Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2003
4589 posts
502 upvotes
GVR
DealsnCoupons wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 5:42 pm
Update:

Purchased on 8th. Told it was being shipped on the 11th with delivery date between 18-26th but I received it today. Tablet looks brand new. I'll update on the charging of the tablet once I start using it. Bought the 10" but should of got the 7 :(
*should have
Jan 27, 2015
145 posts
58 upvotes
King City, ON
misterlamed wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 5:03 pm
maybe reseting the device?
On a whim, I unplugged the 10HD, and then it immediately logged onto the wifi. So that seems to have made the difference. Go figure. Now trying to sort out the Android OS.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2012
144 posts
115 upvotes
Markham
DealsnCoupons wrote:
Update:

Purchased on 8th. Told it was being shipped on the 11th with delivery date between 18-26th but I received it today. Tablet looks brand new. I'll update on the charging of the tablet once I start using it. Bought the 10" but should of got the 7 :(
10 is better doe o.o
Jan 3, 2007
410 posts
45 upvotes
genericasianguy wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 8:04 pm
Ordered on Saturday, received my 10HD today. Perfect condition, came with AC adapter and USB cable. Turned it on and it was 70% charged already. Debated for a couple of minutes whether or not I wanted to stick with the stock 4.2.2 Android but decided that the allure of Cyanogenmod was too much.

Rooted, flashed TWRP, CM 12.1.1, Kernel R8, Open GApps, and Xposed. Just finished booting :)

I'll probably wipe /data (not Internal Storage) and /system and re-install CM, GApps and Xposed to get rid of all the pre-installed apps and start fresh. Pretty happy with the purchase.

so for the CM12.1.1, the playstore and Google map works? thanks
Sep 10, 2017
12 posts
19 upvotes
DealsnCoupons wrote:
Update:

If it makes you feel any better, the 10 inch is a much better device. The only benefit to the 7 is if you want portability. It's a bit on the big side, but the 7 can reasonably fit in a dad jean pocket. 10 not so much.

If you want a tablet for at home, or to throw in a bag, there's no reason to not get the 10. People complaining about how heavy it is, start lifting weights. Deal alert Cliff Protein bars are only 1.99 at Bulk Barn, guzzle down a few of those, do some deadlifts, and you won't care that the tablet is a bit heavy, you'll embrace it,
[OP]
Dec 15, 2012
144 posts
115 upvotes
Markham
ihatedeals wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 7:10 pm
If you want a tablet for at home, or to throw in a bag, there's no reason to not get the 10. People complaining about how heavy it is, start lifting weights. Deal alert Cliff Protein bars are only 1.99 at Bulk Barn, guzzle down a few of those, do some deadlifts, and you won't care that the tablet is a bit heavy, you'll embrace it,
LOL I LOVE THAT :D
Jan 1, 2014
26 posts
ehhh still not working for me,

they offered me an exchange or a refund.

I opted for an exchange, we ll see how that goes
Oct 25, 2010
73 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
cats_on_burners wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 9:26 pm
I used cydia impactor, but I think towelroot V1 works also.
May I ask where you find the V1 version? I can only find the V3 online and it says my device is not supported (Arc 7HD)... Thanks in advance.
Mar 7, 2011
12 posts
2 upvotes
Those who bought ARC 7HD did it come in a generic brown box or the original box? and with or without charger?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
1897 posts
356 upvotes
I was trying to root and install custom ROM on my new ARC 10HD and it was way too difficult.
However, here is guide that makes it 10000% easier as root and everything is done on the tablet instead of PC.

Thanks to original poster

Some people have been asking so I thought I'd post my total noob instructions for updating the Kobo to 5.1.1
Thanks Cal and Krispy from the original thread for all the help,
-- this is my first android device ever so please follow these at your own risk and PLEASE double check the original thread just in case I missed anything crucial (also if anyone catches anything I'm happy to update this post).

Prep the Kobo
1. Start your Kobo, do the update, set it up like normal
2. Open the settings app, go to security tab, and turn on the ability to install untrusted stuff (there’s two checkboxes for that)
3. Go to about your kobo, look for the build number, and tap that 7 times, it’ll unlock developer mode
4. Go to the new developer mode and turn on usb debugging (this step seems to be bonus for now, but might be useful if you get into trouble)

Get the right files
1. On the Kobo, go to this post on the xda forum: http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy- ... 3-t2802021
About halfway down someone posted Towelroot V1.apk, download this
2. Go to downloads app, and install this app (click it if a security warning pop-up), open the app and click the button (there’s only one). It’ll freeze for about 15 seconds then reboot.
3. On your computer download all the ‘necessary files’ from this link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... e_web#list
4. On your computer download the google apps from this link: http://opengapps.org/?api=5.1&variant=nano (all the right options are already clicked, just hit download)
5. On you Kobo, go to the google play store, set up an account if you need to, and install Flashify

Install TWRP
1. In your new ‘necessary apps’ folders, copy the following to the download folder on your kobo, if you’re using a mac, you’ll need the free Android File Transfer app on your mac to do so:
a. From the main folder: cm-12.1-20160704-UNOFFICIAL-macallan.zip
b. From the /recovery images folder: cm-kobo-10hd-twrp-3.0.2-0-r1.img
c. From /flashable kernel zips folder: cm-kobo-10hd-kernel-r3.zip
d. Also copy over the google apps package you downloaded separately

