• Oct 16th, 2017 11:11 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2385 posts
849 upvotes
Montreal
WashingLane wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 9:31 pm
The 10" Kobo came after the iPad Air 1 and it should really perform better but it lacks any significant XDA development. We're mostly stuck with a buggy version of CM and the performance isn't great even with it on. It's too bad because the display is better than anything else at this price point and the basic specs are decent enough. In many instances phones with even weaker hardware than the Kobos' can be made reasonably smooth with some extreme ROM'ing if there are devs willing to devote their time to optimize custom ROMs.
That's the reason I returned mine.

I first though XDA developers would have some ROMs for it.

I was quite sad when I realised there's only one old beta CyanogenMod available.

Anyway, it's a great deal for many many people.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2012
176 posts
117 upvotes
Markham
vonblock wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 5:59 pm
That's the reason I returned mine.

I first though XDA developers would have some ROMs for it.

I was quite sad when I realised there's only one old beta CyanogenMod available.

Anyway, it's a great deal for many many people.
maybe with this wicked deal we can convince some developers or if better yet if some of us are developers create a good rom :D
Dec 30, 2008
624 posts
211 upvotes
Maybe we could all pitch in some money to entice a developer to make a new custom rom? I could pitch in a 20$
Feb 11, 2013
150 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Got mine as well. Does not seem new but in mint condition. Battery came in around 30%. There was an update after connecting to net. Updated the apps. Youtube running smooth at 1440p (max resolution available).

it is snappy but the touch seems little wonky sometimes.
Jun 14, 2015
84 posts
61 upvotes
Vernon, BC
Anyone have an issue where the screen slowly gets marginally brighter on white screens? It does it fairly slowly and the brightness change isn't much. I turned off auto brightness, but it still happens.
Aug 7, 2005
187 posts
31 upvotes
Ottawa
I am not a Android ROM developer.
Please proceed at your own risk.

I've mocked up a build.prop file that seems to remove the restrictions on the Play store.
Its a combination of the factory ROM and CM12.1.1
Please be careful...I killed my ROM numerous times and needed to re-install the fresh copy of the ROM through TWRP while trying to find the magic build.prop parameter.
There were no hang-ups installing the build.prop into a fresh CM12.1.1 install (or partially stale install).

To install (worked for me, you may not require all the steps):
1. Disable Wifi
2. Clear all data from the Play app (through settings->Apps->google Play Store->Clear Data/Cache)
3. Clear all data from the Play Services App (through settings->Apps->Google Play Services->Manage Space->Clear All Data)
4. Copy the build.prop file to /system (using file manager and root enabled)
5. Change the permissions of the file to 0600 (just in case it got modified)
6. Reboot
7. Enable Wifi
8. Enjoy Play Store compatibility (Chrome, Facebook, etc...)

File:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7Boz ... 0dIUnJ0bjA

Sorry for the repeated warning. Just want to ensure there are no misconceptions.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2012
176 posts
117 upvotes
Markham
cats_on_burners wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 7:11 pm
Maybe we could all pitch in some money to entice a developer to make a new custom rom? I could pitch in a 20$
im down
Dec 30, 2008
624 posts
211 upvotes
salty72 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 9:01 pm

I've mocked up a build.prop file that seems to remove the restrictions on the Play store.
Wow! You're amazing. It work great. I followed the step and had 0 issue.
I will now deploy this build prop to the 5 arc10hd in my family.
Great job!

You should post your fix here to let more people know.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showth ... 86&page=42
I can post it there if you want, but I would rather you to get the credit for it.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
2335 posts
549 upvotes
West
Does anyone know if the red light turns off when the tablet is charged? I have a 7hd.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
2335 posts
549 upvotes
West
WhoCanDeal wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 12:09 am
Got my 7 today and while it looks practically brand new it will not turn on or charge. The only thing that happens is the power button lights up and pulses when charging. too bad really. Hope I can get one that works.
Not 100% but I believe that a pulsing light means it is not getting enough power when charging. I had the arc 7h plugged into a 1Amp charger for 7 hours and the light was pulsing the whole time, tried turning it on but would not turn on. Switched it to a 2.1Amp charger and the light went and stayed solid and I could turn the tablet on right away.
Jun 29, 2012
62 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
cats_on_burners wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 10:01 pm
Wow! You're amazing. It work great. I followed the step and had 0 issue.
I will now deploy this build prop to the 5 arc10hd in my family.
Great job!

You should post your fix here to let more people know.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showth ... 86&page=42
I can post it there if you want, but I would rather you to get the credit for it.
So with this fix to the Google Play Store do you think it is worth flashing CM12.1 onto the tablets? Not sure if there are still too many bugs and issues to justify it.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2011
1374 posts
450 upvotes
Mississauga
FYI: They're all back in stock. They also have the Arc 7 now for $20.
Nov 7, 2013
968 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
hackoder wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 2:41 pm
FYI: They're all back in stock. They also have the Arc 7 now for $20.
Awesome! In for 2 more 10HDs!
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2011
1374 posts
450 upvotes
Mississauga
hssironman wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 3:15 pm
Awesome! In for 2 more 10HDs!
If you're getting two, you can also apply PSAVE15NOW coupon to save 15 USD (18 CAD).
Jun 29, 2012
62 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
hackoder wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 3:55 pm
If you're getting two, you can also apply PSAVE15NOW coupon to save 15 USD (18 CAD).
Good call on the coupon. Thanks! That makes this deal even more amazing. Bought 2 more.