Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Economist -$12 for 12 weeks

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2017 3:00 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
1706 posts
354 upvotes

Economist -$12 for 12 weeks

Deal Link:
Price:
Noticed that the Economist has a promo not sure if its new, $12 for 12 weeks, not bad for a great magazine.

Includes:
Digital edition
Audio edition
The Economist Espresso daily
Online archive since 1997
Weekly print edition
Special issue: The World In 2018 distributed to all subscribers active in December 2017

Just remember to cancel otherwise you'll see a nice $55 charge to card.

https://subscription.economist.com/DA/P ... oC4ezw_wcB
22 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
wow, -$12 for the Economist, how do they make money?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
1706 posts
354 upvotes
terry890 wrote: US only
Really shows Canada at the top right when I click through.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12708 posts
6222 upvotes
terry890 wrote: US only
It's Canada also. Ordered about a month ago, started receiving a couple of weeks ago.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2189 posts
2897 upvotes
TORONTO
rb wrote: If you want just the weekly digital edition free get the zinio app
Really? How exactly? I tried on my ipad, still requires subscription money.
RACISM IS THE WORST VIRUS
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
7193 posts
1985 upvotes
hansdoreen wrote: Really? How exactly? I tried on my ipad, still requires subscription money.
Your local library must be affiliated to zinio, lot of big city libraries are, and you must have a library card. You then put your details into the app ( been ages since I did it but that was how it works)..got today's economist free
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Official publication of Rothschild. You'd think they'd give it away (they can afford it).
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
I went for the deal several weeks ago and I'm on the third week.

Just a warning for those curious: Despite its name, The Economist provides a digest on what's happening across the world, from an American perspective. They do well when explaining things that they're familiar with, like the American state of affairs, and economics. The special reports that they've become known for are also good.

The problem is that they have a slant against certain governments and entities, and it gets very clear if they don't know what they're talking about when you know just a little about the situation the Economist is reporting on, whether it be political, scientific, or technical.

They also go for really provoking and controversial front pages. E.g. this week it's "Why Israel needs a Palestianian state", and last week it was "Trumponomics: What it is, and why it is dangerous". I really don't like it when they basically descend to the level of a tabloid to advertise.

To be honest I had expected a more flexible stance and more nuanced explanation from a magazine such as this. I won't be continuing my subscription after the 12 weeks are over.
Aug 13, 2011
533 posts
178 upvotes
loserga wrote: I went for the deal several weeks ago and I'm on the third week.

Just a warning for those curious: Despite its name, The Economist provides a digest on what's happening across the world, from an America perspective. They do well when explaining things that they're familiar with, like the American state of affairs, and economics. The special reports that they've become known for are also good.

The problem is that they have a slant against certain governments and entities, and it's very clear if they don't know what they're talking about when you know just a little about the situation the Economist is reporting on, whether it be political, scientific, or technical.

They also go for really provoking and controversial front pages. E.g. this week it's "Why Israel needs a Palestianian state", and last week it was "Trumponomics: What it is, and why it is dangerous". I really don't like it when they basically descend to the level of a tabloid to advertise.

To be honest I had expected a more flexible stance and more nuanced explanation from a magazine such as this. I won't be continuing my subscription after the 12 weeks are over.
I too find it discomforting to read their biased analysis. Can I ask what you are planning to replace it with now?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
For me my main concern is cost. My second concern is the amount of time that I'd like to spend reading.

At some point I'd thought about getting copies of both The Economist and Jacobin just to get more perspective, but the Jacobin turns out to be extremely pricey for a single edition. I've also found that I can't finish reading a copy of The Economist before the next week's arrives.

I've also thought of falling back on a very time-consuming but almost fool-proof method, which is reading more good books about a diverse range of topics (borrowing books from the library is free!), then using my knowledge and reasoning to analyze newspaper articles. My reasoning is that if I know "The Way Things Work", then I will more easily pick up on what's reasonable and what's not.

As an aside, the quality of the comments in the comment section of The Economist's articles are surprisingly good. I don't know how their censor system operates, but it's comforting to see diverse and well-articulated opinions, even if they oppose the core of the article.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16698 posts
12474 upvotes
Markham
loserga wrote: For me my main concern is cost. My second concern is the amount of time that I'd like to spend reading.

At some point I'd thought about getting copies of both The Economist and Jacobin just to get more perspective, but the Jacobin turns out to be extremely pricey for a single edition. I've also found that I can't finish reading a copy of The Economist before the next week's arrives.

I've also thought of falling back on a very time-consuming but almost fool-proof method, which is reading more good books about a diverse range of topics (borrowing books from the library is free!), then using my knowledge and reasoning to analyze newspaper articles. My reasoning is that if I know "The Way Things Work", then I will more easily pick up on what's reasonable and what's not.

As an aside, the quality of the comments in the comment section of The Economist's articles are surprisingly good. I don't know how their censor system operates, but it's comforting to see diverse and well-articulated opinions, even if they oppose the core of the article.
Reading the economist is like read WSJ, you don't read every article, you read the one either you are interested or your business is impacted

But definitely cost increased a lot, I think last year in April, price is increased 50%
Apr 7, 2007
851 posts
474 upvotes
Calgary, AB
smartie wrote: Reading the economist is like read WSJ, you don't read every article, you read the one either you are interested or your business is impacted

But definitely cost increased a lot, I think last year in April, price is increased 50%
FWIW, Bill Gates reads this magazine.
Nov 25, 2015
185 posts
328 upvotes
Arva, ON
loserga wrote: Just a warning for those curious: Despite its name, The Economist provides a digest on what's happening across the world, from an American perspective. They do well when explaining things that they're familiar with, like the American state of affairs, and economics. The special reports that they've become known for are also good.
That's odd, considering it's a UK-based magazine. I've never noticed them to have an American-centric view of the world.
Jul 24, 2012
394 posts
50 upvotes
Can you cancel online or do you have to call in?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
6200cc wrote: That's odd, considering it's a UK-based magazine. I've never noticed them to have an American-centric view of the world.
You'd think that too but at least for all 3 weeks there's been far more information about American politics and industries than the British. References, statistics, and quotes often come from American-based authorities and figures.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
So it turns out that the 12 for 12 offer is a scam.

I'm still about 3 issues away from the end of the 12 weeks, and my credit card has already been charged an additional $62.

I sent an email to The Economist asking to cancel, but they replied saying that I needed to call in.

When I called in, they wouldn't refund the $62, saying that it's because I have a quarterly account (pretty bs as the advertisement said autorenewal after the end of the 12 weeks).

I closed my account immediately. Hopefully people will see this and not fall for their schemes again.
Sep 16, 2012
261 posts
296 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
hansdoreen wrote: Really? How exactly? I tried on my ipad, still requires subscription money.
i'm sure someone helped you already, if not, it's pretty straight forward for us (I see you're from toronto). just get a toronto library card, then go to tpl.ca, click on "downloads and ebooks", and then "zinio magazines". there are tons of magazines there, not just the economist.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32083 posts
15376 upvotes
Socially Distanced
loserga wrote: So it turns out that the 12 for 12 offer is a scam.

I'm still about 3 issues away from the end of the 12 weeks, and my credit card has already been charged an additional $62.

I sent an email to The Economist asking to cancel, but they replied saying that I needed to call in.

When I called in, they wouldn't refund the $62, saying that it's because I have a quarterly account (pretty bs as the advertisement said autorenewal after the end of the 12 weeks).

I closed my account immediately. Hopefully people will see this and not fall for their schemes again.
File a charge back with credit card company?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)