• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2019 2:53 pm
Aug 8, 2013
164 posts
114 upvotes
Ottawa
Ridinginoffice7 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 1:47 am
That should work..i currently use Edifier 980T's in same way attached with two subwoofer's, one active and one passive.... did you read of my home theater setup idea in the previous threads on this port.... i listed step by step what i have done... Check my post on Page 5 regarding how i extended Edifier's with two Subs
Yes and the post to the other person where you mentioned a passive Subwoofer. As I have an active sub right now I wanted to know if I could skip buying a new one. Your post also mentioned different Edifier Speakers so I wasn't sure if it was going to work out and asked a new question instead.
Aug 30, 2015
376 posts
122 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Jaytee wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 12:14 am

I had no problems controlling volume with my Pixel 3. Strange your friend had this issue.

That said, these speakers are great for $62. At $100+ they are nothing special but for $62, I can imagine very much comparable especially with BT support.
I have a similar problem. Volume control is not granular at all. It does have many volume steps by in reality is like having only 3 settings : very quiet, very loud and max

Pixel 2 here
Feb 9, 2011
523 posts
100 upvotes
pca1987 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 6:00 am
I have a similar problem. Volume control is not granular at all. It does have many volume steps by in reality is like having only 3 settings : very quiet, very loud and max

Pixel 2 here
Using a IPhone 8+ and no issue with volume control from phone.
Feb 9, 2011
523 posts
100 upvotes
bel4_20 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 5:51 pm
Anyone know if these would make good speakers for a covered porch in my backyard?
They would make great outdoor deck speakers if protected. Rmbr their made of MDF, so have to keep them dry. Only issue is, that you’ll have to have some kind of access to the back of the master speaker to once in a while to press in the volume button to Bluetooth sync your phone.
Jan 5, 2007
260 posts
101 upvotes
I've been thinking about getting this since the day it was posted and I'm still on the fence. Already have a Bose SoundLink Mini and Edifier MP700 - both portable and already much better sound than the <$50 BT speakers I have just taking up space. Portability is nice but the speakers that I use don't get moved around much.

Should I go for the R1010BTs?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2004
5617 posts
133 upvotes
Woodbridge
Dex wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 11:20 am
I've been thinking about getting this since the day it was posted and I'm still on the fence. Already have a Bose SoundLink Mini and Edifier MP700 - both portable and already much better sound than the <$50 BT speakers I have just taking up space. Portability is nice but the speakers that I use don't get moved around much.

It's a no brainer
I used to be indecisive. Now i'm not so sure.
Jan 5, 2007
260 posts
101 upvotes
SergesPlace wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 11:27 am
It's a no brainer
Ordered. These should be a cheap route to upgrade sound as I am used to portable speakers. Thanks!
Mar 29, 2013
80 posts
54 upvotes
Surrey
SergesPlace wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 11:27 am
It's a no brainer
that's what I did, bought a set of R1010bts for home use only and used my edifier mp700 for going out.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8608 posts
1662 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Wallzii wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 1:11 am
I'd say the inherent loss of audio quality in your $30 wireless Bluetooth earbuds is more due to the earbud drivers themselves than the codec being used to encapsulate the audio stream.

That said, yes aptX is clearly a better codec than SBC (the standard audio codec for Bluetooth), but it definitely isn't lossless. SBC allows for a transfer rate of 320kbps, aptX 352kbps (compressed 48 kHz / 16 bit LCPM), and aptX-HD 576kbps (compressed 48 kHz / 24 bit LCPM). What is best for you depends entirely on your use case and equipment setup. If the device you'll be streaming your audio from doesn't support aptX or aptX-HD, those codecs are useless to you at the other end.

On the same notion, if your primarily streaming MP3s, AACs, or using Spotify, the difference between aptX and SBC might be nonexistent, especially on speakers in the price range we're talking about here.

If you're talking about using an actual lossless source, I'm not sure you're going to want to go Bluetooth in the first place, regardless of the codec. That, and you're definitely going to want better speakers.
apt-X is a lot of marketing, it's not always better than SBC

Also, those who are using LineageOS, there has been very recent commits to add support for SBC Dual-Channel/"HD" and increased bitrate that allows higher quality than apt-X and is on par with apt-X HD
https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageO ... t/+/229575

Update your nightly build, enable root shell/abd shell to issue these commands:
su
persist.bt.sbc_hd_enabled 1 (With the latest commits, looks like it can be enabled per BT device + dev menu, updating as we speak and will report back)
setprop persist.bt.sbc_hd_higher_kbps 1

Compatibility is YMMV with these options
Explicit SBC Dual Channel (SBC HD) support

Overwhelming majority of Bluetooth audio devices have SBC maximum bitpool value
limited to 53, which prevents bitrates higher than 328 kbit/s to be used with
the most common 44.1 kHz Joint Stereo, 8 subbands, 16 blocks profile. This
limitation could be circumvented on any existing device to achieve higher audio
quality, by using Dual Channel mode.
Dual Channel encodes channels separately, using the entire bitpool for each
channel. Forcing the device to use Dual Channel instead of Joint Stereo almost
doubles maximum possible bitrate for the same bitpool value.

