Ebay fake product

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 1:25 pm
Tags:
May 28, 2017
204 posts
65 upvotes

Ebay fake product

I bought a micro sd card (samsung) on ebay. It arrived and the packaging looked very authentic. But low and behold it is full of errors and does not format correctly. It arrived from Quebec in a regular envelop with no tracking. I checked this guys feed back and there is a lot of positives for this item but then i checked again and their are negatives for this item saying it is fake. I checked it with FAKEFLASHTEST.exe and it failed.

So, should i just wait for 6 weeks then claim i didn't receive and get a refund or open a dispute for a fake product? The problem i see i will have to pay for return shipping so i will lose $10 to this weasel. Better be a smarter weasel eh?
10 replies
May 27, 2012
393 posts
205 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
not to sound like a old person always saying same thing but why did u buy flash memory from ebay?
seems like u know the effects of both option a and option b. go ahead and make ur own decision confidently.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
COMCRUISE wrote: I bought a micro sd card (samsung) on ebay. It arrived and the packaging looked very authentic. But low and behold it is full of errors and does not format correctly. It arrived from Quebec in a regular envelop with no tracking. I checked this guys feed back and there is a lot of positives for this item but then i checked again and their are negatives for this item saying it is fake. I checked it with FAKEFLASHTEST.exe and it failed.

So, should i just wait for 6 weeks then claim i didn't receive and get a refund or open a dispute for a fake product? The problem i see i will have to pay for return shipping so i will lose $10 to this weasel. Better be a smarter weasel eh?
Forgive me if I'm not understanding correctly but you're considering putting in a refund for a fraudulent product by committing fraud and claiming you never received it? I'd just claim its a fake product and go from there.
May 28, 2017
204 posts
65 upvotes
wirebound wrote: Forgive me if I'm not understanding correctly but you're considering putting in a refund for a fraudulent product by committing fraud and claiming you never received it? I'd just claim its a fake product and go from there.
Well why do you think he would send an item with no tracking? Because it is worthless. The problem is that i will probably be expected to pay for return shipping with tracking.
Jun 5, 2016
608 posts
804 upvotes
COMCRUISE wrote: Well why do you think he would send an item with no tracking? Because it is worthless. The problem is that i will probably be expected to pay for return shipping with tracking.
If the seller has a bunch of good feedback it's likely he was duped by his distributor and doesn't know the product is fake - or only learned after he had started sending them out and getting bad reviews back.

Shipping with tracking would cost him about the same as it costs you so it would make the item unaffordable to buy and unprofitable to sell.

I sell quite a bit on eBay and if I can save me (and the customer) money by shipping without tracking I will usually do it. If people start claiming they aren't receiving my items I'll stop doing this and the price of these listings will go up $8-10.

I would much rather be told the truth (that my product was fake) so I could figure out what's gone wrong and not send out any other defective products.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1854 posts
1106 upvotes
If you received defective item, item not as described, or counterfeit item, seller is responsible for return shipping cost. While it might be easier for you to just say item not received, but if the seller has high rating, he's probably not a scammer, I think it's a better idea to be honest and see what the seller says.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7847 posts
9210 upvotes
Vancouver
Did you pay for a trackable shipping method? I wonder if your claim could be denied if you claim non-delivery.

The seller probably knows they are selling fake cards. How do you NOT realize that when you are undercutting Newegg and still make a profit on top of eBay fees? They're mixing in real cards (early reviews) and fake cards (later) to get good reviews.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
It doesn't sound as if the OP has even contacted the seller.
That has to be the very first thing to do to see what he/she says.

As to "undercutting" Newegg - I never found Newegg to have low prices unless they want to get rid of something.
And I would go with an earlier comment that the seller probably didn't know the TF card was a fake considering it was sealed.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1757 posts
1143 upvotes
Vancouver
Just open a paypal dispute case and indicate that the "Item is not as described". Tell them that the Seller is selling counterfeit items. You will get your money back and you shouldn't need to pay for shipping.
I'll Keep It Short and Sweet. Family, Religion, Friendship ... These Are the Three Demons You Must Slay if You Wish to Succeed in Business
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7847 posts
9210 upvotes
Vancouver
krs wrote: As to "undercutting" Newegg - I never found Newegg to have low prices unless they want to get rid of something.
And I would go with an earlier comment that the seller probably didn't know the TF card was a fake considering it was sealed.
That's the point. Computer components are already low margin (5-10%). If a high volume, low margin dealer like Newegg can't sell a microSD card cheaply, how exactly is a seller who has to pay eBay 10% fee supposed to compete legitimately? The seller ought to have known. There are plenty of places to order fake cards with sealed packaging by the boatload.
May 28, 2017
204 posts
65 upvotes
Looks like the seller has been banned. LOL i guess i will get my money back.