None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6470 posts
2345 upvotes
Canada

EBay: Foreign Buyer - Buy It Now

Had a foreign buyer purchase something using BIN, even though I had No International Shipping selected and only posted a rate within Canada. I decided to see how much it would cost to Europe, about $48 with tracking number, around $20 without. Buyer wants me to send it using the no tracking number, but I am not comfortable doing that (he has 4+ negative feedbacks). Plus going to Europe with no tracking seems like a recipe for fraud.

Why does ebay allow these people to buy like that? What kind of stupid system allows the seller to select No International Shipping and then allow users from Germany to Buy It Now?

He has not paid, as I have not sent an invoice. I would like to just cancel the transaction, but I do not want to pay fees ... do I just send him an invoice with the more expensive shipping .. either he pays or it cancels?

I do not see why I should be obligated to send something without tracking.
9 replies
Jan 9, 2010
43 posts
10 upvotes
Kanata
raspeed wrote:
May 5th, 2015 1:12 pm
Had a foreign buyer purchase something using BIN, even though I had No International Shipping selected and only posted a rate within Canada. I decided to see how much it would cost to Europe, about $48 with tracking number, around $20 without. Buyer wants me to send it using the no tracking number, but I am not comfortable doing that (he has 4+ negative feedbacks). Plus going to Europe with no tracking seems like a recipe for fraud.

Why does ebay allow these people to buy like that? What kind of stupid system allows the seller to select No International Shipping and then allow users from Germany to Buy It Now?

He has not paid, as I have not sent an invoice. I would like to just cancel the transaction, but I do not want to pay fees ... do I just send him an invoice with the more expensive shipping .. either he pays or it cancels?

I do not see why I should be obligated to send something without tracking.
There is an option to select "No International Shipping" when you create a listing. Did you select that? If you had, I don't believe it would have allowed him to purchase it, if he used a account located in Europe.

It may be a scam. The buyer may be asking you to ship it to them with the full intention of filing a claim that he didn't receive it.

I suggest that if you selected the "No International Shipping" option, you contact Ebay and get them to cancel the transaction and refund your listing fees.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1502 posts
121 upvotes
Downtown
that's strange normally when I click on items that don't have international shipping i can't buy it, it'll have "does not ship to your country"
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3396 posts
617 upvotes
Inform the buyer that your listing did not include international shipping, then cancel the sale and request a fee credit from eBay.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4015 posts
637 upvotes
Richmond
he may have used an Canadian address to buy
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
2978 posts
681 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
Definitely DO NOT SHIP WITHOUT TRACKING! As well, cancel the transaction by informing buyer that you do not ship international and also check your future listings to see if you have blocked international bidders and their countries.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5977 posts
143 upvotes
weird as well, im pretty sure there's a setting that wont allow international buyer to buy it.

CorSter wrote:
May 5th, 2015 1:35 pm
Inform the buyer that your listing did not include international shipping, then cancel the sale and request a fee credit from eBay.
+1
cancel it as your ad only has shipping to within Canada
images are not permitted in sigs
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1229 posts
593 upvotes
Ottawa ON
If he's requesting a non registered package, then it is 100% a scammer - do not even doubt or question this. Cancel it immediately.

Source - I helped run an Ebay tech store (20k+) years ago. We used to deal worldwide, but ultimately went with Canada/US/Australia/UK/Germany because of the ridiculous amount of scammers in other countries coupled with corrupt post office employees - I suggest you do the same. The countries I have listed have a well developed and reliable postal service system that is well monitored and the potential scammers were almost non existent in the countries I mentioned. We've had a great experience with Germans as customers and rarely had trouble as their post office was always very helpful and precise.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21662 posts
7559 upvotes
May as well just mail the item to him and give him a refund now if you send it without tracking.
It'd be easier on your part.
MontrealBonjour wrote:
May 6th, 2015 11:18 am
Germans as customers and rarely had trouble as their post office was always very helpful and precise.
That basically describes their entire country.