• Nov 21st, 2017 3:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1302 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto

Eddie Bauer brand / status

So I'm curious where this brand sits in the hearts and minds of Canadians.
I'm old enough to remember a time when it was regarded as premium quality brand. High down fill and well constructed products.
Then it sort of took a wrong turn trying to go more mainstream (calling themselves and using 'EB') and selling cheaper made stuff.

I stepped into a store for the first time in years.
Now they've gone back to using the script logo. Their lifetime guarantee on products sounds like a playbook taken right out of Land's End.
This sounds great given how quickly clothing wears out.
Of course mostly everything is still made in China.
What is your experience with Eddie Bauer?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2331 posts
1234 upvotes
blindemboss wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 10:35 am
So I'm curious where this brand sits in the hearts and minds of Canadians.
I'm old enough to remember a time when it was regarded as premium quality brand. High down fill and well constructed products.
Then it sort of took a wrong turn trying to go more mainstream (calling themselves and using 'EB') and selling cheaper made stuff.

I stepped into a store for the first time in years.
Now they've gone back to using the script logo. Their lifetime guarantee on products sounds like a playbook taken right out of Land's End.
This sounds great given how quickly clothing wears out.
Of course mostly everything is still made in China.
What is your experience with Eddie Bauer?
It's a high quality brand that most people tend to dismiss or maybe it's just easily forgettable. It's definitely not a prestigious brand.... it screams practicality. A lot of small businesses add their own company logo for to Eddie Bauer jackets/fleece sweaters and such, since the Eddie Bauer logo tends to be very small/not-noticeable on most of their clothing.

Personally, I have a few items from EB that I picked up, from one sale or another. Never had a problem with quality. At full price, you wouldn't find me shopping inside the store, but obviously, many customers don't mind paying full price for the quality they get.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6754 posts
975 upvotes
Is an older brand so like most, is hard to get the youngers to look ino it. However, if you want a good quaility winter jacket without paying CG prices, they are still tough to beat and still has the same lifetime warranty.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Dec 14, 2015
56 posts
9 upvotes
Unionville, ON
I want to like the brand but can't, the prices are ridicules, the sale price is about what they are really worth and they always have sales on which to me says something.
May 17, 2003
706 posts
644 upvotes
Mississauga
I’m of the age where in high school, Eddie Bauer was a desired brand and most kids either had an Eddie Bauer backpack or winter jacket. Despite having some history with the brand, I have no interest in their current lineup and haven’t set foot in their stores in ages. I can only imagine the challenge of enticing millenials into their stores today.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11023 posts
1522 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Eddie Bauer is like a "dad brand", like Wind River is at Marks Work Warehouse.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10038 posts
906 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Mid-level/mid-lower level brand. If you're looking for high quality stuff you can forget it. They've taken a dive for the worst. Temp ratings are completely false. First Ascent line is ok. Never buy retail, always wait for the big sales - black friday and boxing day where you get between 40-60% off. Non-First Ascent line are a joke. Cheap china made goods. Their quality have taken a negative dive. For example their Peak XV model was the shit. Peeps climbed Everest and traveled to the arctic/antarctic with this jacket. Quality has dived since about 2012/13. No longer offering 850 down, now only 800 and outer shell material not as durable. If you can afford better, skip Eddie Bauer, point blank. Not the same company they once were.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Jul 25, 2015
369 posts
153 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
The guy who helped design the Ascent line no longer works for EB.
Apr 17, 2013
782 posts
101 upvotes
Markham
I bought my Parka last year at discount. Prior to that, I can't remember the last time I walked into a EB store. I'm 35 and in highschool the backpacks lasted FOREVER.
PSN - Meditech82
Jan 7, 2017
137 posts
97 upvotes
Hamilton
If you need an affordable parka, I think they have the best value on the market when they're on sale (40% off right now). You really won't find ethical down at this price anywhere else, and for that alone, I commend them. For their actual performance stuff, I think you're better off with a company like Outdoor Research or Mountain Hard Wear because their quality just isn't there (very little insulation on the arms/shoulders etc).
Dec 16, 2015
713 posts
306 upvotes
Canada
My abercrombie down jacket is 2x better than this at half the price and way more stylish