Shopping Discussion

Ebay seller not responding. Won't give shipping estimate.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2011 4:14 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 4, 2011
79 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto

Ebay seller not responding. Won't give shipping estimate.

So I won an auction, but the shipping price was not listed (it said to contact seller). The seller hasn't replied back in 2 days. Is there any way to obtain the paypal email address of the seller or some other way to contact them besides the ebay messaging service?

Anyone have a similar situation?
31 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9661 posts
1866 upvotes
Toronto
Joke wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 4:04 pm
So I won an auction, but the shipping price was not listed (it said to contact seller). The seller hasn't replied back in 2 days. Is there any way to obtain the paypal email address of the seller or some other way to contact them besides the ebay messaging service?

Dude, why in the world would you bid on something not knowing the shipping cost in the first place?!?!.. you're just asking for trouble dude.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1758 posts
258 upvotes
I hope for your sake you don't end up getting an unreasonable shipping rate from this seller. You should have checked his rates before winning the auction because he can pretty much charge you anything he wants at this point.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2011
79 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
I thought I was pretty safe since the seller's located in T.O and its a pretty light item. Also, the item was won at a price "well" below retail value. I was cautious since there was less than 10 feedback but I saw all these people bidding and the price was too good the pass up. Anyways, I have the seller's name and address from the ebay confirmation email and the seller most likely has all my info and address. I was thinking if there is no response within like 5 days I would leave negative feedback but then I thought that the seller could retaliate since my address,name,email are in his possession, so I don't know what to do.
Dec 20, 2010
288 posts
66 upvotes
Joke wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 4:20 pm
I thought I was pretty safe since the seller's located in T.O and its a pretty light item. Also, the item was won at a price "well" below retail value. I was cautious since there was less than 10 feedback but I saw all these people bidding and the price was too good the pass up. Anyways, I have the seller's name and address from the ebay confirmation email and the seller most likely has all my info and address. I was thinking if there is no response within like 5 days I would leave negative feedback but then I thought that the seller could retaliate since my address,name,email are in his possession, so I don't know what to do.
Expect to get raked over the coals for shipping. :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9661 posts
1866 upvotes
Toronto
Joke wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 4:20 pm

Dude, you're bound to get scammed on ebay.. you committed one of the cardinal sins on ebay and there were warning signs all over. How were you "cautious" btw? :facepalm:

You better hope to get a honest ebayer or don't pay if they shipping price is too high and negotiate to not leave each other negative feedbacks... good luck
[OP]
Jan 4, 2011
79 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
It was an auction though, so the price was determined by those who participated. I'm sure the seller wanted a better sale price, but in the end I managed to snag it. I would not have bought it if it was a buy it now price since that would be obvious.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9661 posts
1866 upvotes
Toronto
Joke wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 5:00 pm
It was an auction though, so the price was determined by those who participated. I'm sure the seller wanted a better sale price, but in the end I managed to snag it. I would not have bought it if it was a buy it now price since that would be obvious.

Dude, you sound like a real ebay newbie.. you should really do some research before you mess around with ebay ... Ebay is full of scammers dude.

Alot of people sell things at a dirt cheap price and they make you THINK that you're getting a deal until you see the shipping price. ie. I can auction something that retails for $100 at $1 BUT I can charge someone $100 for "shipping and HANDLING". AND if you bought something and you didn't like it, guess what??.. shipping is non refundable.. but you get ur $1. back. LOL
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
1995 posts
515 upvotes
OK I'm not from Toronto, but I don't think it is *THAT* big that you have to SHIP stuff from one person to another... why don't you just ask if you can pick it up yourself? Or get a courier?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4265 posts
477 upvotes
Barrys Bay
Joke wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 4:04 pm

I have on all my auctions, i have 3 business days after action to get in contact with purchaser to discuss shipping rates if not listed. After that i have another clause on not shipping till payment clears and hold for 3 days....

Your 2 days in, i wouldn't worry as you haven't paid yet.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9837 posts
1278 upvotes
Toronto
I don't even know why people use eBay anymore, worst auction site... Havent used it in years. Just go on Kijiji find what you want and offer 1/4 of the asking price since that's what everyone does to me.

Seriously though don't offer 1/4 if it's a good deal offer to pay the asking price and you'll get a quick reply most likely
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
38 upvotes
toronto
XtremeModder wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 8:40 pm
I don't even know why people use eBay anymore, worst auction site... Havent used it in years. Just go on Kijiji find what you want and offer 1/4 of the asking price since that's what everyone does to me.

Seriously though don't offer 1/4 if it's a good deal offer to pay the asking price and you'll get a quick reply most likely

Just like RFD, the amount of deadbeats in Kijiji is astounding.

I've made some good money on Kijiji...but right now I'm implementing rules if someone wants my stuff i.e. contact me if they can get to my meet up location in 1hr. This deters deadbeats and time wasters for the most part assuming you've put every info there is.
Dude, why in the world would you bid on something not knowing the shipping cost in the first place?!?!.. you're just asking for trouble dude.
x2
You better hope to get a honest ebayer or don't pay if they shipping price is too high and negotiate to not leave each other negative feedbacks... good luck
worse thing that could happen to OP is get a non-paying bidder warning and that's it. It's a slap on the wrist since EBAY took out the right of sellers to leave ANY feedback with buyers BUT positive. It sucks balls. I wish I could still leave a feedback to buyers because some deserve a negative fb.

BTW, if EBAY were to go back to what they were 5 years ago, I would be happy and so are others. My only beef with them right now is their high listing fees/after auction fees and sellers not being able to leave feedbacks for buyers.

I don't hate EBAY and as a matter of fact there's more likely I'd sell an item over there because: 1. I'm at home taking pictures and listing my stuff - I don't have to spend gas and meet with cheap bastards who try to low ball upon meetup 2. I'm earning money while I go about my business.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5872 posts
35 upvotes
i once bought something with no shipping information..

it was a US deal only on ebay, i asked the seller about changing settings to allow me to bid as i have an amerifriend i can use if i win. i won, he said he can just ship to canada (cause he's a nice guy).. luckily he didn't jack up the price. he actually rounded down to the nearest 5$ for shipping. there was a lot of communication and he has 100% feedback so i thought it was okay to do.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9837 posts
1278 upvotes
Toronto
People on eBay like that are 1 in a million
goJays wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 9:47 pm
i once bought snNomething with no shipping information..

it was a US deal only on ebay, i asked the seller about changing settings to allow me to bid as i have an amerifriend i can use if i win. i won, he said he can just ship to canada (cause he's a nice guy).. luckily he didn't jack up the price. he actually rounded down to the nearest 5$ for shipping. there was a lot of communication and he has 100% feedback so i thought it was okay to do.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2011
79 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
thanks for the responses. I haven't payed yet so I haven't lost anything. There's a first time for everything, I guess I got myself into a slimy ol' scam, that is, if there is no response by tomorrow. (Maybe the seller went camping lol)