Expired Hot Deals

[Ecobee.com] Ecobee SmartSensor 2 pack $69

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2019 1:18 am
Oct 2, 2019
132 posts
107 upvotes
GavinCampbell wrote: The first thing I do before adjusting though is make sure the sensors are in a correct spot in the room. I sit it next to wear people would be sitting. The reason being is the temperatures around the room itself are different. In my family room I had it on a shelf higher up and it was always warmer so the room felt colder than expected.

You can adjust the dampers in the basement to adjust them amount of air flowing to the floors (I wouldn't close any of them though) and that will help. Then in each room you can open/close the registers. You they should also have a damper at the register itself. Give a day or so and recheck the temperatures.

My office is always going to be a pain because of the computers in it, so I just exclude it from any sort of temperature calculations.

You can also adjust the fan cycle so it runs more. This will help circulate the air. I opened the return in the basement and in the summer this helped cool upstairs and warm the basement up by cycling the cold air from downstairs to upstairs. In the winter you would probably want the opposite.

Of course I'm not a pro and this works for me, but there are a bunch of articles and videos on the web that can explain it in more detail if needed.
I don’t need the sensors then? Just get any 2 $4 thermometer at dollarama and put one in the basement and one upstairs, then follow your instructions?
Jan 15, 2010
507 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
k847848 wrote: I don’t need the sensors then? Just get any 2 $4 thermometer at dollarama and put one in the basement and one upstairs, then follow your instructions?
Ya. If you just want to balance things out (it will never be perfect but will help). If you want to do any other automations with the ecobee the sensors are worth it.
Dec 27, 2007
560 posts
374 upvotes
GavinCampbell wrote: You wouldn't use that feature at night. Instead you would have its night mode only monitor the sensors in the bedrooms (or whatever rooms you want) to ensure its the right temperature. You do want to make sure these rooms are balanced in temp though or one will be much warmer or colder than the other. I disabled the follow me feature as I didn't like it.

Instead, I use them (along with other sensors) to just help me balance out the house to level out the temperature. You don't have to use the ecobee sensors specifically for this but it makes a difference in the overall comfort of the house. I've even done it at my mothers place and she noticed a big difference in the overall feel of the house.
I am not sure if I get it. Let's say the house is normally at 22c in upstair and 24c in the main level where the thermoste locates, how can the sensor help you to bring upstairs to 24c, and lower the main level to 22c? I would think the result will be 24c at 2nd floor 26c at the main since it's a full house furnace.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1232 posts
901 upvotes
hiker007 wrote: I am not sure if I get it. Let's say the house is normally at 22c in upstair and 24c in the main level where the thermoste locates, how can the sensor help you to bring upstairs to 24c, and lower the main level to 22c? I would think the result will be 24c at 2nd floor 26c at the main since it's a full house furnace.
This actually depends on your furnace and how many stages it has but essentially you are right. There will be fluctuation everywhere.

Some furnaces can ‘trickle’ heat to creep up the heat and allow it to disperse more evenly, but others are full on. In the full on scenario you would get warmer than intended zones.

The best part of this feature is the ability to not have to worry about some rooms that are generally warmer in summer but cooler in winter, and are not used a lot. When the sensor detects occupancy, it knows that it needs to warm that zone and will try. When you leave, it stops. This is of course if you set it that way.

Also, when you go to a cool bedroom it will also try to warm it.

The occupancy sensor is very good. But as stated before, you can even out your overall comfort too, but how well this will work depends on your furnace as well. If you have a newer multistage furnace you will definitely feel a difference in comfort with the ECOBEE 4 and sensors.

The thermostat can even decide to run the fan and cold air return to distribute heat the house already has more evenly, using the sensors.
Jan 15, 2010
507 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
hiker007 wrote: I am not sure if I get it. Let's say the house is normally at 22c in upstair and 24c in the main level where the thermoste locates, how can the sensor help you to bring upstairs to 24c, and lower the main level to 22c? I would think the result will be 24c at 2nd floor 26c at the main since it's a full house furnace.
The sensors won't do it for you. They are just for information. A few posts above I mentioned how I even out my place by adjusting dampers registers and a few other things. Its not perfect but it gets close and the overall comfort feels much better. You can't really account for things such as sun position but it helps. I've done this at my place and my parents place to balance things out a bit and it really helped. Also wired in my humidifier to help with the house humidity. That made things feel better as well.

I don't use the follow me (or presence detection) feature out of preference. For some reason it just threw things off. I'm not a fan of it. At night the routine only monitors my bedroom temperature (I don't care what the rest of the house is at).

You just have to adjust and play with things and understand how the thermostat works with the sensors and you can get things to how you like it. Everybody is different.
Aug 5, 2010
48 posts
8 upvotes
Just received mine today.
No notice of when the order shipped.

This changed my thermostat completely.
I'm pretty happy with them.
And they're surprisingly smaller than I thought
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2546 posts
1518 upvotes
Parksville, BC
Got a shipment email. Estimated delivery by Monday.