• Jul 15th, 2018 10:49 am
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22246 posts
8886 upvotes
Ottawa
deluxster wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 11:08 am
That would be the logical solution but these Govt programs always make things harder on the consumer. Similar to what you said, they should test the HVAC system and select the best/optimal TStat. However, the choices provided is more of subjective selection due to preferences of UI and simplicty/complexity of the unit. I am still torn as my Mom's house does not have a HRV and I don't see one in the foreseeable future but it looks like I may base my decison on ease of use for her.
Once these smart tstats are installed and "programmed", you never have to touch it again.
If you're worried about your mom not being able to learn how to use it, you can install the app, log in to the account and be the one that configures it remotely for her.
[OP]
Mar 11, 2004
333 posts
74 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 2:16 pm
Once these smart tstats are installed and "programmed", you never have to touch it again.
If you're worried about your mom not being able to learn how to use it, you can install the app, log in to the account and be the one that configures it remotely for her.
Thanks that is still my plan to do the mgmt remotely. I am still contemplating on which manufacturer to go with.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
128 upvotes
Got email to choose the thermostat as well,

I chose ecobee, nest and Honeywell in that order as I would like compatibility with my google home

But after the questions, said installers not in my area yet

Hope it's not gonna be too long
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1919 posts
507 upvotes
I have a hydronic air system - Envirosense 100 000 btu water heater heats coils inside of an air handler which has 3 zones to the 3 different levels of the house. I have 3 thermostats but will be replacing one of them through this program.

Anyone know which one would be best for my type of hvac system?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
2591 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just got a call that they are installing in my area. Scheduled for this Thursday. I completely forgot I signed up for this and the call caught me off guard. I was gonna hang up up because it was one of those 1888 numbers.

Anyways, they asked me a few general questions about the house and what was my first choice for the thermostat. I said Nest. Don't know the advantages or disadvantages between the ecobee3 or nest e but I have a Nest Cam for the baby so I guess it would integrate a little better with my Nest app and personal use.

I live in East York BTW. Any one else in the same boat?
Jun 5, 2013
83 posts
44 upvotes
Ottawa
Those who have chosen the Nest thermostat, please make sure you have the C-wire availability. There was a long discussion here on the C-wire and how people having Nest installed without a C wire connection had a problem with their thermostat no communicating with the furnace.

There was also a huge update from Google to fix this issue

As far as I remember the ecobee does not need a C wire connection as it has a built in adapter for it but I would leave it for the technician to advise you when he comes for install
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1462 posts
825 upvotes
Saudi Arabia
braveheart3112 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 8:48 am
Those who have chosen the Nest thermostat, please make sure you have the C-wire availability. There was a long discussion here on the C-wire and how people having Nest installed without a C wire connection had a problem with their thermostat no communicating with the furnace.

There was also a huge update from Google to fix this issue

As far as I remember the ecobee does not need a C wire connection as it has a built in adapter for it but I would leave it for the technician to advise you when he comes for install
Running a Nest E myself with no C wire. The system works perfectly.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3408 posts
733 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Got email recently for questionnaire. Then at end said no installation in our area... week later get email to schedule appt.

Got it for early Feb... last couple of days in Jan were also available.

Chose E3 lite... let's see what they bring
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1534 posts
236 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
im in the same boat, which one of these 3 has a filter change required reminder built in?
Hi
Aug 20, 2009
6619 posts
1280 upvotes
Grimsby
GoodFellaz wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 11:12 am
im in the same boat, which one of these 3 has a filter change required reminder built in?
The Ecobee has a notifications module for that stuff, I have it set to remind me for filters and maintenance. The Nest didn't when I used it years ago but I'm sure it must by now.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
5069 posts
321 upvotes
Ottawa
georvu wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 11:08 am
Got email recently for questionnaire. Then at end said no installation in our area... week later get email to schedule appt.

Got it for early Feb... last couple of days in Jan were also available.

Chose E3 lite... let's see what they bring
How far can you schedule the appointment? I’m getting my new place in April so would it let me go that far?

