Shopping Discussion

Ebay seller not responding. Won't give shipping estimate.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2011 4:14 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
38 upvotes
toronto
Joke wrote:
Feb 17th, 2011 12:46 am
I got myself into a slimy ol' scam, that is, if there is no response by tomorrow. (

So being scammed means not getting a shipping quote from a seller?

You said it yourself: you haven't PAID yet.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2011
79 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
DLFB wrote:
Feb 17th, 2011 12:56 am
So being scammed means not getting a shipping quote from a seller?

You said it yourself: you haven't PAID yet.

look, its 1am and i was just practicing my alliteration methods and maybe, just maybe it didn't make sense in the end. Why don't you sue me for crying out loud?

this was meant to be a funny response, please don't take it seriously. Shirley you must find it funny, but if you don't please respond back, but don't call me Shirley.[/lame tries at comedic methods]
Feb 5, 2007
824 posts
90 upvotes
goJays wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 9:47 pm
i once bought something with no shipping information..

it was a US deal only on ebay, i asked the seller about changing settings to allow me to bid as i have an amerifriend i can use if i win. i won, he said he can just ship to canada (cause he's a nice guy).. luckily he didn't jack up the price. he actually rounded down to the nearest 5$ for shipping. there was a lot of communication and he has 100% feedback so i thought it was okay to do.

Usually there's no issue IF you hold the sellers hand, shipping wise...Tell them what form of shipping to use, eg. US Postal Service "First Class Mail International" and send them the appropriate USPS link to the rate chart(which also shows package size limits in size and weight).
Also inform them about what to write on the customs slip(don't go the gift route) and to NOT include a reciept in the box (if applicable)......... No confusion, no surprises......you get it shipped your way and do their work for them..
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5872 posts
35 upvotes
good advice. i was shipped a 'gift' but had my ebay receipt inside. got charged taxes and duties :)
Feb 5, 2007
824 posts
90 upvotes
Joke wrote:
Feb 17th, 2011 12:46 am
thanks for the responses. I haven't payed yet so I haven't lost anything. There's a first time for everything, I guess I got myself into a slimy ol' scam, that is, if there is no response by tomorrow. (Maybe the seller went camping lol)

What's the Ebay item # ?? If it looks like the deal is goin' bad, I'd walk away from the deal and take the warning strike from Ebay.(assuming your account is OK)
Send NO money unless you're happy with the likely high shipping cost.

Don't allow yourself to be bullied into a shipping ripoff.

Please list the Ebay item # so we can get(and give you ) a clearer picture
Feb 5, 2007
824 posts
90 upvotes
4flava wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 4:34 pm
You better hope to get a honest ebayer or don't pay if they shipping price is too high and negotiate to not leave each other negative feedbacks... good luck

Haven't been on Ebay for a while? :razz: Buyers can neg sellers, sellers CANNOT neg. buyers....this change in policy caused a seller sh*tstorm when it was adopted in 2008(?)
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
2889 posts
547 upvotes
sorry, ebay noobs written all over it...

i usually check shipping, if it's ridiculous, move along... if not listed, contact them... no responds, move along. sometimes, I email them anyway even if they list shipping just to make sure there's a responds.

hope you're lucky and they're just busy...
Feb 5, 2007
824 posts
90 upvotes
Joke wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 4:04 pm
So I won an auction, but the shipping price was not listed (it said to contact seller). The seller hasn't replied back in 2 days. Is there any way to obtain the paypal email address of the seller or some other way to contact them besides the ebay messaging service?

Anyone have a similar situation?

First off relax, it ain't the end of your world.....ignore all the "you shoulda" msgs above, it's too late for lecturing....
IMHO, I get the feeling if the price was that low(and it's not out and out fraud), the seller doesn't want to "give it away" and will be content to "let sleeping dogs lie" and let the deal fade away, instead of trying to fight you about the shipping to get a better price and risk getting a neg. feedback from you.

Be patient....wait....
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2006
3433 posts
283 upvotes
Downtown Canada
Joke wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 4:20 pm
I thought I was pretty safe since the seller's located in T.O and its a pretty light item. Also, the item was won at a price "well" below retail value. I was cautious since there was less than 10 feedback but I saw all these people bidding and the price was too good the pass up. Anyways, I have the seller's name and address from the ebay confirmation email and the seller most likely has all my info and address. I was thinking if there is no response within like 5 days I would leave negative feedback but then I thought that the seller could retaliate since my address,name,email are in his possession, so I don't know what to do.

Write them a note about the shipping and leave it in their mailbox?
:cool:
[OP]
Jan 4, 2011
79 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Not a single response from the seller thus far. I would post the item number, but I'm afraid of my security since the seller is aware of my personal address and can maybe "retaliate" if I become a snitch (I'm sure this thread is easy to find once the # is posted). I would have showed you the # if i forwarded my mail to a post box, but that's not the case. Anyways, it looks like either the seller has gone away for a while or is going to sleep on it since it was a low price like one of you suggested. So should I open the resolve a case dispute thing once the time comes or do I just ignore the pay for the item message in my account?

