Home & Garden

Ecobee3 Lite vs Honeywell Lyric T6 vs Nest Thermostat E- Green Ontario Fund

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2018 11:48 am
Dec 19, 2017
1 posts
I signed up for the program back in August, and was accepted, and got a couple emails but nothing since October so I sent them an email last week, but still haven't heard anything, so I gave them a call to find out when appointments were being made etc. Once I got off the phone with them I got a follow up email to my original email. Thought it might be useful for everyone here.

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting the Green Ontario Fund.

GreenON Installations are now up and running as program representatives begin to roll out across the province. A program representative will contact you to check the eligibility and compatibility of your home with smart thermostats and if eligible, set up an appointment to install a smart thermostat and conduct an in-home energy review.

Unfortunately there is no time line to provide to you at the moment please be reassured that the program has been expanded to fit those on the waitlist. The program end date is on April 2018 that is when we are hoping to be done with all installations.

When you are contacted will depend on when you submitted your application and the availability of installers in your area. You may hear from us as early as within a few weeks, or it might take a few more months. This program is very popular, so we thank you for your patience.

In the meantime, check greenon.ca for additional energy-saving programs in your area.

Best regards,"
Jan 8, 2005
714 posts
106 upvotes
Windsor
It looks like none of the available choices can control a humidifier. Pity
Apr 2, 2011
423 posts
125 upvotes
I received my thermostat selection email yesterday. After finalising my selection and completing the questionnaire, it informed me that based on my postal code, installation in my area is unavailable at the present.

I would receive a follow up email at a later date when installation would be available in my area.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1660 posts
415 upvotes
Kitchener
I just got the email to select the device. I have a basic 9 year old furnace, single stage and a HRV unit. Which of the options would be best considering we use the HRV alot to even out the temp in the house and keep condensation away?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20348 posts
7336 upvotes
Ottawa
peelhic wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 8:58 pm
I just got the email to select the device. I have a basic 9 year old furnace, single stage and a HRV unit. Which of the options would be best considering we use the HRV alot to even out the temp in the house and keep condensation away?
None of these free tstats connects with your HRV.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1660 posts
415 upvotes
Kitchener
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 9:32 pm
None of these free tstats connects with your HRV.
Right now I have a regular 5/2 stat and then a separate control panel for the HRV unit so I assume that they will replace the tstat and just leave the HRV control as it is today?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20348 posts
7336 upvotes
Ottawa
peelhic wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 9:52 pm
Right now I have a regular 5/2 stat and then a separate control panel for the HRV unit so I assume that they will replace the tstat and just leave the HRV control as it is today?
That's correct.
They won't wire any additional systems to the tstat.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1831 posts
429 upvotes
Anyone have any idea if this is compatible with my Hydronic Air System? I have a massive hot water heater that pumps hot water into an air handler. My house has 3 zones with 3 thermostats. Obviously I'd just be replacing the one thermostat with this one but can anyone perhaps share what thermostat would be best for this system?
Jan 5, 2018
3 posts
The Honeywell Lyric T6 TH 6320WF2003 which is one of the three choices has two dry contacts for the HRV connection. GreenOn did not tell me they won't wire the HRV to the T6.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20348 posts
7336 upvotes
Ottawa
retrofan02 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 6:54 pm
The Honeywell Lyric T6 TH 6320WF2003 which is one of the three choices has two dry contacts for the HRV connection. GreenOn did not tell me they won't wire the HRV to the T6.
I'm not sure if you're up to speed with actual installations, but GreenOn is not offering the Honeywell anymore.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2004
1639 posts
5 upvotes
NKode wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 3:30 pm
I received my thermostat selection email yesterday. After finalising my selection and completing the questionnaire, it informed me that based on my postal code, installation in my area is unavailable at the present.

I would receive a follow up email at a later date when installation would be available in my area.
Same here :( What a tease
Ebay Rating

Heatware
--------------------------------------------------
"This is not fine prose nor, by itself, terribly clear. It would appear to have been drafted by lawyers." - Cummings, J. Bourke, et al. v. Dun & Bradstreet, Inc. (1998)
Jan 5, 2018
3 posts
The Honeywell T6 was still on the list when I selected it a few days ago. Disappointing after reviewing the choices to determine that it was the only one with HRV connections.
Aug 8, 2003
859 posts
58 upvotes
Ontario
I have no clue which thermostat to Choose, they’re the experts, why doesn’t the inspector tell the home owner which ones the best for that specific HVAC system?
[OP]
Mar 11, 2004
319 posts
65 upvotes
Ottawa
TheZodiac wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 10:46 am
I have no clue which thermostat to Choose, they’re the experts, why doesn’t the inspector tell the home owner which ones the best for that specific HVAC system?
That would be the logical solution but these Govt programs always make things harder on the consumer. Similar to what you said, they should test the HVAC system and select the best/optimal TStat. However, the choices provided is more of subjective selection due to preferences of UI and simplicty/complexity of the unit. I am still torn as my Mom's house does not have a HRV and I don't see one in the foreseeable future but it looks like I may base my decison on ease of use for her.
Apr 20, 2009
146 posts
25 upvotes
deluxster wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 11:08 am
That would be the logical solution but these Govt programs always make things harder on the consumer. Similar to what you said, they should test the HVAC system and select the best/optimal TStat. However, the choices provided is more of subjective selection due to preferences of UI and simplicty/complexity of the unit. I am still torn as my Mom's house does not have a HRV and I don't see one in the foreseeable future but it looks like I may base my decison on ease of use for her.
There isn't one that is "best" for your hvac system but if it's not compatible the installer will tell you and recommend another model.