• Jul 15th, 2018 10:49 am
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3076 posts
621 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Little Tim wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 1:02 pm
Also, the fan control is downright stupid. I can set it to run x minutes per hour for 24 hours. That's it. Why can't it be connected to the Home, Sleep or Away settings? I only want the fan to cycle at night - the rest of the day I want it to be off. Not possible.
Someone else addressed your other concerns. But this one is the one thing that the ecobee community really seems to want and that ecobee hasn't yet provided. As you said all they have to do is make the "Run fan minimum of X minutes/hour" be an individual setting in each comfort setting instead of a global one and i think it would satisfy nearly all the complaints on this issue.
Apr 1, 2013
429 posts
75 upvotes
BC
For those choose Ecobee Lite 3, you should search "ecobee loses wifi connection" "ecobee wifi disconnect". Ecobee has a bug and there is no fix for it. I had my Ecobee installed in early Jan 2018 by GreenOn installer. After 17 days I experienced wifi disconnection problem.
I would not recommend Ecobee 3 Lite.
My firmware version 3.8.0.501
Talk to Ecobee Support 877 9326233 about this issue and see what they say.

ecobee3-wifi-disconnecting-2165106/
Dec 17, 2017
1 posts
Can anyone confirm if I can keep my old thermostat just in case months later the new one is dead? (I selected Nest E which says 1 year warranty only).
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1207 posts
153 upvotes
GTA
geneliu22 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 9:29 pm
Can anyone confirm if I can keep my old thermostat just in case months later the new one is dead? (I selected Nest E which says 1 year warranty only).
I had the Nest E installed yesterday and I asked the installer about the warranty. He said it is typically 1 year but it is extended to 3 years thru them.
Aug 19, 2006
13 posts
2 upvotes
geneliu22 wrote:
I kept my old thermostat, but the guy said I had to give him any other one to take. I ended up giving him an old mechanical one I saved just for this purpose ;)

I picked the Honeywell because it was the only one with Aux inputs afaik. Either way, I don't really care to mess around with my tstat in the first place. I only upgraded because mine didn't have the circulate option.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4248 posts
567 upvotes
I got the Nest, should have went with the Ecobee.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3116 posts
982 upvotes
Toronto
geneliu22 wrote:
I was allowed to keep mine, but it took a bit of negotiating. I had disconnected mine before they came and was prepared to give them my old broken one that I had kept around for some reason. When they saw what I had done they told me I had to connect the old thermostat because they had to confirm that the system was working before they installed the Ecobee. I guess this is to cover their back, so I understand that. Had a bit of explaining to do when I then had to pull out the old working thermostat. They had to make a few calls to their supervisor, but in the end they accepted the old broken one. They just have to walk away with something.
Kherani wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 12:17 pm
I got the Nest, should have went with the Ecobee.
Why?
4 years of pain for Ontario...
Mar 11, 2011
169 posts
38 upvotes
Scarborough
Does anyone know if they come and start looking at other things in the house?
The terms and conditions mention that they will do a home energy audit and write down your applicance details. Which I don't feel comfortable of them doing.

I just want them to come, install and leave.

For those who installed Ecobee, did they install the PEK? I am missing the C-wire.
Jun 1, 2011
444 posts
69 upvotes
Ajax
h3nry8888 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 4:18 pm
The terms and conditions mention that they will do a home energy audit and write down your applicance details. Which I don't feel comfortable of them doing.

For those who installed Ecobee, did they install the PEK? I am missing the C-wire.
Yes, they do install the PEK.

For everyone else asking, they do take the old thermostat away. I am pretty sure you make a deal if you have an old one laying around; however, they must confirm that your furnace is in working state before they do the work. So make sure you have a thermostat installed before they show up.
May 7, 2012
633 posts
220 upvotes
h3nry8888 wrote:

If no C-wire then you'll need PEK. But not what I would call an energy "audit".
1. Made sure furnace worked before doing any work
2. Removed old t-stat
3. Installed ecobee3 lite
4. confirmed wiring at furnace was correct
5. Mae sure furnace worked after installation of ecobee
6. asked a few questions about insulation, age of appliances
Total time 30 mins max. I was expecting over 1 hour to check panel, attic, appliance efficiencies
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4545 posts
551 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
h3nry8888 wrote:
Yeah, I didn't like that either so I'm just ignoring their emails and automated phone reminders.

I don't even understand why an installer has to come to the house at all.
Replacing a thermostat is dead simple.
Feb 24, 2017
55 posts
16 upvotes
krs wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 9:42 pm
Yeah, I didn't like that either so I'm just ignoring their emails and automated phone reminders.

There was no need to book an installation. I just claimed the refund on the ecobee site. it redirected me to Enbridge who applies the discount. Still waiting for ny next bill. So we'll see.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3076 posts
621 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
krs wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 9:42 pm

Yes it is simple but i'd go so far as to say that at least 50% of the governments target audience (people still using really old non-programmable or barely programmable thermostats) for this program would not be comfortable installing a new thermostat especially if it required touching the furnace wiring (installing the PEK).

Sure a bunch of us dont' want or need it but I agree with the decision that if they were going to offer this to the "general public" then it is a requirement that they provide installation service with it.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16806 posts
5313 upvotes
Toronto
It took 3 months and 3 attempts before I finally got my ecobee3 lite installed. Be careful with the installers. These guys are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.
Jan 13, 2007
309 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
johnwest wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 12:06 pm
I kept my old thermostat, but the guy said I had to give him any other one to take. I ended up giving him an old mechanical one I saved just for this purpose ;)

Interesting. I asked my installer if I could keep my relatively new programmable thermostat as well and give him an identical one which had a dead spot on the touch screen and he declined, saying that even though it's an identical model, he had to do it by the book. At least he was honest.