• Nov 29th, 2011 9:46 pm
[OP]
Jul 26, 2008
629 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto

eBay + Chargeback/Return Shipping

Hello everyone,

I apologized if this has been asked many times (I failed at searching), but I have a little dilemma I would like to share with you all. I would like to hear your opinions/suggestions on how to resolve this matter.

I recently purchased a Macbook battery from an eBay seller. He/she stated in his product description as quoted below:

[QUOTE]A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details.[/QUOTE]

I received the item today in a brown box sealed with shipping stickers on the openings (the box itself was undamaged).

I open the seals and open the box, and I can see clearly through the anti-static bag (clear bag) that there is a dent on the corner of the battery.

With that being said I can't use this battery at all, because it doesn't fit and I didn't purchase a paperweight.

Question:
I would like to request a full-refund from the seller, but also have them pay for return shipping. I don't see how it is my responsibility to pay for another $10 for shipping because of someone's mistake.

My friend mention to me I should do a charge-back, and if the seller wish to have the item return that they would need to pay for shipping.

I am not sure if this is how it works with eBay and Paypal. I really just want a full-refund and not have to pay for return-shipping.

Any ideas or suggestions on how I should approach this matter to the seller?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3085 posts
249 upvotes
Vancouver
if it is FOB shipping term, u charge the carrier for damage not seller...
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1097 upvotes
Have you attempted to ask the seller for a return? That would be your very first step.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
[OP]
Jul 26, 2008
629 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
ccyk wrote:
Nov 29th, 2011 8:00 pm
if it is FOB shipping term, u charge the carrier for damage not seller...
Yeah, the package itself was undamaged. Can't blame Canada Post this time! :razz:

Ojam wrote:
Nov 29th, 2011 8:14 pm
Have you attempted to ask the seller for a return? That would be your very first step.
I've just e-mailed the seller requesting a full-refund including paid shipping.

Just wanted to see if anyone offer some suggestions or share their experience on this matter.

Thanks for everyone input I will keep you guys posted with updates.
Oct 24, 2007
526 posts
240 upvotes
I had to send back a toner that printed just line streaks. I put in a dispute for the full amount back and they emailed me a prepaid return label.