Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
150 upvotes
Burlington, ON

ebooks on Android

All my ebooks are .pdf and .epub and I have some downloaded with the Kindle app. I'm using a phone, a 10" tab and a 7" tab.
Right now I'm using Kindle because I have downloaded some books for free from them. Use Google Play to read the .epub files. Use Adobe for .pdf

I would like access to all my books all the time but I don't want all these different applications for it and having to do manual transfers from my desktop to all these devices all the time.
Google Play Books would solve everything if it could read .pdfs properly, but it take FOREVER to load, it's good with .epub.

Any solutions?

...also, is there any way to get those Kindle books that I downloaded on the application and covert them to .pdf?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6114 posts
1693 upvotes
Milton
Have your tried FBReader
[QUOTE]FBReader (FBReaderJ) is an e-book reader. Supports epub, rtf, fb2(.zip), mobi, and plain text file formats.
FBReader is fast, highly customizable. Can use external TrueType/OpenType fonts. Includes hyphenation patterns for 16 languages.

Includes a browser/downloader for network e-book catalogs/stores. Several popular English, French, Russian, Chinese and Polish libraries are included. Custom OPDS catalogs are supported too.

[/QUOTE]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7742 posts
399 upvotes
Scarborough
Moon+ Reader is the only one I can stand. I've tried about 30 other e-book reading software, including Kobo, Kindle, FBReader etc ... and Moon+ is the best. (IMHO)
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2011
1073 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
I use Dropbox to transfer ebooks between devices.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
150 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Tried some of the options, nothing really fixes the problem.
Think I just have to hope updates to Google Play Book will improve reading .pdfs, then I'll be set.
May 18, 2007
643 posts
98 upvotes
Bisons wrote: Tried some of the options, nothing really fixes the problem.
Think I just have to hope updates to Google Play Book will improve reading .pdfs, then I'll be set.
Moon+?
Oct 11, 2010
754 posts
81 upvotes
I use Aldiko. Has no problem reading pdfs and epubs. Nothing fancy, but with nice customization features.

That said the Adobe app is the best one for pdfs. So I keep it around just for that.
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
Hey Bisons, when you say pdfs take very long to load, do you mean it takes very long to load before you can start reading, or after its already downloaded it still takes a long time to start up whenever you want to continue reading the PDF?

Because I uploaded some 35mb pdf magazines to my tablet, and when I first clicked on the magazine on my tablet, it took approximately 10 minutes before it would let me read (bad wifi reception probably). Once the pdf was downloaded to my tablet, it was actually a very good experience. Google Play Books is still the best option to read pdf magazines on, as almost all other alternatives I've tried always have to render text whenever I zoom in, while Books doesn't have to.
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
150 upvotes
Burlington, ON
djemzine wrote: Try Fabrik reader. Its pretty good and I have it on my N7 and N4 devices. PS Google Play Books now supports PDF:

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-pl ... -uploading
I'll give Fabrik a try.
It supports it, but it's just terrible at reading them. Too slow loading pages.
pr3dat0r wrote: Moon+?
Have to pay for .pdfs
zijin_cheng wrote: Hey Bisons, when you say pdfs take very long to load, do you mean it takes very long to load before you can start reading, or after its already downloaded it still takes a long time to start up whenever you want to continue reading the PDF?

Because I uploaded some 35mb pdf magazines to my tablet, and when I first clicked on the magazine on my tablet, it took approximately 10 minutes before it would let me read (bad wifi reception probably). Once the pdf was downloaded to my tablet, it was actually a very good experience. Google Play Books is still the best option to read pdf magazines on, as almost all other alternatives I've tried always have to render text whenever I zoom in, while Books doesn't have to.
Just flipping to the next page, takes like 10 seconds for it to load. On all three devices it's that slow. epubs don't have that problem.
And they are not on the devices, didn't download the whole pdfs.
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
Bisons wrote: I'll give Fabrik a try.
It supports it, but it's just terrible at reading them. Too slow loading pages.

Have to pay for .pdfs

Just flipping to the next page, takes like 10 seconds for it to load. On all three devices it's that slow. epubs don't have that problem.
And they are not on the devices, didn't download the whole pdfs.
Hmm, that's wierd, and I'm guessing your pdfs are not of magazines, but of books, which should be even faster. What devices are you using them on?
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
150 upvotes
Burlington, ON
zijin_cheng wrote: Hmm, that's wierd, and I'm guessing your pdfs are not of magazines, but of books, which should be even faster. What devices are you using them on?
Books and mags are insanely slow.
TF700, S3 & Kindle Fire (with custom ROM)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2010
5621 posts
1552 upvotes
Toronto
coolreader is my fav for android, and i've tried em all.