Expired Hot Deals

[Ecobee.com] Ecobee SmartSensor 2 pack $69

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2019 1:18 am
38 replies
Jul 11, 2004
857 posts
106 upvotes
I like the ecobee but I find it hard to swallow to pay for additional sensors. Even at this sale price the margins on these products must be very high. I do question how useful they are in a central heating system set up to save you money on heating or cooling costs. All they will tell you is that you have temperature differential in each room in your house.
Mar 11, 2018
65 posts
20 upvotes
growler wrote: I like the ecobee but I find it hard to swallow to pay for additional sensors. Even at this sale price the margins on these products must be very high. I do question how useful they are in a central heating system set up to save you money on heating or cooling costs. All they will tell you is that you have temperature differential in each room in your house.
I have been using them for 1+ year now and find them super useful during winters ! The sensor basically senses presence and heats up the bedroom on 1st floor in the night to the desired temperature.
Jun 22, 2003
272 posts
66 upvotes
Oakville
I have one sensor in my basement that isn't as warm as the rest of the house, when my kids are not playing there, that temperature isn't included into house average so upstairs floors are kept close to their set temperature. When kids go to play downstairs, it detects the motion and runs furnace a bit more warming up the basement (and upper floors past their set temperature) so that its comfortable temperature there. Another use case: for night, i set to only use sensors from bedrooms so it won't care about how cold main floor gets.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1941 posts
479 upvotes
My house is noticeably more comfortable after installing the sensors in the house (bedrooms, plus common areas like family room/kitchen). It's a cost vs. comfort argument. You'll never save any appreciable amount of money by using the sensors. What the sensors do is re-allocate when and how much more your system needs to run to keep any uncomfortable occupied hot/cold spots in the house at a minimum.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2572 posts
518 upvotes
Ottawa
House ducting doesn't have baffles, so the thermostat nor the furnace can send more to basement or back bedroom.. It'll just ramp up the furnace until back bedroom is at desired temp.. But rest of house might get a floor of heat to get that to happen.. Do you guys encounter that?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
1593 posts
112 upvotes
I'm assuming this can be price matched at HD (no price beat)?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4540 posts
1438 upvotes
Kingston
shylok wrote: House ducting doesn't have baffles, so the thermostat nor the furnace can send more to basement or back bedroom.. It'll just ramp up the furnace until back bedroom is at desired temp.. But rest of house might get a floor of heat to get that to happen.. Do you guys encounter that?
I bought the first version sensors a while back. It's nice to see what the temperature is at, but I don't use it to regulate the temperature in the house. I wanted my son's room to be a specific temperature, but it made the rest of the house unbearably hot.

Better to just get a temperature controlled space heater for the room that is too cold.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2546 posts
1518 upvotes
Parksville, BC
These work with the Ecobee 3 Lite and/or SmartThings hub?

EDIT: Yes, for the last 2 years they have.
Apr 7, 2007
102 posts
12 upvotes
Tried PM-ing at both HD and BB, but they won't PM with the manufacturer. Still, a reasonable deal. Thanks OP.

Also, FYI, it does not help heat up one room. It will heat up the whole house to get to a requested temperature. The most useful thing about these sensors is to see the temp's in a room (great for a nursery/kid's room). On their site you can even see the temperatures from each room/sensor, plotted throughout the day.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2546 posts
1518 upvotes
Parksville, BC
I have a split level and on the lowest floor I have a wood stove and on the opposite end of the house a gas fireplace. Hoping I can even out the temp in the house without having to constantly (and manually) turn on the furnace fan to recirculate the air.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2572 posts
518 upvotes
Ottawa
Tha DraGun wrote: I bought the first version sensors a while back. It's nice to see what the temperature is at, but I don't use it to regulate the temperature in the house. I wanted my son's room to be a specific temperature, but it made the rest of the house unbearably hot.

Better to just get a temperature controlled space heater for the room that is too cold.
Have to have your HVAC guys in to try to balance the house. Which is a exercise of closing some vents/adjusting their opening so more air pushes to certain rooms.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39905 posts
5968 upvotes
King City
Bleh. Sold out. I mean $20 off is okay, but nothing spectacular. Any other retailer offering this?
Proud to be an Indian.
192 posts
63 upvotes
The occupied room feature of these sensors is pointless at night. You don't move enough while sleeping so it'll just think the room is unoccupied. The only reason to get these is if you need to monitor a temperature in a room (ie. baby's room), but if you set a normally colder room to a certain temp, the rest of the house could get super hot. Basically there are a ton of usability/edge cases with these things that make them hard to understand and use.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3116 posts
1874 upvotes
Toronto
mr_yellow wrote: My house is noticeably more comfortable after installing the sensors in the house (bedrooms, plus common areas like family room/kitchen). It's a cost vs. comfort argument. You'll never save any appreciable amount of money by using the sensors. What the sensors do is re-allocate when and how much more your system needs to run to keep any uncomfortable occupied hot/cold spots in the house at a minimum.
I agree, i don't think people should rely on these to make their house more comfortable. I've got them at my parents place and my place. My parents have an older home so its not as well insulated. Their heat would be constantly running at night so to solve that issue I got two sensors for their ecobee.

When they're sleeping, their room is generally warmer than the main floor. The heat runs less often now compared to before using the sensors.

I use them for a similar setup. Only the bedroom sensor is on during sleep time so the heat rarely ever runs at night.