiple failures, and your risk of a failure during rebuilding isn't too high. Using some of the savings to buy more refurb drives as additional parity or as full mirrors probably isn't a bad strategy at all.

But this isn't just a NAS thread, technically it's a thread about a hard drive on sale. :)
Oct 7, 2015
111 posts
61 upvotes
Vanier, ON
wlee wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 9:31 am
Nas drive has firmware for raid setup not single drive which is most common in desktop, it allows only 7 seconds to recover an error, it should be disabled before use as a single drive. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_r ... prov=sfla1
Thanks for the tip. How about quality ? Do them general make NAS drives better or what ?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
7577 posts
710 upvotes
Richmond Hill
NAS drives have better component/features/build quality/warranty over regular desktop hdds, better use NAS drives in NAS.
Sep 3, 2002
664 posts
181 upvotes
GTA
Writer wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 1:09 pm
What makes this a NAS thread exactly? :)

But this isn't just a NAS thread, technically it's a thread about a hard drive on sale. :)
The title. It's a thread about a certain NAS drive on sale, the Deskstar NAS.

I have refurb Ultrastars and retail Deskstars in my array. I'm happy with both. My point was simply that refurb is fine if your bases are covered. If they're not, that's not good, it doesn't matter if the drive is brand new or not. Every drive is a ticking time bomb if there is no back up.
Aug 19, 2002
332 posts
62 upvotes
Well, if you really want to be pedantic, the Deskstar NAS is marketed as a "Desktop NAS" drive. I suppose that means this is a "NAS that sits on a desk" thread. ;)
Nov 16, 2015
376 posts
291 upvotes
t.drizl
Writer wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 1:09 pm
I know at least one person who doesn't trust the Deskstars as much as the Ultrastars since WD purchased HGST, but in my experience this model performs really well, and the manufacturer still rates it higher for reliability (1 million MTTF vs 300k for the similarly priced Seagate drives, for instance) if that means anything.
The way I understand it WD had the wisdom to keep HGST mostly intact and in the same fab. The third party stats empirically confirming better reliability have continued coming after the sale; I agree with - what I think is - your position that their prejudice is irrational.
IMO if you're running drives in an array the can be rebuilt quickly using refurb drives is fine if you have enough parity to handle multiple failures, and your risk of a failure during rebuilding isn't too high. Using some of the savings to buy more refurb drives as additional parity or as full mirrors probably isn't a bad strategy at all.
Interesting that the chatter lately has been about just how slow rebuilding relatively "enormous" modern arrays has become and how we are encountering situations where, depending on RAID level and technology, the possibility of enough other drives failing during a rebuild to cause a critical fail is starting to enter the realm of reasonable considerations.
I suppose that means this is a "NAS that sits on a desk" thread.
+1.
Please excuse my son, he's artistic.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1149 posts
270 upvotes
BC
apvm wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 2:59 pm
For those who missed it, they just restocked.
OOS again. Dang, too bad, had a $15 off $75 USD to use for next 3 hours :(
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
1107 posts
150 upvotes
Ottawa
Timbo420 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 7:52 pm
OOS again. Dang, too bad, had a $15 off $75 USD to use for next 3 hours :(
Yeah was gonna buy this one with that coupon and stack ebates on top of that but it was OOS. Went with the WD Red 4TB from NCIX instead
Aug 19, 2002
332 posts
62 upvotes
pwntiac wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 4:09 am
Interesting that the chatter lately has been about just how slow rebuilding relatively "enormous" modern arrays has become and how we are encountering situations where, depending on RAID level and technology, the possibility of enough other drives failing during a rebuild to cause a critical fail is starting to enter the realm of reasonable considerations.
It's getting to the point where RAID is increasingly being considered obsolete -- as capacities increase, the corresponding increase in rebuild times starts to make the risk of a catastrophic failure during rebuild a significant consideration. I think this is partly why software approaches like SnapRAID are becoming popular. (Since you can increase the parity even further, and it's implemented above the file system so you can backup parity and data before performing recover operations, etc.)

I think a lot of people use RAID where it isn't the best tool for the job, though.