2. Open Flashify, then do a backup (hit the plus in the bottom corner of the backups tab) and backup anything you can just in case
3. In Flashify, flash your Recovery Image! Tap that option, then we’re going to find one of the files we copied over, so navigate to your downloads folder, and tap cm-kobo-10hd-twrp-3.0.2-0-r1.img ---- this is TWRP
4. Give it a minute, it should reboot into TWRP. If not, and you’re back to your usual Kobo, reboot, and hold power + volume up (*or power + volume down if that doesn't work*) when it reboots to load into TWRP

Flash the new ROMs
1. In TWRP, tap install, then navigate to your downloads folder, and install the new ROM: cm-12.1-20160704-UNOFFICIAL-macallan.zip
2. Then, refresh everything, it’ll take a WHILE to reboot into your new setup so don’t panic
3. You can then restart into TWRP and repeat the same install process for the kernel, and the google apps you also copied over
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2011
2194 posts
758 upvotes
joongpark wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:42 pm
I was trying to root and install custom ROM on my new ARC 10HD and it was way too difficult.
However, here is guide that makes it 10000% easier as root and everything is done on the tablet instead of PC.

Thanks to original poster

Some people have been asking so I thought I'd post my total noob instructions for updating the Kobo to 5.1.1
Thanks Cal and Krispy from the original thread for all the help,
-- this is my first android device ever so please follow these at your own risk and PLEASE double check the original thread just in case I missed anything crucial (also if anyone catches anything I'm happy to update this post).

Prep the Kobo
1. Start your Kobo, do the update, set it up like normal
2. Open the settings app, go to security tab, and turn on the ability to install untrusted stuff (there’s two checkboxes for that)
3. Go to about your kobo, look for the build number, and tap that 7 times, it’ll unlock developer mode
4. Go to the new developer mode and turn on usb debugging (this step seems to be bonus for now, but might be useful if you get into trouble)

Get the right files
1. On the Kobo, go to this post on the xda forum: http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy- ... 3-t2802021
About halfway down someone posted Towelroot V1.apk, download this
2. Go to downloads app, and install this app (click it if a security warning pop-up), open the app and click the button (there’s only one). It’ll freeze for about 15 seconds then reboot.
3. On your computer download all the ‘necessary files’ from this link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... e_web#list
4. On your computer download the google apps from this link: http://opengapps.org/?api=5.1&variant=nano (all the right options are already clicked, just hit download)
5. On you Kobo, go to the google play store, set up an account if you need to, and install Flashify

Install TWRP
1. In your new ‘necessary apps’ folders, copy the following to the download folder on your kobo, if you’re using a mac, you’ll need the free Android File Transfer app on your mac to do so:
a. From the main folder: cm-12.1-20160704-UNOFFICIAL-macallan.zip
b. From the /recovery images folder: cm-kobo-10hd-twrp-3.0.2-0-r1.img
c. From /flashable kernel zips folder: cm-kobo-10hd-kernel-r3.zip
d. Also copy over the google apps package you downloaded separately

2. Open Flashify, then do a backup (hit the plus in the bottom corner of the backups tab) and backup anything you can just in case
3. In Flashify, flash your Recovery Image! Tap that option, then we’re going to find one of the files we copied over, so navigate to your downloads folder, and tap cm-kobo-10hd-twrp-3.0.2-0-r1.img ---- this is TWRP
4. Give it a minute, it should reboot into TWRP. If not, and you’re back to your usual Kobo, reboot, and hold power + volume up (*or power + volume down if that doesn't work*) when it reboots to load into TWRP

Flash the new ROMs
1. In TWRP, tap install, then navigate to your downloads folder, and install the new ROM: cm-12.1-20160704-UNOFFICIAL-macallan.zip
2. Then, refresh everything, it’ll take a WHILE to reboot into your new setup so don’t panic
3. You can then restart into TWRP and repeat the same install process for the kernel, and the google apps you also copied over
With this, I'm unable to install google apps (the install work but they are dont show anywhere)
[OP]
Dec 15, 2012
144 posts
115 upvotes
Markham
I found Kobo Arc 7 Stock Rom i dunno if HD makes a difference?
Last edited by misterlamed on Sep 13th, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 27, 2007
13081 posts
4970 upvotes
Kitchener
misterlamed wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:10 pm
I found Kobo Arc 7 Stock Rom i dunno if HD makes a difference?
https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... 7-t3670309
You will brick your tablet if you attempt installing this, Arc 7 is a totally different hardware.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
11671 posts
867 upvotes
Anyone able to load up Netflix on the rooted CM12.1 Kobo 10HD?

At the moment, it seems to be incompatible and I cannot download it off play store.

Same goes for Chrome browser.

Any way to fake this to be Nexus 9?
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
11671 posts
867 upvotes
salty72 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 7:59 pm
For anyone that is still running the factory Rom on the arc 10hd, can you please send me the build.prop file in the system directory. The custom ROM is not compatible with many apps in the Play store while the factory ROM is (even though it's an older version).
I'm hoping by merging specific strings that we can make the custom ROM compatible with the Play store apps like Chrome without needing the user to sideload them. I flashed my tablet before taking a copy of the build.prop file hence the ask.
I did post the same request earlier in the thread but did not get any takers.
Thanks.
Following..same issues.. custom ROM is useless with most Play Store apps