I got the questionnaire email but haven’t gone through it because I don’t know how the dates work.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3408 posts
733 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
jeeva86 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 12:47 am
How far can you schedule the appointment? I’m getting my new place in April so would it let me go that far?

I got the questionnaire email but haven’t gone through it because I don’t know how the dates work.
Set up appt earlier this week.

Gave me last 2-3 days in Jan and all of Feb. They install on Sat also. Get like 2-3 hours appt range.

I did try to see if could schedule after Feb but would not let me.

Suggest email them to see if they can delay install. Else just install at current place and then remove when move. Replace with tstat from new place or get a regular tstat for like $30-40 [programmable]; non prog can even find for less. Check home depot for these.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
5069 posts
321 upvotes
Ottawa
Interesting so maybe a 1-2 months leeway is what you get. I can't install at current place.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3061 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 2:28 pm
The Ecobee has a notifications module for that stuff, I have it set to remind me for filters and maintenance. The Nest didn't when I used it years ago but I'm sure it must by now.
Sure, the Ecobee has this, but you could easily just use any reminder app for this - Google for example...

I must say, I'm not particularly impressed with this so-called smart thermostat. So far, I find it's not doing anything that my old thermostat couldn't do except be wifi connected and allow remote settings/adjustment - a feature I will probably never use. If anything, this tstat is less sophisticated when it comes to programming. For example, why can't I have more than one Home setting? In the morning I don't need the temp to go up as much as in the afternoon. Nope, the Ecobee treats them the same - you're home and you can only have one setting for home.

Also, the fan control is downright stupid. I can set it to run x minutes per hour for 24 hours. That's it. Why can't it be connected to the Home, Sleep or Away settings? I only want the fan to cycle at night - the rest of the day I want it to be off. Not possible.

Very disappointed so far. This thing could have been so much more with a more customizeable interface. Reading the manual, it looks like I should be able to create new comfort settings from the web portal. Why isn't this possible on the device itself or in the app? Just poor design.

And another thing I just remembered - scheduled time is set in increments of 30 minutes... We get up at 6:45 every morning, I want the place to be warm by 6:45 - how hard should that be? Nope, can't be done - must heat up place by 6:30 or by 7, so either there's wasted heat for 15 minutes, or I can be cold for 15 minutes - my choice - how charming. I think my old thermostat gave 1-minute, or at least 5-minute increments to work with.
4 years of pain for Ontario...
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1082 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
Little Tim wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 1:02 pm
Sure, the Ecobee has this, but you could easily just use any reminder app for this - Google for example...

I must say, I'm not particularly impressed with this so-called smart thermostat. So far, I find it's not doing anything that my old thermostat couldn't do except be wifi connected and allow remote settings/adjustment - a feature I will probably never use. If anything, this tstat is less sophisticated when it comes to programming. For example, why can't I have more than one Home setting? In the morning I don't need the temp to go up as much as in the afternoon. Nope, the Ecobee treats them the same - you're home and you can only have one setting for home.

Also, the fan control is downright stupid. I can set it to run x minutes per hour for 24 hours. That's it. Why can't it be connected to the Home, Sleep or Away settings? I only want the fan to cycle at night - the rest of the day I want it to be off. Not possible.

Very disappointed so far. This thing could have been so much more with a more customizeable interface. Reading the manual, it looks like I should be able to create new comfort settings from the web portal. Why isn't this possible on the device itself or in the app? Just poor design.

And another thing I just remembered - scheduled time is set in increments of 30 minutes... We get up at 6:45 every morning, I want the place to be warm by 6:45 - how hard should that be? Nope, can't be done - must heat up place by 6:30 or by 7, so either there's wasted heat for 15 minutes, or I can be cold for 15 minutes - my choice - how charming. I think my old thermostat gave 1-minute, or at least 5-minute increments to work with.
The Ecobee2 lite can do some of what you want it to. You can have multiple "home" settings. They are known as "comfort setting" I believe you can have up to 5 addiitonal ones. Each comfort setting have a custom fan setting as well. I have the fans on during the day, but off at night - tied to my sleep comfort setting. I do miss the 15 minute intervals from my honeywell themo.