• Jun 13th, 2017 1:10 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7077 posts
1294 upvotes
Brampton
I forgot to mention that after autosizing my High tap for Cool. I got more airflow for my AC calls. This really helps get the cool air up to the upper sections of the house.
Oct 14, 2007
327 posts
30 upvotes
FYI, the city of Toronto has a pilot program for ECM retrofits where they will give you a rebate:

http://www.greensaver.org/ecmhomeowners/

I couldn't find anything for York Region (were I am). I'm considering doing a retrofit and if you know any contracts that will do it, let me know.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7077 posts
1294 upvotes
Brampton
Wonivek wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 1:34 pm
FYI, the city of Toronto has a pilot program for ECM retrofits where they will give you a rebate:

I couldn't find anything for York Region (were I am). I'm considering doing a retrofit and if you know any contracts that will do it, let me know.
That's a good deal. $250. That's typically the cost of the motor. I wonder what the markup is for an approved/authorized installer is.

But also BOOOO since I already did min :(
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1031 posts
342 upvotes
Alliston, ON
I just ordered my Mars ECM motor. I'm interested to see how it will work.
Jul 26, 2008
160 posts
90 upvotes
Montreal
schade wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 5:38 pm
I just ordered my Mars ECM motor. I'm interested to see how it will work.
Same here glade I found this thread. Have an Ecobee and I use the fan mode a lot to circulate air around the house and transfer heat from sunny south west side to the cooler rooms. I was told that doing this, the constant stop / start was bad for the furnace fan blower motor. I think this won't be an issue with an ECM. This was also the last item in the house that was not yet energy efficient.

I ordered here http://www.discountplumbingoutlet.com/m ... digi-motor. Taking a little gamble on the total cost website FAQ mentioned that shipping to Canada included customs and brokerage fee, quote `All duties and taxes for Canadian orders are added automatically. Your order is delivered without any COD fees or duties/taxes. We prepay all taxes, duties and brokerage charges via FedEx brokerage.

total price was $213 USD about $288 CND. Will confirm the total cost when it arrives.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1031 posts
342 upvotes
Alliston, ON
naimc wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 7:49 pm
Same here glade I found this thread. Have an Ecobee and I use the fan mode a lot to circulate air around the house and transfer heat from sunny south west side to the cooler rooms. I was told that doing this, the constant stop / start was bad for the furnace fan blower motor. I think this won't be an issue with an ECM. This was also the last item in the house that was not yet energy efficient.

I ordered here http://www.discountplumbingoutlet.com/m ... digi-motor. Taking a little gamble on the total cost website FAQ mentioned that shipping to Canada included customs and brokerage fee, quote `All duties and taxes for Canadian orders are added automatically. Your order is delivered without any COD fees or duties/taxes. We prepay all taxes, duties and brokerage charges via FedEx brokerage.

total price was $213 USD about $288 CND. Will confirm the total cost when it arrives.
I ordered from them too, mine has shipped from Buffalo and i should see it tuesday night or wednesday
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4939 posts
4839 upvotes
Toronto
Somehow I missed this thread. Did not know such a product existed. Ordered from amazon.com for delivery to CBI in Niagara Falls. Will keep my current blower motor as a spare part. ALready have an ECM Gentech motor (2011 furnace) but it's louuud and sucks power.
I've got a pretty good friend who's seen me at my worst.
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.
Dec 3, 2006
16 posts
Toronto
Wonivek wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 1:34 pm

I got in touch with the program and they provided me with a couple of approved contractors. They only do a rebate for their approved ECM motors. Does any one have experience with any of these?

Eco Tech /Brand: 5522ET, 5532ET, 5542ET, 5552ET

Evergreen IM /Brand: 6005, 6010
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1031 posts
342 upvotes
Alliston, ON
My motor showed up today that I ordered from discountplumbingoutlet. No additional costs like they said (unless I get a bill from FedEx in a month). Total was $213us.
I don't understand FedEx shipping though, it ships from Buffalo, goes to Syracuse, then back through buffalo to Toronto... All by ground. Not every shipment should have to go back to a hub
Oct 14, 2007
327 posts
30 upvotes
radical wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 3:21 pm
I got in touch with the program and they provided me with a couple of approved contractors. They only do a rebate for their approved ECM motors. Does any one have experience with any of these?

Can you PM me the approved contractors. When I contacted them, they said ONLY Beylea Brothers were approved. I found that disappointing as they primarily only serve Toronto. I'm in Markham and was planning on getting one of contracts to come and swap out the motor at my cost.

Evergreen supposedly is a good motor too. The only issue is that the fair flow has to be manually adjusted to maintain the appropriate static pressure. Whereas I think the Mars one will automatically do it (via a jumper during setup).
Oct 14, 2007
327 posts
30 upvotes
radical wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 3:21 pm

FYI, I'm not sure if you know but to take advantage of this rebate, you now have to do the retrofit within a certain period of time - I think 6 weeks or something like that. They have created an ID# for you in the system.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7077 posts
1294 upvotes
Brampton
I'm curious what the cost of a retrofit is using one of the approved motors and going with an approved Contractor is. Since the rebate is $250 we know it's going to be way more than $250.

If someone does go this route let us know what the out of pocket cost is.
Dec 3, 2006
16 posts
Toronto
Yes it's open until June 30th, 2017 so I have few weeks to get it all sorted.

There are also other requirements: 1) Type of qualifying motor 2) Serial number of the motor 3) Contractor Registration # 4) Address of installation
Along with your application form, you must provide: 5) Motor specification sheet (or picture of motor name plate) 6) Proof of payment (invoice)

I will call the contractors just to see how much they charge. I saw tebore's post to change the motor myself but I am not comfortable with that so either way, I would have to hire someone to change it for me.

Edit: called one of their approved contractors - quoted $700+tax (then -$250 so would be around $500 cost for me) including everything.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
2944 posts
507 upvotes
Toronto
radical wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 11:36 am
Yes it's open until June 30th, 2017 so I have few weeks to get it all sorted.

There are also other requirements: 1) Type of qualifying motor 2) Serial number of the motor 3) Contractor Registration # 4) Address of installation
Along with your application form, you must provide: 5) Motor specification sheet (or picture of motor name plate) 6) Proof of payment (invoice)

I will call the contractors just to see how much they charge. I saw tebore's post to change the motor myself but I am not comfortable with that so either way, I would have to hire someone to change it for me.

Edit: called one of their approved contractors - quoted $700+tax (then -$250 so would be around $500 cost for me) including everything.
wooooow, for a job that takes MAYBE 1 hour to swap a motor out?... my goodness, I'm in the wrong line of work.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7077 posts
1294 upvotes
Brampton
Repooc wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 12:28 pm
wooooow, for a job that takes MAYBE 1 hour to swap a motor out?... my goodness, I'm in the wrong line of work.
Figures. Anytime there's any kind of Gov subsidy where only Authorized contractors are allowed you know it's crooked.