• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2019 1:03 pm
[OP]
Feb 10, 2015
26 posts
15 upvotes
Nepean, ON

eBay needs to penalize these horrible sellers

So I decided to by a refurbished phone off eBay. Somewhat of a good deal, not great.

I promptly pay. The seller almost immediately gives me a tracking number with ups, but then marks the purchase as "shipped"?!?! Okay...it only reads "label created" on the tracking, whatever, as long as he eventually ships it to the address provided.

I live alone and wasn't going to be home during the day, I also had problems before with UPS going to the wrong address. So I contact UPS, tell them to hold it at a ups location. I'll sign for it there. They said no problem.

Next day, the seller still hasn't ship....then I get an email asking "Why I changed the address?" I told him I didn't, explained the above mention. He then refuses to ship the item because of this, he believes he'll lose seller protection...okay buddy. I again try to explain to him, hes shipping to my home address, I won't be home to sign for it, so it'll probably go to that location anyways. I realized I was dealing with an imbecile, but I kept the correspondence professional.

He then just stops responding, no refund, nothing. My last email I warned him I would contact eBay. I even offered to cancel the UPS request. Still nothing. Like what does he/she expect to happen? Keep the phone and money?

The eBay CSR said they will first try to reach out to him/her, otherwise they'll just do a straight refund.
Last edited by Penguin57 on Feb 5th, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
32 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1499 posts
649 upvotes
London
ebay will refund u. but nothing will happen to the seller. i once had a seller provide a tracking number that showed a package delivered to my city but when ud call the post office and give them the tracking number they pulled up the details of the shipping label and the name address and postal code are totally dif. so the seller provided a fake tracking number to try to scam the money. he almost got away with it but i escalated to a manger who reopen the case and called Canada post to confirm that the package was delivered to someone else. i asked the manger to report the seller to ebay trust and safety they said they did and that action would be taken on the sellers account. but to this day the seller is still selling on ebay. hes gotten more feedback since i bought off him from buyers saying he tried to scam them to but ebay don't care.
[OP]
Feb 10, 2015
26 posts
15 upvotes
Nepean, ON
aaron158 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 8:59 pm
ebay will refund u. but nothing will happen to the seller. i once had a seller provide a tracking number that showed a package delivered to my city but when ud call the post office and give them the tracking number they pulled up the details of the shipping label and the name address and postal code are totally dif. so the seller provided a fake tracking number to try to scam the money. he almost got away with it but i escalated to a manger who reopen the case and called Canada post to confirm that the package was delivered to someone else. i asked the manger to report the seller to ebay trust and safety they said they did and that action would be taken on the sellers account. but to this day the seller is still selling on ebay. hes gotten more feedback since i bought off him from buyers saying he tried to scam them to but ebay don't care.
I think they should penalize by still charging this person for the sale at least. Its a win win for eBay, the bad seller gets punished, and they still make the commission.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
1676 posts
663 upvotes
ON
Yeah I won't use ebay anymore. All sorts of shady stuff going on there.
[OP]
Feb 10, 2015
26 posts
15 upvotes
Nepean, ON
thetipster wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 9:14 pm
Yeah I won't use ebay anymore. All sorts of shady stuff going on there.
I don't believe this person is trying to scam me, since its so obvious the error is on the seller side. The person is just incredibly incompetent. But yes, there is other stuff like fake tracking numbers and shill bidding that you need to beware of.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1002 posts
635 upvotes
Vancouver
Penguin57 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 9:29 pm
I don't believe this person is trying to scam me, since its so obvious the error is on the seller side. The person is just incredibly incompetent. But yes, there is other stuff like fake tracking numbers and shill bidding that you need to beware of.
You can file a Buyer Protection Case with eBay. eBay will then notify the seller there is an ongoing case and if they fail to either resolve you directly before the deadline (usually 5 days) or at least acknowledge/respond to you, then eBay will refund you in full if they believe you are in the right and eBay will mark a defect on their seller account.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42410 posts
3089 upvotes
Richmond Hill
As a eBay seller, I can understand the seller's worry.

