Off Topic

Edmonton Terror Attack Info *No debate just info*

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 8:26 pm
Penalty Box
Aug 21, 2008
546 posts
45 upvotes
Ottawa
tk1000 wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 12:33 pm
Rejected asylum seekers risk being being sent back to the countries they fled.

If eligible, the claimant’s file is referred to the Immigration and Refugee Board; if the application is ineligible, the person “may be removed from Canada to their country of citizenship,” a spokesperson with the CBSA said.

from https://globalnews.ca/news/3268281/asyl ... tizenship/
They need to change that from "may be" to will be.
Sr. Member
Jun 5, 2015
919 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What happen to “no debate just info”? Lol
Just kidding , I knew it wouldn’t stick
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
6661 posts
239 upvotes
Kaz wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 11:31 am
What were people supposed to do. The one guy in the video started forward to help and backed off when the stabbing started.
I can't fault him for that.
Help? People walked away at the beginning of the video and the guy near the end doesn't pull out a phone to call or anything he just stands there. I'm not saying you have to wrestle the terrorist but do something, no?

mr_raider wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 11:44 am
You sure about that? They are allowed to make a claim, but I'd they came from another safe country they are denied and instructed to go make a claim in the country they transited through.
That's usually how it works, you're allowed to make a claim and the safe third country agreement isn't applied because you didn't cross at an official border crossing. That's why people are being told by to walk across the border because the safe 3rd country agreement doesn't apply. A judge may consider the fact that they entered illegally from the US but as far as I know they don't have to and in most cases the fact that you entered the country illegally can't be used against you if you claim asylum.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1659 posts
75 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 12:58 pm
Help? People walked away at the beginning of the video and the guy near the end doesn't pull out a phone to call or anything he just stands there. I'm not saying you have to wrestle the terrorist but do something, no?




That's usually how it works, you're allowed to make a claim and the safe third country agreement isn't applied because you didn't cross at an official border crossing. That's why people are being told by to walk across the border because the safe 3rd country agreement doesn't apply. A judge may consider the fact that they entered illegally from the US but as far as I know they don't have to and in most cases the fact that you entered the country illegally can't be used against you if you claim asylum.
I would guess the bystander is in shock and froze up.
And at the end of 2016 there were over 40,000 outstanding deportation orders.
They have no idea where those people are.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18522 posts
2044 upvotes
Montreal
hugh_da_man wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 12:58 pm




That's usually how it works, you're allowed to make a claim and the safe third country agreement isn't applied because you didn't cross at an official border crossing. That's why people are being told by to walk across the border because the safe 3rd country agreement doesn't apply. A judge may consider the fact that they entered illegally from the US but as far as I know they don't have to and in most cases the fact that you entered the country illegally can't be used against you if you claim asylum.
yes. But the fact that you omitted to make a claim in a previous country where you had the opportunity is viewed negatively by immigration officers since it calls into question the legitimacy and "well foundedness" of your fear of persecution. The question is simple, "if you were so intent on fleeing your country, why not make a claim as soon as you arrived in X country?"

My mom worked for immigration for 2 decades and she told me judges took a dim view of economic migrants shopping for the best destination, vs real refugees. They were also pretty good at sniffing out BS.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1085 posts
229 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Another refugee, NICe JOB, Trudeau
Dump Liberal ! June 2018 !!
Do Trudeau in 2019
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18522 posts
2044 upvotes
Montreal
napoleonbot wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 2:24 pm
Another refugee, NICe JOB, Trudeau
Who was PM when this guy was accepted?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 30, 2010
1489 posts
188 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 2:12 pm
yes. But the fact that you omitted to make a claim in a previous country where you had the opportunity is viewed negatively by immigration officers since it calls into question the legitimacy and "well foundedness" of your fear of persecution. The question is simple, "if you were so intent on fleeing your country, why not make a claim as soon as you arrived in X country?"

