• Jan 16th, 2019 2:13 am
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2018 posts
1249 upvotes
St. Catharines
AaronP58886 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 2:55 am
I've never sold anything on eBay, but I'd be interested to start for this promotion. How safe is it being a seller? Is there any risk of not receiving payment, if at all?
The biggest risk is people scamming the buyer friendly policies of eBay.

Make sure you have a tracking number for your shipment, or they will claim they never got it.
Take detailed pictures of the item you are selling, including any identifiable information such as serial numbers, or scammers will claim they got something different.

For the most part it's really safe, but you get a few bad apples.
Jul 21, 2015
185 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MegaSilver wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 7:21 am

Make sure you have a tracking number for your shipment, or they will claim they never got it.
Take detailed pictures of the item you are selling, including any identifiable information such as serial numbers, or scammers will claim they got something different.

Thanks for the tips - any advice for mitigating credit card fraud?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9093 posts
2058 upvotes
Trump University
Ebay is FULL of fraudsters. There needs to be new laws meant for the 21st century and the digital age!

Right now sellers are at the mercy of buyers but there's a lot more. If they do a chargeback not only do you lose your item eg. $1000 laptop, you also lose the money + you get charged a $20 fee.

You're much better off selling in person!
You only live twice ǝɔᴉʍʇ 😎
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2007
4832 posts
1137 upvotes
Toronto
xblackdemonx wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 7:12 am
Too poor to afford a calendar?
:(((((((((((((((((((((((
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
3695 posts
669 upvotes
stephroll wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 3:34 pm
Here’s hoping no one gets a chargeback and all that eBay crap .
Remember eBay always sides with the buyer ...
MegaSilver wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 7:21 am

Corleone187 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 8:00 am
Ebay is FULL of fraudsters. There needs to be new laws meant for the 21st century and the digital age!

Right now sellers are at the mercy of buyers but there's a lot more. If they do a chargeback not only do you lose your item eg. $1000 laptop, you also lose the money + you get charged a $20 fee.

You're much better off selling in person!

I don't understand all the fear mongering
Kijiji has scammers. Craigslist has scammers. Grailed has scammers. RFD has scammers.
There are crappy people everywhere, but they are few and far between. (Saying this as somebody that sells on ebay / other sites regularly)
We've all heard stories about so and so getting screwed by ebay, but they're really not the norm

If anything, what ebay does is require you to take more precautions when selling, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
I sell clothing - i make a point of taking detailed pictures, i post measurements, i post tags, and I give a thorough description. In addition, i always provide a tracking number when shipping and only accept Paypal. I'm covered by BOTH under Seller Protection

I've had one "Significantly Not As Described" return, which was due to an error I made

The advice I will give to anybody who is going to join this promotion: be clear with all the details, and you'll be fine.
Ebay - 195 - 0 - 0
Heatware - 56 - 00 - 0
BST Feedback - 82 - 0 - 0
Grailed - 31 - 0 - 0

I sell clothes for cheap
Jun 22, 2018
23 posts
11 upvotes
Edmonton
The eBay deal is great, however the new CP rates not soo much...

https://esellercafe.com/canada-post-ann ... ases-2019/

When I was at a Postal Outlet yesterday they mentioned other new restrictions
And changes to small business accounts that will publicly be made available on
Jan. 13th...

UGGHHH is all I can say, esp after the FUBAR and SNAFU of their Strike.
Also, just received some Int’l shipments via CP that were from Late Sept and Early to mid October
Images
  • 56A81FFC-5D66-40CF-A1E1-691B25623A77.png
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9093 posts
2058 upvotes
Trump University
goat wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 9:37 am
I don't understand all the fear mongering
Kijiji has scammers. Craigslist has scammers. Grailed has scammers. RFD has scammers.
There are crappy people everywhere, but they are few and far between. (Saying this as somebody that sells on ebay / other sites regularly)
We've all heard stories about so and so getting screwed by ebay, but they're really not the norm

If anything, what ebay does is require you to take more precautions when selling, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
I sell clothing - i make a point of taking detailed pictures, i post measurements, i post tags, and I give a thorough description. In addition, i always provide a tracking number when shipping and only accept Paypal. I'm covered by BOTH under Seller Protection

I've had one "Significantly Not As Described" return, which was due to an error I made

The advice I will give to anybody who is going to join this promotion: be clear with all the details, and you'll be fine.
Except Ebay scammers have infinite powers!

They can do a chargeback 3 months later and you will have foot the bill.

And there is zero protection for digital items so even if you have a tracking # it's meaningless.
livid-paypal-ebay-2221247/

On kijiji or a garage sale you can just take cash

If someone really wanted to exploit you they can do so without repercussions. Say they buy a shirt from you for $10, you send it to them and they say their credit card was unauthorized.
So now you lose the shirt, you lose the $10 + you lose out on $20usd for the chargeback. So you're -$40 in the hole for an item you sold for $10. You're literally better off if someone broke into your house and stole the shirt because you would only be out -$10 instead of -$40. Now multiply that time 100!
You only live twice ǝɔᴉʍʇ 😎
Mar 23, 2006
142 posts
196 upvotes
New Brunswick
stephroll wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 3:34 pm
Here’s hoping no one gets a chargeback and all that eBay crap .
Remember eBay always sides with the buyer ...
Yeah, sold on ebay quite a bit in the past year, then got a chargeback from an ebay account that had been hacked (ebay admitted the account was hacked, however will not help at all). Ended up losing the item, the shipping charge, and to top it off paypal layered on a $20 chargeback fee.
All in, a $103 lesson. Never selling through ebay again!
Apr 13, 2007
962 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
For the items I sell, I usually always ask the buyer to pay for shipping,.

