None
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1764 posts
236 upvotes
GTA
arclite wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 2:03 am
I prefer eBooks because I don't have to worry about carrying a ton of books everywhere with me. I used to spend entire days at the library, so that mean studying multiple subjects a day and carrying multiple textbooks.

Benefits:
-No weight
-Free
-Can search PDFs

can be difficult for some majors. As a business student, i found only a couple of books online but 80% of my books were impossible to find online. I hear that theres a forum where engineering students share their pdf textbooks online or something lol.
Mar 26, 2007
651 posts
30 upvotes
Just get the textbook. You don't lose that much. Unless you get a reading tablet, normal screens will strain your eyes.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2008
1768 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
arclite wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 2:03 am
I prefer eBooks because I don't have to worry about carrying a ton of books everywhere with me. I used to spend entire days at the library, so that mean studying multiple subjects a day and carrying multiple textbooks.

Benefits:
-No weight
-Free
-Can search PDFs

Cons:
-Can't flip pages quick enough. In math/stats you have to do a lot of page flipping (examples, questions, answers) all of which are a pain with eBooks.
-PDFs do not have bookmarks. Have to manually add them.
-Not all books are digital yet, but a good camera often takes care of that
-Not all ebooks have searchable text, but Adobe Acrobat has built-in OCR capability
big con
© 2015
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2005
1213 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
I heard textbooks can be found cheap in kensington market ;)
Apr 16, 2011
273 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
neither. Who needs textbooks. Easy A's without. Just take it out of reserve in your library for a few hours, and photocopy the questions.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2777 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto
Can't flip around pages on eBook is the biggest cons for sure. I suppose if it's a textbook for reading only (novels, whatever) then ebook will be the best since you dont' really have to go back to whatever pages. For others, a paper textbook is usually better.

Yeah ebook is better on the go.... but let's be honest, how many of you will actually be studying for courses on the go anyway?! Looking at assignments, cheat/tip sheets, notes, yes perhaps. But actually reading txtbook?

Buy textbook used... and resell them (for around the same price you got them) once the term is over. Do that, and the actual spending on textbooks is really minimum. Don't EVER think you'll be better off keeping any textbook for an extra term or year just in case you need to reference it. You won't ever. (well unless there is another subsequent course, you'll take, using the same textbook)
Dec 30, 2012
34 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
If you have Kindle/iPad, then eBook. Since eBook on tablet is basically the same thing as the textbook but 10x lighter. And with the right software you can even make notes on the eBook on iPad, something you definitely don't want to do on a physical copy.
If you don't have a tablet, then physical copy. Reading it on a laptop is painful.
This is assuming that they're the same price. If eBook is much cheaper, then get eBook.
Aug 31, 2008
937 posts
102 upvotes
Thornhill
E-books are cheaper and more convenient than a textbook. However, I always find it a lot easier to read a textbook than a e-book. I usually get a headache staring at the monitor/screen after a few hours.
[QUOTE]"try try and try again.. and if you still don't succeed then you just wasted a lot of time trying to do something you just couldn't do!!"[/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2777 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto
EchoLan wrote:
Jan 7th, 2013 3:02 pm
If you have Kindle/iPad, then eBook. Since eBook on tablet is basically the same thing as the textbook but 10x lighter.
Not really. Even with Kindle or iPad, you can't really flip between pages like with an actual textbook.

Taking notes on eBook is a good point tho. But I guess you can use sticky notes on actual textbook too? Never tried that tho.

Another reason you may need real textbook... if the course has open-book exams. Just had a course like that where we could bring as many notes and books as we like for exam.... but as usual zero electronics.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1910 posts
119 upvotes
boyohboy wrote:
Jan 13th, 2013 4:27 am
Not really. Even with Kindle or iPad, you can't really flip between pages like with an actual textbook.

Taking notes on eBook is a good point tho. But I guess you can use sticky notes on actual textbook too? Never tried that tho.

Another reason you may need real textbook... if the course has open-book exams. Just had a course like that where we could bring as many notes and books as we like for exam.... but as usual zero electronics.
With the right software you can easily bookmark pages on ebooks. One tap to open TOC, one tap to go to bookmark. Even easier than flipping by hand.
× < >