Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2312 posts
1169 upvotes
Richmond
SuperStarDynex wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 2:53 am
Theres also this thing called the sun.
Care to share your technique for setting the sun to rise at your scheduled wake-up time? :)

If you just want to try a light-based wake-up alarm, there are lots of cheap options, either with built-in lights or a timed socket for your own light. Personally I found it does work for me, but not very effectively - if I have it set to increase the light gradually over 30 minutes, the light wakes me in the first minute, presumably because I'm very close to my normal wake time anyway. Maybe some versions have an even more gradual increase that would be more effective.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2644 posts
1376 upvotes
Markham
Horrible title btw Got reeled in for $35 light before Realizing it's $35 cheaper yada yada...
Oct 8, 2013
205 posts
130 upvotes
Dartmouth
I bought this (3520) around this time last year for $110. For the product, it's a good deal. I am not sure if I'd spend the money on it again if given the choice. I believe I bought it in part because I had a gift card I got for christmas that took the edge off.

It's nice. I think you get used to it and over time the light doesn't wake you up as well. That being said, it is a very nice bedside light. The color shifting is very cool to have and sets the mood for settling down for bedtime. The sunset function is cool too, setting it to gradually lower the light and radio over a set period of time. I've only used it for the winter one year, so maybe it may prove more useful this coming winter than it has been over the spring and summer.
Nov 15, 2015
283 posts
371 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Seems like more are in stock now. Hopefully they will remain once I get home
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4869 posts
1989 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I've got one of these. It's great until your body learns to roll over and face the other way
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Jan 28, 2008
238 posts
43 upvotes
Markham
aeba7 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 11:02 am
I've got one of these. It's great until your body learns to roll over and face the other way
This. I even try this when my alarm is going off in hopes that I can just ignore it and go back to sleep.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
3810 posts
505 upvotes
Markham
aeba7 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 11:02 am
I guess ultimately it depends on what you need it for.

I'm looking for a gentler way of waking vs a super annoying alarm on my phone. I think the whole purpose of the machine isn't to solve that you need more sleep but to gradually wake you
Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24" IPS 1920x1200 $150
[OP]
Aug 16, 2015
31 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
evoviii wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 1:52 pm
I guess ultimately it depends on what you need it for.

I'm looking for a gentler way of waking vs a super annoying alarm on my phone. I think the whole purpose of the machine isn't to solve that you need more sleep but to gradually wake you
Agreed!
Jan 17, 2017
15 posts
7 upvotes
Just nabbed one, thanks OP! Been eyeing the cheaper model but willing to go up in price for the larger range of wakeup options. I'm up at 5 every morning and can use whatever help I can get, especially since winter's coming.
Jan 18, 2014
74 posts
44 upvotes
Markham
Was reading up on the benefits of a wake up light when the deal sold out before I could pull the trigger.

It had me looking at other options, and thats when I purchased a wifi lightswitch and have it set up to turn my room light on 5 mins before my alarm goes off. Its been quite helpful so far as the mornings start to get darker.
Also helps that I can turn the light off after I get in bed now :')

Just a suggestion for those interested in a wake up light but would like a more budget option, since I managed to pick the TP-link one up at BB on sale for 25.
Oct 31, 2014
245 posts
116 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I've been using mine for coming up on a year and love it. Yes it's expensive for what is a glorified light connected to an alarm clock. But the gradual transitions were key for me.
I'm a light sleeper and the light timer (and cheaper versions that just have 3-5 light intensities) wake me up just as rudely as an audio alarm, when they first click on.

For me at least I'll wake up earlier in the sequence if I'm facing the alarm, or towards the end if I'm facing away from it, but it wakes me either way before the sounds start. As long as it lasts for a few years I'm considering it money very well spent.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
3810 posts
505 upvotes
Markham
Bohlsxs wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 3:39 pm
Was reading up on the benefits of a wake up light when the deal sold out before I could pull the trigger.

It had me looking at other options, and thats when I purchased a wifi lightswitch and have it set up to turn my room light on 5 mins before my alarm goes off. Its been quite helpful so far as the mornings start to get darker.
Also helps that I can turn the light off after I get in bed now :')

Just a suggestion for those interested in a wake up light but would like a more budget option, since I managed to pick the TP-link one up at BB on sale for 25.

The only problem with that is unless it's on a dimmer and can be gradually turned on. The suddenness of turning on the lights is nearly just as harsh as an alarm depending on your sensitivity to it.
Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24" IPS 1920x1200 $150