None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13568 posts
3825 upvotes
Montreal

ebgames.ca sent me a box of junk!

I have ordered from ebgames.ca in the past, and other than the odd junker, my luck has been pretty good. but this recent order will certainly be my last.

they got some hard-to-find used games in stock, so I ordered them, and to save some time, I bought some new games that I had been wanting to pick up. total price, $125+

I got the box from purolator, opened it, and what a load of junk. all the used games were in blank cases with no outside liners or manuals, one with a crack on the inside circle, and 2 out of 3 of the "new" (cough) games were opened and *none* of them had that blank security sticker on the outside. so I call up online support, and they just tell me to "take them back to the store for a refund", as per their website.

so I go in to the closest store (still a hefty trek away in this freakishly cold weather) and as expected, I get a lot of flack for the used games "not having the sticker" and "there is no way the online store would sell them like that". the opened new games were even a tougher sell, and I am &%#$@ sick of eb mailing me out a box full of junk, and then the stores making it near-impossible to return said junk. finally I did get my money back, but only after sticking to my guns, refusing to get angry, and continually asking them to call online support.

obviously the store didn't want this unsellable pile of junk back, and I am starting to think these "blank box" used and "open box" new games are being sold sight-unseen online because that's the only method of getting rid of this crap.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6588 posts
1165 upvotes
T dot 6
Man, that sucks. I got screwed by the Source. They sold me something new that was clearly a return, the box was all screwed up. But I was like whatever, and then I didn't try the item (UPS) until months later and it didnt even work. I was mad, but couldn't find the receipt. I should have tried to return it anyway, but it wasnt worth my time, just stopped being a customer of the Source. Crappy company to begin with.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
5471 posts
3336 upvotes
Turonno
Never buy brand new from EB GAMES. They need to have a realization that you can't go around screwing gamers over. For me, it's especially the warranty shoving they do with parents.

In any case, I did buy a used game once in store and the guy specifically said "listen, we don't have a case, is that okay" and I appreciated that....but if you're buying online, you should DEFINITELY be told that you dont get the manual/cover. Urgh.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13568 posts
3825 upvotes
Montreal
Said212 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2015 3:57 pm
In any case, I did buy a used game once in store and the guy specifically said "listen, we don't have a case, is that okay" and I appreciated that....but if you're buying online, you should DEFINITELY be told that you dont get the manual/cover. Urgh.
I totally agree, and when you're selling used games online sight-unseen, eb should take care to sell their *best* copies simply because you cannot examine them. to lay down serious cash on some used games and get this box of crap in return, is like getting punched in the gut.

you move from "can't wait to play these games!" to "wtf is all this junk?" in a few seconds. :-0
Oct 20, 2005
656 posts
53 upvotes
Couldn't you do a chargeback I from your CC company? I think you'd be within your right. Call EB and tell them you are going to do so and see what they say. If they still don't, call CC company and explain the situation and see what they say.

Edit: sorry, you did get your money back after all
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13568 posts
3825 upvotes
Montreal
SomeGuyyyyyy wrote:
Feb 19th, 2015 5:58 pm
Edit: sorry, you did get your money back after all
yeah, but it sure wasn't easy, as you might imagine, trying to return a couple of open "new" games and some used discs in blank cases. :-0
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13791 posts
1302 upvotes
EB Games used to fix the old RRoD X-Box360s. The problem is, they wouldn't fix them properly so they would quickly break again after they were resold. After the 3rd one in a month broke, they had the nerve to tell me that they were out of refurbs and sorry about my luck. I finally got a hold of the regional manager when she was doing her rounds and was able to get a new one, but it took hours and hours of hassle. And even then, they gave me the Arcade version and still charged me the tax on it. It was like pulling teeth.

I had to go through 4 XBoxs to finally get a working one.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Feb 1, 2015
811 posts
406 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If im not mistaken, in Ontario, wouldn't it be illegal for a retailer to sell a game as brand new, if the packaging had been opened? (Technically NOT Brand New, as BRAND NEW items are sealed in a package with a sticker) I remember something years ago about this, but I may be mistaken.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13568 posts
3825 upvotes
Montreal
liambarry99 wrote:
Feb 20th, 2015 12:57 pm
If im not mistaken, in Ontario, wouldn't it be illegal for a retailer to sell a game as brand new, if the packaging had been opened? (Technically NOT Brand New, as BRAND NEW items are sealed in a package with a sticker) I remember something years ago about this, but I may be mistaken.
if so, then eb should have about 16 million offenses and owe the ontario government about a billion dollars in fines.

and I really didn't mind the "open" new games that much compared to getting three very-expensive used games in blank cases (no liner, no manual - that's unconscionable for an "sight-unseen" online transaction at those prices), but it was a nice bit of salt in the wound.