Food & Drink

Eddie WokNRoll: found metal stripe in soup!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 7:03 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4639 posts
836 upvotes
Markham
kabyLake wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 6:39 am
Hey guys thanks for the reply. In the pics I've just put the metal piece on top of the soup to show what it was, but initially it was inside when my dad was eating it. I am not going to pursue anything because we run a family business ourselves and I believe in Karma so any bad thing they do it will come back to haunt them and I'm going to leave it as it is. But I will leave negative feedback about the restaurant so people can be aware of what happened to us and not eat there.

And I just want to say one thing, this is not made up because I was sitting in front of my dad when he was eating it and started choking. But hey everybody is subjected to their own opinions but just don't assume. Thanks and please close this thread!
Unfortunately lot of restaurants get calls from scammers who say stuff like this looking for compensation, free food etc. Not saying you were lying but you'd be surprised how often this happens.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 7:03 pm
Unfortunately lot of restaurants get calls from scammers who say stuff like this looking for compensation, free food etc. Not saying you were lying but you'd be surprised how often this happens.
That's very true, because we run a family business (spice mill) in Mississauga and we occasionally get those kind of customers. That's why I'm not going to pursue anything, not even a free soup. I just wished I had choked on that metal strip when I was eating at the restaurant (the story would have been different right?)
Nov 23, 2008
303 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
kabyLake wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:28 am
That's very true, because we run a family business (spice mill) in Mississauga and we occasionally get those kind of customers. That's why I'm not going to pursue anything, not even a free soup. I just wished I had choked on that metal strip when I was eating at the restaurant (the story would have been different right?)
Even if it was in the restaurant, burden of proof would still be on you.

What a messed up way of thinking. Wouldn't it be better to wish that there wasn't a metal strip in the soup at all?
[OP]
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
Zewo wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 1:57 pm
Even if it was in the restaurant, burden of proof would still be on you.

What a messed up way of thinking. Wouldn't it be better to wish that there wasn't a metal strip in the soup at all?
Yea buddy I wish there wasn't but then again there was, and I know for a fact that this is not made up. So tell me, what would you have done if you found this piece in your soup while you were eating it? Let me guess, you would have took that piece out and put it aside, and continued eating? Correct? Think before you type please and thank you sir.
Nov 23, 2008
303 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
kabyLake wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 2:52 pm
Yea buddy I wish there wasn't but then again there was, and I know for a fact that this is not made up. So tell me, what would you have done if you found this piece in your soup while you were eating it? Let me guess, you would have took that piece out and put it aside, and continued eating? Correct? Think before you type please and thank you sir.
If I were eating there and found it in my soup, I'd let them know obviously. If someone was eating with me and they choked on the metal piece, I'd be more pissed, and probably look to get the entire meal comp'd.

Would my first instinct be to seek a lawyer for advice? Definitely not. Would I be as greedy as you, looking to profit ($100 debit card? Did your meal cost this much?) off this? Definitely not.

Something bad happened to your family, and it sucks, but they tried to reimburse you and you're coming off like you just hit some jackpot.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
3808 posts
530 upvotes
Regina
maybe they thought you were into heavy metal
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36766 posts
2592 upvotes
Toronto
kabyLake wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 2:52 pm
NAh... We all would be pissed.

ONce... a Waiter spilled a beer on me.
I told my girl "I'm only gonna have 1 drink.". It smelled like I had 20 with beer soaked pants that dried up and cured within the 2 hour I was there. lol.
It was an awkward conversation... So that mistake did have implications. I always thought it was industry standard to offer to cover your dry cleaning bill.

They only offered 1/2 price off the drink they spilled . . .

I sent a politely worded email to the manager explaining the situation (no anger). They sent me a $20 gift card. Enough to cover my next 3 pints. On top they told me bring a dry cleaning bill & they would compensate. They also mentioned they would speak to their staff about procedures incase of a mistake like this happening again.

If they again offered me just 1 free drink... I would put my bad experience on yelp.

You could report them to public health. It is a public health issue if their food storage and cleaning practices aren't proper. So next time they get inspected, they'll make sure the food is stored properly and their equipment is in good condition. IT could be a mixer or tools in poor condition with frayed edges or something like that. Or food being left out uncovered.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 6:24 pm
NAh... We all would be pissed.

ONce... a Waiter spilled a beer on me.
I told my girl "I'm only gonna have 1 drink.". It smelled like I had 20 with beer soaked pants that dried up and cured within the 2 hour I was there. lol.
It was an awkward conversation... So that mistake did have implications. I always thought it was industry standard to offer to cover your dry cleaning bill.

They only offered 1/2 price off the drink they spilled . . .

I sent a politely worded email to the manager explaining the situation (no anger). They sent me a $20 gift card. Enough to cover my next 3 pints. On top they told me bring a dry cleaning bill & they would compensate. They also mentioned they would speak to their staff about procedures incase of a mistake like this happening again.

If they again offered me just 1 free drink... I would put my bad experience on yelp.

You could report them to public health. It is a public health issue if their food storage and cleaning practices aren't proper. So next time they get inspected, they'll make sure the food is stored properly and their equipment is in good condition. IT could be a mixer or tools in poor condition with frayed edges or something like that. Or food being left out uncovered.
LOL At least you got a $20 gift card, the manager never replied to my email at all! When I called all they could offer was a free soup which was not worth my time to travel back and forth for. To make it worse, while I was explaining what I found in the soup to him, you know what he tells me, "..If it's a cleaning metal scrub pieces, then it's normal because we use those to clean our dishes and sometimes you'll have the occasional bits and pieces in the food"

But whatever, I left it as it is, and I just wanted to ask RFD'ers experience dealing with this type of issues because I've never had this happened to me at any restaurant. Thank God my dad's alright, or else they'd have a piece of my mind!
Jun 4, 2006
417 posts
46 upvotes
GTA
I don't think you're going to get much from them.

Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3849 posts
547 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Take them to small claims for "emotional distress" and "insufferable trauma" of the thought of what could/may/would have happened but didnt.