[OP]
Mar 11, 2004
319 posts
65 upvotes
Ottawa

Ecobee3 Lite vs Honeywell Lyric T6 vs Nest Thermostat E- Green Ontario Fund

Hi RFD,
Need your advice and suggestion.

Mom's house qualifies for the Green Ontario Fund. It is a bungalow built in 80s with little to no insulation, especially in the basement.

Which of the these options would you go with and Why?

There are three eligible thermostats:
ecobee3 lite
Honeywell Lyric™ T6
Nest Thermostat E
105 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3504 posts
813 upvotes
Mississauga
How do these work? I get that you need sensors in different parts of the house but how does your heat get distributed more evenly etc? Do you need a modern furnace or something?
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
8824 posts
2721 upvotes
Brampton
Do a search it's been discussed before.

The model you chose comes down to the HVAC system you have.

Basically the it comes down to Ecobee vs Lyric.
Unless you want stupid simple intersect then the nest.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
2980 posts
365 upvotes
GTA
ar2020 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 4:14 pm
How do these work? I get that you need sensors in different parts of the house but how does your heat get distributed more evenly etc? Do you need a modern furnace or something?
It doesn't get distributed more evenly, it simply heats up the room with the sensor to the temp that you want, this will obviously cause other rooms to either heat up more or less. Its a good idea in some cases and stupid in other cases.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
29979 posts
5111 upvotes
Ottawa
shabby wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 9:35 pm
It doesn't get distributed more evenly, it simply heats up the room with the sensor to the temp that you want, this will obviously cause other rooms to either heat up more or less. Its a good idea in some cases and stupid in other cases..
So correct.
Personally, I cannot figure out why anyone would spend $300 or more on a set back thermostat. You get the same effect with a 7 day setback thermostat. (my Son has a Nest thermostat and it is no better than the Honeywell set back he had before).

EDIT: I just saw the Lowes flyer and the Honeywell Lyric T5 WiFi Thermostat is on sale for $99 (regular $179) and save the tax for the next 7 days.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
14963 posts
4032 upvotes
Toronto
I asked the very same question. None of the 3 options are perfect. I was leaning toward the ecobee and I heard nothing compelling to change my decision. The advantage of the ecobee for me is the option of adding remote sensors. It is effectively moving the thermostat around the house. In the summer, I want to cycle my AC based on the hottest room on the second floor. For winter heating I am satisfied with the current thermostat location.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/smart-t ... r-2135340/
May 22, 2009
46 posts
14 upvotes
Capital City
I had a NEST for a year in a rental and now am back to having an old style programmable thermostat until the ontario guy comes to install. I'm up in the air between the Nest and the Ecobee. I really loved the Nest and I do miss it. If I wasn't getting one for free I'd have installed my own by now. It's enjoyable to use and will slowly pay for itself
Aug 20, 2009
6464 posts
1098 upvotes
Grimsby
I've had both the Nest in a previous house and now have an Ecobee3 in our current place. Personally I prefer the Ecobee, the remote sensor thing is just very convenient for rooms that you spend a lot of time in that get too hot/cold. I have a remote sensor setup in my basement where its 2 degrees cooler, it detects me down there when I walk by, takes an average between the sensors and the main unit then heats it up a bit if I'm there for 10-15 mins. As someone else said, think of it like a roaming thermostat. Just really handy. Otherwise its basically just a programmable thermostat with a fancy display. I've seen some savings but nothing to write home about. I wouldn't buy one without the rebate unless it was $100, $200+ for these things is silly.

It's a thermostat, don't overthink the decision, its not going to change your life :)
Apr 4, 2013
240 posts
30 upvotes
Milton
shabby wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 9:35 pm
It doesn't get distributed more evenly, it simply heats up the room with the sensor to the temp that you want, this will obviously cause other rooms to either heat up more or less. Its a good idea in some cases and stupid in other cases.
In general that is true. There are however now "smart" vents that can work in conjunction with your thermostat and sensors. Haven't tried it and not interested in spending $$$ but if you're interested take a look here
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1590 posts
136 upvotes
How long is average wait time for an installer to reach you after getting the email you were accepted in the program?
Jan 4, 2017
175 posts
43 upvotes
redsfan wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 10:03 am
How long is average wait time for an installer to reach you after getting the email you were accepted in the program?
accepted back in sept, and still waiting...
Nov 23, 2008
321 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
jesguerra wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 10:39 am
accepted back in sept, and still waiting...
I applied the day the thread was posted on RFD regarding the free thermostat. I got one e-mail some time (months?) ago confirming I was accepted into the program, and I got another e-mail last week re-confirming that I'm in the program, and they asked me to select a thermostat from the choices, as well as reconfirming some details. Expecting another e-mail to finalize an appointment time for the installation.

It's definitely in progress, I'm assuming it's just due to the sheer volume that they have to work through.
Jan 4, 2017
175 posts
43 upvotes
Zewo wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 10:53 am
I applied the day the thread was posted on RFD regarding the free thermostat. I got one e-mail some time (months?) ago confirming I was accepted into the program, and I got another e-mail last week re-confirming that I'm in the program, and they asked me to select a thermostat from the choices, as well as reconfirming some details. Expecting another e-mail to finalize an appointment time for the installation.

It's definitely in progress, I'm assuming it's just due to the sheer volume that they have to work through.
Yes I assumed it was due to volume. Oh well, it's free.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1719 posts
233 upvotes
Signed up for this as well, but I just looked at the Nest E and Ecobee 3 Lite and neither can control a humidifier....which was really my only reason for changing my existing 'dumb' wifi thermostat. Oh well.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20326 posts
7314 upvotes
Ottawa
redsfan wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 10:03 am
My install at a rental property was completed yesterday here in Kanata and I signed up on day 1.