First, your comment about the item being marked as shipped, but that the tracking does not work yet, is invalid. When you create the shipping label, eBay automatically marks the status as shipped. There is no "label created, waiting for carrier to pick up" status on eBay.

Additionally, Paypal seller protection is based on the confirmed address on your Paypal account. I don't know what kind of request you made to UPS, but if there is a change of address, then the seller won't receive seller protection. This is Paypal's policy, not a fault of the seller. That being said, as a seller, I always ship to the confirmed address only.

The part where he stops responding does sound unprofessional, but OP you should understand how it's like selling on eBay before being judgmental.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
[OP]
Feb 10, 2015
26 posts
15 upvotes
Nepean, ON
Jon Lai wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 11:17 pm
As a eBay seller, I can understand the seller's worry.

First, your comment about the item being marked as shipped, but that the tracking does not work yet, is invalid. When you create the shipping label, eBay automatically marks the status as shipped. There is no "label created, waiting for carrier to pick up" status on eBay.

Additionally, Paypal seller protection is based on the confirmed address on your Paypal account. I don't know what kind of request you made to UPS, but if there is a change of address, then the seller won't receive seller protection. This is Paypal's policy, not a fault of the seller. That being said, as a seller, I always ship to the confirmed address only.

The part where he stops responding does sound unprofessional, but OP you should understand how it's like selling on eBay before being judgmental.
I've sold on eBay several times. I would never add the tracking number until after I have handed the item to the courier! Its really that simple, marking it as shipped while still holding the package is a blatant lie. I don't know how you can defend that.

The shipping label has my confirmed address on it. The eBay CSR agreed with me that its perfectly normal to pick it at a UPS location, I would've have missed delivery and picked it up there anyway. There should be no problem. I've could have waited for the person to ship then make the request. You can't possibly defend his/her ignorance.

Furthermore, at a location I need to bring ID, and sign for it. So this is actually more secure. Rather than the delivery person maybe going to the wrong address and having someone sign for it there.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17168 posts
23688 upvotes
ONTARIO
Penguin57 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 11:37 pm
I've sold on eBay several times. I would never add the tracking number until after I have handed the item to the courier! Its really that simple, marking it as shipped while still holding the package is a blatant lie. I don't know how you can defend that.

Yeah I hate that. Most ebay sellers seem to mark it as shipped almost immediately.
I ordered a couple items on January 28th and immediately got USPS tracking numbers. According to the USPS website, they didn't even take possession of my items until February 5th.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42410 posts
3089 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Penguin57 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 11:37 pm

The shipping label has my confirmed address on it. The eBay CSR agreed with me that its perfectly normal to pick it at a UPS location, I would've have missed delivery and picked it up there anyway. There should be no problem. I've could have waited for the person to ship then make the request. You can't possibly defend his/her ignorance.

Furthermore, at a location I need to bring ID, and sign for it. So this is actually more secure. Rather than the delivery person maybe going to the wrong address and having someone sign for it there.
Creating a label via services such as Shippo will automatically mark the item as shipped. Even when you buy something from Amazon, when it notifies your order has shipped, it hasn't actually arrived at or been picked up by the courier yet. Selling on eBay "several" times means you probably went to the post office physically to mail those parcels and have not used automatic tools for creating shipping labels.

I agree it should be fine to pick up your package at a UPS location, however that should be an agreement between you and UPS. The fact that the seller has known about an address change, and has messaged you about it, implies to me that you had requested an address change, or UPS had changed the address on their end. This should NOT be the case. Perhaps the UPS agent had done something manual for you, which triggered an address change at the seller. Instead, you should simply pick the option on the website when you track the item.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
[OP]
Feb 10, 2015
26 posts
15 upvotes
Nepean, ON
BobSagget wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 11:43 pm
Yeah I hate that. Most ebay sellers seem to mark it as shipped almost immediately.
I ordered a couple items on January 28th and immediately got USPS tracking numbers. According to the USPS website, they didn't even take possession of my items until February 5th.
Agreed. I know there is a feature with eBay to create shipping labels, that might add the tracking automatically, I'm not sure.

