[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10786 posts
1326 upvotes
Edmonton
hugh_da_man wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 10:50 am
Why would you need to keep his arrival date in Canada quiet to investigate any of that?
If he had contact with others who may have shared the same views that may be more difficult to track down? Speculation but the best reason I can surmise. Investigation details will hopefully clarify.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
6762 posts
239 upvotes
blainehamilton wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 10:57 am
If he had contact with others who may have shared the same views that may be more difficult to track down? Speculation but the best reason I can surmise. Investigation details will hopefully clarify.
Yeah but his name is out there so anyone who had contact with him knows he did it and that the police will be looking for them. Releasing his arrival date doesn't tip anyone off to anything.

I think the fact that they aren't telling us about his original arrival date has more to do with the people walking into Quebec than it does with the Edmonton terror investigation.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10786 posts
1326 upvotes
Edmonton
bionicbadger wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 10:56 am
Is possession of an ISIL flag illegal? what is the law?
As far as I can tell via quick Google it is perfectly legal to own an isil or Isis flag. However having one in your passenger seat while running a police roadblock, running down and stabbing a police officer, and going on a pedestrian targeting police chase later on may put you under additional scrutiny as a suspected terrorist...
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30987 posts
7679 upvotes
GTHA
blainehamilton wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 10:54 am
No updates from eps regarding the next news conference or media release.
Breaking news

Terrorism charges laid against Somali refugee in Edmonton attacks
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.4316450

Edmonton police and RCMP are expected to provide an update on their investigation Monday morning. Investigators are holding a news conference at 11 a.m. inside the Edmonton's downtown police headquarters.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10786 posts
1326 upvotes
Edmonton
Next eps news conference is 11am mst.

I hope they uncover how he got the uhaul. Considering they identified him from the registration after the initial attack nearby I suspect he previously rented and stashed the vehicle nearby as a getaway or secondary attack vehicle.

This could have been A LOT worse if something as simple as a homemade gasoline incendiary device was stored in the back of that truck.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
6762 posts
239 upvotes
I think the biggest hero in all of this is EPS. The first officer who prevented the terrorist from getting his gun and the police that engaged in the high speed chase that resulted in the uhaul flipping. Those uhauls are garbage and the cops likely knew he couldn't navigate corners well at high speeds. I know some people who were in the area and if the cops hadn't engaged him he could have easily injured hundreds.

It was disappointing to see no one help the officer in the surveillance video that was released. Several people just stand around as a person attacks a member of the EPS. That's sad to see.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18841 posts
2067 upvotes
Montreal
hugh_da_man wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 11:00 am
Yeah but his name is out there so anyone who had contact with him knows he did it and that the police will be looking for them. Releasing his arrival date doesn't tip anyone off to anything.

I think the fact that they aren't telling us about his original arrival date has more to do with the people walking into Quebec than it does with the Edmonton terror investigation.
Wasn't his arrival date stated as being in 2015, i.e. preceding the current wave?

Furthermore if he has been granted refugee status, it means he did not arrive via the US since those claims are usually denied.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
6762 posts
239 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 11:18 am
Wasn't his arrival date stated as being in 2015, i.e. preceding the current wave?
I don't think so, I think that 2015 was when he was investigated by the police for espousing extremist views. He definitely preceded the current wave but illegal migrants have been walking across the border for decades. It's just gotten a lot more media attention lately due to the large numbers in short amounts of time and Trump.

mr_raider wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 11:18 am
Furthermore if he has been granted refugee status, it means he did not arrive via the US since those claims are usually denied.
That's not true at all. People who enter illegally are given the same chances as people who arrive on visitor visas. The only people who will have a hard time are those that cross into Canada from the US at an official border crossing.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1684 posts
76 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 11:17 am
I think the biggest hero in all of this is EPS. The first officer who prevented the terrorist from getting his gun and the police that engaged in the high speed chase that resulted in the uhaul flipping. Those uhauls are garbage and the cops likely knew he couldn't navigate corners well at high speeds. I know some people who were in the area and if the cops hadn't engaged him he could have easily injured hundreds.

It was disappointing to see no one help the officer in the surveillance video that was released. Several people just stand around as a person attacks a member of the EPS. That's sad to see.
What were people supposed to do. The one guy in the video started forward to help and backed off when the stabbing started.
I can't fault him for that.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18841 posts
2067 upvotes
Montreal
hugh_da_man wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 11:31 am
I don't think so, I think that 2015 was when he was investigated by the police for espousing extremist views. He definitely preceded the current wave but illegal migrants have been walking across the border for decades. It's just gotten a lot more media attention lately due to the large numbers in short amounts of time and Trump.

That's not true at all. People who enter illegally are given the same chances as people who arrive on visitor visas. The only people who will have a hard time are those that cross into Canada from the US at an official border crossing.
You sure about that? They are allowed to make a claim, but I'd they came from another safe country they are denied and instructed to go make a claim in the country they transited through.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
1543 posts
211 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 11:44 am
You sure about that? They are allowed to make a claim, but I'd they came from another safe country they are denied and instructed to go make a claim in the country they transited through.
That's probably the law, but who knows how it's enforced. They probably politely ask him to go back to where he came from at his earliest convenience and wait for his application to be completed. Do they even track people scheduled for deportation? They could be sending back all of these recent "refugees" as well because of the Safe 3rd Country Agreement, but they prefer to be the beacon of hope and light in the world and house, feed, clothe and pay them while they await processing illegally.
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
121 upvotes
Logtown
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 12:03 pm
That's probably the law, but who knows how it's enforced. They probably politely ask him to go back to where he came from at his earliest convenience and wait for his application to be completed. Do they even track people scheduled for deportation? They could be sending back all of these recent "refugees" as well because of the Safe 3rd Country Agreement, but they prefer to be the beacon of hope and light in the world and house, feed, clothe and pay them while they await processing illegally.
I think its time the rest of the country starts taking this seriously even if JT doesn't.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30987 posts
7679 upvotes
GTHA
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 12:03 pm
This has been discussed in multiple threads.

The Safe Third Country Agreement applies only to refugee claimants who are seeking entry to Canada from the U.S.:
- at Canada-U.S. land border crossings
- by train or
- at airports, only if the person seeking refugee protection in Canada has been refused refugee status in the U.S. and is in transit through Canada after being deported from the U.S.

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department ... ethird.asp
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18841 posts
2067 upvotes
Montreal
tk1000 wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 12:09 pm
This has been discussed in multiple threads.

The Safe Third Country Agreement applies only to refugee claimants who are seeking entry to Canada from the U.S.:
- at Canada-U.S. land border crossings
- by train or
- at airports, only if the person seeking refugee protection in Canada has been refused refugee status in the U.S. and is in transit through Canada after being deported from the U.S.

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department ... ethird.asp
Yeah but generally if you transited through the us or a European country and waited to get to Canada to make a claim, the immigration judge would usually rule that you do not have a legitimate fear for your safety since you found the time to shop for your choice of asylum destination.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30987 posts
7679 upvotes
GTHA
mr_raider wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 12:21 pm
Yeah but generally if you transited through the us or a European country and waited to get to Canada to make a claim, the immigration judge would usually rule that you do not have a legitimate fear for your safety since you found the time to shop for your choice of asylum destination.
Rejected asylum seekers risk being being sent back to the countries they fled.

If eligible, the claimant’s file is referred to the Immigration and Refugee Board; if the application is ineligible, the person “may be removed from Canada to their country of citizenship,” a spokesperson with the CBSA said.

from https://globalnews.ca/news/3268281/asyl ... tizenship/