My mom worked for immigration for 2 decades and she told me judges took a dim view of economic migrants shopping for the best destination, vs real refugees. They were also pretty good at sniffing out BS.
I helped sponsor a family of Tutsis from Rwanda during the Hutu genocide, and getting their refugee application approved was definitely not easy. A lot of refugees may show up here, but the ones that actually get status here is a different story.

This is one of the many things that piss me off about JT; all his twitter virtue signalling for refugees when the reality is that most of them will be rejected, then refuse to leave, then hit the black market or crime, etc. JT doesn't approve refugee applications, yet that tool is happy to invite anyone and everyone to walk over here and give it a shot.
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
121 upvotes
Logtown
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 2:31 pm
I helped sponsor a family of Tutsis from Rwanda during the Hutu genocide, and getting their refugee application approved was definitely not easy. A lot of refugees may show up here, but the ones that actually get status here is a different story.

This is one of the many things that piss me off about JT; all his twitter virtue signalling for refugees when the reality is that most of them will be rejected, then refuse to leave, then hit the black market or crime, etc. JT doesn't approve refugee applications, yet that tool is happy to invite anyone and everyone to walk over here and give it a shot.
He has a lot of fans that are okay with this too.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18522 posts
2044 upvotes
Montreal
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 2:31 pm
I helped sponsor a family of Tutsis from Rwanda during the Hutu genocide, and getting their refugee application approved was definitely not easy. A lot of refugees may show up here, but the ones that actually get status here is a different story.

This is one of the many things that piss me off about JT; all his twitter virtue signalling for refugees when the reality is that most of them will be rejected, then refuse to leave, then hit the black market or crime, etc. JT doesn't approve refugee applications, yet that tool is happy to invite anyone and everyone to walk over here and give it a shot.
My mom worked for teh IRB back in the 80s and 90s. I don't know if standards have drifted, but back then background checking was much tougher, i.e. no internet. They used to rely mostly on exposing inconsistencies in the narrative.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
6661 posts
239 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 2:12 pm
yes. But the fact that you omitted to make a claim in a previous country where you had the opportunity is viewed negatively by immigration officers since it calls into question the legitimacy and "well foundedness" of your fear of persecution. The question is simple, "if you were so intent on fleeing your country, why not make a claim as soon as you arrived in X country?"
I've heard differently but my sources are biased against the Liberals and so they may be exaggerating things. What I've heard is that they don't consider things like the route that people took to get to Canada and instead focus on the legitimacy of their claim. That may be wrong but the fact that the Liberal government was telling Haitians that 50% of them could have their claims denied means that something like 50% would be accepted and thus traveling through the US isn't necessarily hurting their claims.

That being said, we have no idea how this guy got to Canada. I just disagreed with your claim that he obviously didn't walk across the border due to his successful refugee claim. I don't think we have anyway of knowing how he got here based on what we know right now.

mr_raider wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 2:12 pm
My mom worked for immigration for 2 decades and she told me judges took a dim view of economic migrants shopping for the best destination, vs real refugees. They were also pretty good at sniffing out BS.
The safe third country agreement was brought in back in 2004. It's my understanding that the agreement changed how Canada approached these decisions.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2017
319 posts
58 upvotes
Wow this thread got clean-up. It is now politically correct certified and a safe zone for whoever needs it. Thanks moderators!
Justin Trudeau - bankrupting Canada since 2015. And M103 my ass.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1659 posts
75 upvotes
This guy was ordered deported from the US in 2011.
Why was he allowed into Canada and why was he allowed to stay?
Our immigration and /asylum system needs a revamp.

Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 7, 2007
9941 posts
830 upvotes
blainehamilton wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 2:02 am
Just heard on the radio this evening that the accused was actually ordered deported from the US in 2011 but could not be located and fled to Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.4319245
so... someone who were supposed to be deported by US government, decided to run for the border here and then accepted by our govenment.

Well.. at least now with new government under JT... we plugged that hole.... OH WAIT A SECOND

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)