I was really hoping to get the item, but it looks like I'll have to be cautious with too good to be true deals. Anyways, lets say I do the resolution thing and ebay contacts the seller or something and they caution him and stuff, what are the implications for me? I'm really concerned with the seller being some gangster thug with the knowledge of my info, and one day while walking out the door I see a car parked that I don't recognize. The passenger door opens. A large man walks out and says "thanks for the negative feedback. Asta lavista baby". I get blown away with a shotty and he comes to my side as I lay there and whispers "next time, there will be no next time.You don't get another chance, life is no Nintendo game. You should'nt have messed with me punk". He gets back in the car. I look on. While the car begins to fade away, I hear one last sound from the man who brought me down "don't worry, ebay will resolve your 'new' problem...Hahahahahaa". The sound echoes off into eternity and I wonder... how I ever got into this mess. A final thought comes to mind. This was the 'case to end all cases'. I smile. Eyes get heavy. Darkness.

This is the epilogue by the way. The other cases mentioned would obviously be in the prologue.
May 8, 2002
758 posts
98 upvotes
mrsandman wrote:
Feb 17th, 2011 11:34 am
Usually there's no issue IF you hold the sellers hand, shipping wise...Tell them what form of shipping to use, eg. US Postal Service "First Class Mail International" and send them the appropriate USPS link to the rate chart(which also shows package size limits in size and weight).
Also inform them about what to write on the customs slip(don't go the gift route) and to NOT include a reciept in the box (if applicable)......... No confusion, no surprises......you get it shipped your way and do their work for them..

What happens if you get them to write "Gift" and don't include a receipt? What exactly are you supposed to get them to write on the customs slip to avoid taxes/duties?
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
208 upvotes
Surrey
The Kid wrote:
Feb 19th, 2011 10:05 am
What happens if you get them to write "Gift" and don't include a receipt? What exactly are you supposed to get them to write on the customs slip to avoid taxes/duties?
Here's a thought: If you want to avoid taxes and duties being imposed on items you've bought on eBay and the like, just don't buy from foreign countries. If, on the other hand, you do buy from international sellers, then don't be so demanding on the sellers by insisting they lie on a legal form (i.e. the customs declaration) and don't put yourself at risk by insisting they undervalue a package which may be lost in transit and which you may later be demanding reimbursement.

I have had packages come through, correctly valued at $140 or more, and not had to pay anything, so it's a crapshoot but when I'm buying from a US seller (whether retailer or on something like eBay), I budget potential taxes and duties into my equation and if I don't have to pay anything to the government, then I'm even further ahead.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
208 upvotes
Surrey
Joke wrote:
Feb 16th, 2011 4:04 pm
So I won an auction, but the shipping price was not listed (it said to contact seller). The seller hasn't replied back in 2 days. Is there any way to obtain the paypal email address of the seller or some other way to contact them besides the ebay messaging service?
Haven't seen an update to the situation, so I'm presuming things haven't changed. Ultimately, it seems you haven't paid anything and the seller hasn't contacted you. Another couple of days and you'll likely be quite within your rights to contact the seller and tell them you'll not be proceeding with the transaction as they have not provided you with information required to complete it.

Having said that, you should wait a reasonable amount of time because seller could have been dumb enough to schedule the auction so it finished while they were on vacation, they could have been hit by a bus or simply have more pressing issues at hand.

You're not out anything, so relax. ;)
Feb 5, 2007
824 posts
90 upvotes
The Kid wrote:
Feb 19th, 2011 10:05 am

I think all the abuse of supposed "gift" declarations raises a red flag and opens the seller to potential problems with the customs posse ie. illegal declarations. The "gift" limit amount only goes to $60CDN, beyond that you pay duties/taxes anyway, so ordering a $500 item marked "gift" subjects you to tax/duty on $440....

Be ready to pay on any amount over $50...
Feb 5, 2007
824 posts
90 upvotes
Joke wrote:
Feb 19th, 2011 1:23 am
I was really hoping to get the item, but it looks like I'll have to be cautious with too good to be true deals. Anyways, lets say I do the resolution thing and ebay contacts the seller or something and they caution him and stuff, what are the implications for me?

First, park the paranoia.....If you really want to proceed and take your chances with big shipping costs, you can do the resolution thing but if the sellers' feedback is less than 10, he can walk away and open a new acc't/start over.

I get the feeling this item was in an area notorious for scam/ripoffs types on Ebay ie. laptops and other electronics that I'd NEVER buy from, esp. from a low feedback seller...

Live and learn....