I have a CP business account and a UPS account that I would use to create labels. Then add the tracking manually after shipping, its way better transparency with the buyer.
[OP]
Feb 10, 2015
26 posts
15 upvotes
Nepean, ON
Jon Lai wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 11:48 pm
Creating a label via services such as Shippo will automatically mark the item as shipped. Even when you buy something from Amazon, when it notifies your order has shipped, it hasn't actually arrived at or been picked up by the courier yet. Selling on eBay "several" times means you probably went to the post office physically to mail those parcels and have not used automatic tools for creating shipping labels.

I agree it should be fine to pick up your package at a UPS location, however that should be an agreement between you and UPS. The fact that the seller has known about an address change, and has messaged you about it, implies to me that you had requested an address change, or UPS had changed the address on their end. This should NOT be the case. Perhaps the UPS agent had done something manual for you, which triggered an address change at the seller. Instead, you should simply pick the option on the website when you track the item.
I really don't care what Amazon does, this is a discussion about eBay and a seller on there. I didn't use the shippo stuff, but if it was designed with any amount of competence, it would give you the option of when to add the tracking number. Otherwise you're using a poorly designed product.

And as I said the shipping label still has my home address on it. UPS is just redirecting it, he could easily find this out by just looking up the tracking number on the UPS website (which I think is the case). It has a note to hold at a the UPS location...

And I'm done responding to your straw-man statements

Edit: And I just checked with UPS, this person did not select "Direct Delivery" which is what allowed me to do a hold at a ups location. If he/she was so worried about selling on eBay, they should really learn the options available.
Last edited by Penguin57 on Feb 6th, 2019 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1499 posts
649 upvotes
London
Penguin57 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 11:52 pm
Agreed. I know there is a feature with eBay to create shipping labels, that might add the tracking automatically, I'm not sure.

I have a CP business account and a UPS account that I would use to create labels. Then add the tracking manually after shipping, its way better transparency with the buyer.
when u print ur shipping label online via either ebay or paypal the tracking number is attached as soon as the label is made the sell has no choice. most people print the label online to get the shipping discount vs going to the post office to ship it and paying the retail cost.
[OP]
Feb 10, 2015
26 posts
15 upvotes
Nepean, ON
aaron158 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 12:09 am
when u print ur shipping label online via either ebay or paypal the tracking number is attached as soon as the label is made the sell has no choice. most people print the label online to get the shipping discount vs going to the post office to ship it and paying the retail cost.
Yes, I printed my label online with a discount. Although I didn't do it through eBay or Paypal.
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13374 posts
3659 upvotes
London
Penguin57 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 12:04 am
I really don't care what Amazon does, this is a discussion about eBay and a seller on there. I didn't use the shippo stuff, but if it was designed with any amount of competence, it would give you the option of when to add the tracking number. Otherwise you're using a poorly designed product.

And as I said the shipping label still has my home address on it. UPS is just redirecting it, he could easily find this out by just looking up the tracking number on the UPS website (which I think is the case). It has a note to hold at a the UPS location...

And I'm done responding to your straw-man statements

Edit: And I just checked with UPS, this person did not select "Direct Delivery" which is what allowed me to do a hold at a ups location. If he/she was so worried about selling on eBay, they should really learn the options available.
Why are you getting so defensive over people explaining to you why it happens?

It's not like sellers are being malicious by having it marked shipped right away. That is the tools ebay uses. If you sell something on ebay, and chose to create a shipping label, it will take you to shippo by default. You have to actively avoid using the integrated tools to do anything else.