A2DP specification v1.2, which was active from 2007 to 2015, requires all
decoders to work correctly with bitrates up to 512 kbps. Newer specification
does not have the limit at all. It is assumed that most modern headphones with
EDR support can handle any SBC profile with maximum bitpool value, regardless
of resulting bitrate.

This commit defines optimal Dual Channel bitrate profiles:
EDR 2mbit/s - 452 kbit/s for 44.1 kHz, 492 kbit/s for 48 kHz (bitpool 38,
4 audio frames, 10.7 ms, 6 wasted bytes per packet)
EDR 3mbit/s - 551.3 kbit/s for 44.1 kHz, 600 kbit/s for 48 kHz (bitpool 47,
5 audio frames, 13.4 ms, 4 wasted bytes per packet)

With 452 kbit/s, SBC outperforms aptX, with 551.3 kbit/s, on par or close to
aptX HD.

SBC HD is disabled by default and should be activated by setting
"persist.bt.sbc_hd_enabled" property:
$ setprop persist.bt.sbc_hd_enabled 1

Bitrate could be increased further with "persist.bt.sbc_hd_higher_kbps"
property. If the property is set, the following EDR 2mbit/s profile is used:
595.4 kbit/s for 44.1 kHz, 648 kbit/s for 48 kHz (bitpool 51, 3 audio frames,
8.8 ms, 14 wasted bytes per packet)

53 out of 57 tested headphones, receivers and automotive head units were able
to correctly receive and decode high bitrate Dual Channel audio.

Test: manual, with various headphones, receivers, and speakers
More info
https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... y-t3832615
Last edited by Daijoubu on Apr 12th, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Penalty Box
Oct 18, 2018
567 posts
224 upvotes
Dex wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 11:20 am

Yes...please buy, even I have 980T's, 1280T's , this deal was tough to pass on...I still need to figure out how and where I am going to place them as these are extra's for me, coz these are bluetooth, that makes this deal super Hot as one can find many ways to use it....also getting those 4 inch subwoofers and that sexy look... my intention is to research more and buy a external Dolby Atmos Amplifier in future..if I have money and I find some good deal...I will have a range of edifiers that time to help me with a Dolby Surround Sound Setup...I need help and guidance with anyone if they have any ideas
Penalty Box
Oct 18, 2018
567 posts
224 upvotes
I ordered mine yesterday, still no movement from Amazon , says Arriving 23 Apr - 1 May , probably back ordered..
Penalty Box
Oct 18, 2018
567 posts
224 upvotes
I am researching to invest in a Dolby Atmos receiver and have a 6.1Channel setup as shown below in the image, i need help and guidance on How to achieve this setup using the active Edifier speakers
Images
  • A8DBEC54-DFF6-43BC-A1A6-D783A5F7107E.jpeg
Oct 5, 2015
11 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I purchased these through Amazon and they came in 2 days without Prime via Canada Post.

My phone does not control the volume over bluetooth, although my phone runs on BB10, so it doesn't do much Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

I can't say I'm too impressed, the bass is sort of boomy and not very clear, and the mids/highs are sort of lacking. But for the price, they sound alright. I can't really complain. I mean, I can complain, and just did. But shouldn't complain too much. What can you expect for $62.50? It doesn't look like I got charged PST either.

If you're looking to save money or step up from portable speakers or cheap computer speakers, go for it. If you're hoping for good sound quality, you might want to increase your budget.
Jul 17, 2012
499 posts
185 upvotes
Kamloops
paying 60 bucks for bluetooth relative large speakers, of course there will be little problems such as cheap volume pot used, possible connectivity issue. etc. if i get this i would use the RCA port through a dac to get the best sound.
Mar 19, 2007
191 posts
18 upvotes
got mine in the mail today. hopeing to attach an amazon echo dot to it with the 3.5mm jack and perhaps bluetooth with an iphoner. fingas crossed its not too bad doing both