Shopping Discussion

Ebay: Is it safe to give an IMEI for a seller to unlock?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2016 10:01 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
2245 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto

Ebay: Is it safe to give an IMEI for a seller to unlock?

Is this the way to do it? I purchased an unlock code online through ebay. They sent me this.
http://i.imgur.com/vSkGFDO.jpg
15 replies
Feb 9, 2011
883 posts
131 upvotes
Montr
well theres no other way if they dont have the phone in their hands
Feb 9, 2011
883 posts
131 upvotes
Montr
now would i give it out awnser is No i would go to a kiosk who does it.
Jan 11, 2014
212 posts
47 upvotes
yogakun wrote: Is this the way to do it? I purchased an unlock code online through ebay. They sent me this.
http://i.imgur.com/vSkGFDO.jpg
Yes, that's the way to do it. Without IMEI number, it is not possible for seller to find your unlock code.
Banned
Apr 11, 2012
870 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldnt be worried at all

Its like not showing your face in front of any camera otherwise they might photoshop you
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
yes, that's how I get my unlocks done on ebay.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
tutchio wrote: now would i give it out awnser is No i would go to a kiosk who does it.
What?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
No, it's not "safe", but there's no other way for a third party to do it. Use larger, more reputable unlockers instead of saving $5 and using someone with lower feedback and you should be fine. You can also call your cell phone provider to inquire how much for them to unlock it (usually $50) if you're still apprehensive.

Kiosks/stores are the same issue. The staff still need to get your IMEI to unlock it.
Banned
Nov 21, 2009
2465 posts
1043 upvotes
This is clearly a function within eBay for cell phone unlocker sellers..... I would say it's pretty safe
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6633 posts
1249 upvotes
Toronto
^ I think ebay doesn't cover cell phone unlocking scams. But there are lot of reputable people selling - just check feedback
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters ... until its solved.
Stay in the know - subscribe.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1695 posts
467 upvotes
Just curious, what can someone do with your IMEI?

What's the possible consequences?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
redflagged2006 wrote: Just curious, what can someone do with your IMEI?

What's the possible consequences?
For starters, it's very easy to blacklist a IMEI even if you are not the owner. I can take an IMEI and block it. No provider checks whether you really own the "said" phone or not. Also, IMEI cloning comes to mind.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1695 posts
467 upvotes
EPcjay wrote: For starters, it's very easy to blacklist a IMEI even if you are not the owner. I can take an IMEI and block it. No provider checks whether you really own the "said" phone or not. Also, IMEI cloning comes to mind.
Would un-blacklisting be easy?

By cloning the IMEI, it doesn't have any harm other than duplicating the number right?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
redflagged2006 wrote: Would un-blacklisting be easy?

By cloning the IMEI, it doesn't have any harm other than duplicating the number right?
There was a poster here who went though hell to get his phone out of the blocked list.

There's others who brought phones off kijiji will full receipts obtained but were unsuccessfully.

In other words, be prepared for a tough fight
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1695 posts
467 upvotes
EPcjay wrote: There was a poster here who went though hell to get his phone out of the blocked list.

There's others who brought phones off kijiji will full receipts obtained but were unsuccessfully.

In other words, be prepared for a tough fight
I see.. a bit late for me as I got unlock via eBay. If it does happen will it affect my current service or only affects when moving to another provider?

Thanks for the info.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
jm1 wrote: You can also call your cell phone provider to inquire how much for them to unlock it (usually $50) if you're still apprehensive.
In preparation of a recent trip overseas, I could have saved some money by going with a third party but decided to have my phone unlocked by the provider so that way I was 100% sure it would work and stay unlocked, with zero fuss.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.