I usually sell to the US but ship out of NIagara Falls NY on the .com website. Obviously, it doesn't normally qualify for the promo but I call in manually to get the FVFs adjusted so it works out in the end.

If I were to list from the .ca website, the US shipping rates for Canada Post will scare away most customers. How do I make the most out of this so that I can list on the .ca website without having scaring away US customers with the absurb international postage rates? Build it into my pricing and offer free shipping?
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
3695 posts
669 upvotes
Corleone187 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 9:53 am
Except Ebay scammers have infinite powers!

They can do a chargeback 3 months later and you will have foot the bill.

And there is zero protection for digital items so even if you have a tracking # it's meaningless.
livid-paypal-ebay-2221247/

On kijiji or a garage sale you can just take cash

If someone really wanted to exploit you they can do so without repercussions. Say they buy a shirt from you for $10, you send it to them and they say their credit card was unauthorized.
So now you lose the shirt, you lose the $10 + you lose out on $20usd for the chargeback. So you're -$40 in the hole for an item you sold for $10. You're literally better off if someone broke into your house and stole the shirt because you would only be out -$10 instead of -$40. Now multiply that time 100!
I can't comment on digital items as I don't sell those

My comment was on the chargeback - yes, they have a long period of time to do the chargeback, but it's not entirely one-sided, especially if you cover your bases.
I sold a suit for $200, and 5 weeks later got a chargeback saying it was unauthorized.
What did I do? I called Paypal and got the chargeback reversed and money put back into my account. Took about 5 minutes. How? Paypal offers seller protection.

I had a guy buy an item off me and tells me it doesn't fit. Asked me for a refund, told him to ship it back and I would refund him.
He opened a claim saying there was a stain on it. I called ebay, pointed out the messages saying it doesn't fit and it's buyers remorse. They closed the case in my favour in about 10 minutes and I moved on with my life.

Stuff happens, yes. People get scammed. There are fraudulent chargebacks.
My point is simple
a) They're not as rampant as you seem to think they are (they're quite rare, in my experience anyway). Claims are actually pretty thoroughly investigated. It's not a perfect system, but it's not like somebody can say "it's broken" and expect to get a refund instantly.
b) Every transaction on any platform has some risk to it. That's inherent

TL;DR - it's not perfect. Cover your bases when you sell. Up to you if you want to take advantage of this deal.
Ebay - 195 - 0 - 0
Heatware - 56 - 00 - 0
Grailed - 31 - 0 - 0

I sell clothes for cheap
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
3695 posts
669 upvotes
forevergone wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:35 am
For the items I sell, I usually always ask the buyer to pay for shipping,.

I usually sell to the US but ship out of NIagara Falls NY on the .com website. Obviously, it doesn't normally qualify for the promo but I call in manually to get the FVFs adjusted so it works out in the end.

If I were to list from the .ca website, the US shipping rates for Canada Post will scare away most customers. How do I make the most out of this so that I can list on the .ca website without having scaring away US customers with the absurb international postage rates? Build it into my pricing and offer free shipping?
Charge the same that you normally would for the US (converted to CAD), assuming you'll be shipping from NF still
Charge Canada at whatever covers your cost
Ebay - 195 - 0 - 0
Heatware - 56 - 00 - 0
Grailed - 31 - 0 - 0

I sell clothes for cheap
Apr 13, 2007
962 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
goat wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 2:25 pm
Charge the same that you normally would for the US (converted to CAD), assuming you'll be shipping from NF still
Charge Canada at whatever covers your cost
But it's dynamic. Lets say a 16x16x12 parcel thats 30lbs will cost $70 to ship to California vs. $30 to ship within New York.
Sep 5, 2015
69 posts
94 upvotes
Calgary, AB
What do you see in the seller dashboard?
I see the following:
What does that mean? Do I need to pay regular 10% or nothing to eBay?

Capture6.JPG
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
5963 posts
1759 upvotes
Toronto
AaronP58886 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 2:55 am
I've never sold anything on eBay, but I'd be interested to start for this promotion. How safe is it being a seller? Is there any risk of not receiving payment, if at all?
You can set it so immediate payment is required through PayPal, no bidding or waiting for payment. It's more like Amazon and less like an auction site now, so quite safe. Google or YouTube some beginner tutorials if you're unsure, you can even download the app and start selling that way.
Dec 20, 2010
235 posts
116 upvotes
ashwani2k wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 3:36 pm
What do you see in the seller dashboard?
I see the following:
What does that mean? Do I need to pay regular 10% or nothing to eBay?

Capture6.JPG
That means its free to list up to 50 items (and all casual sellers can deal with this 50 per month limit, beyond that it does cost you to actually list it, even if it doesn't sell). You'll still pay the regular Final Value fees on shipping cost and item cost, plus the PayPal fee. When this specific promotion is active you'll the this promotion listed in that section though if you have activated it on your account.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

bbcspaceman