Off Topic

Edmonton Terror Attack Info *No debate just info*

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 8:26 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
7070 posts
240 upvotes
During an event in Brampton, Ont., Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen confirmed Sharif entered at an official port of entry, went through the "regular process" and was granted refugee status later that year. He declined to provide any more details, citing an "active, ongoing investigation."

He stressed that decisions on whether to grant asylum are not made by the government but by the arms' length, independent Immigration and Refugee Board.

"That board is the one that is responsible for determining the merits of each and every case when it comes to asylum claims," he said.
Scary!
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1691 posts
76 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 2:21 pm
Scary!
Time to look into the buerocrats on these boards.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
7070 posts
240 upvotes
Kaz wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 2:34 pm
Time to look into the buerocrats on these boards.
Time to create a system that isn't compromised by the biases of unelected individuals.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
16405 posts
565 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 12:30 pm
I doubt any country really cares about the "exit" side of the borders (if that makes sense).
Actually! Ever been to Asia? You have to go through passport control/emigration when leaving the country in addition to entering the country.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19565 posts
2153 upvotes
Montreal
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 12:30 pm
I doubt any country really cares about the "exit" side of the borders (if that makes sense). They know that the stream of border-crossers between Canada and the US is minimal, so they likely don't care about a few stragglers that make it through. I'd support a wall though.

That's the issue. Canadian law enforcement can't intercept them on the US side. Once in Canada, they benefit from the usual protections of the law including the right to a hearing. The US has the same issue with Cubans and the dry foot/wet foot policy, but they can actively patrol the waters around Florida to try and turn back the boats.

And let's not kid ourselves, having people cross into Canada solves a problem for the US, at very low cost to them. They have no incentive to police their Northern border

the best solution, IMHO, is to let deported Canadian claimants cross back illegally into the US. That would bring the US to the negotiation table fast.
Except boohoo illegals have feelings too and all that garbage.
I have seen no evidence this guy was "illegal". He made a claim in the US, and was rejected. I'm betting he left the US before the deportation was executed. He complied with the decision by leaving the US voluntarily and presented himself at the port of entry in Canada and filed a claim. Since he was rejected once in the US, the safe 3rd country agreement no longer applies, as long as he is not in transit for the deportation. By all accounts, he received excellent legal advise.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19565 posts
2153 upvotes
Montreal
hugh_da_man wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 2:48 pm
Time to create a system that isn't compromised by the biases of unelected individuals.
Do you want elected officials as CIC judges?

But point taken, immigration judges aren't actually judges. They are career civil servants.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2807 posts
289 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Would suggest OP to put all the info in the first post and change the title to let people know where to look.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
7070 posts
240 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 3:57 pm
Do you want elected officials as CIC judges?

But point taken, immigration judges aren't actually judges. They are career civil servants.
You could probably achieve better results with technology. Feed the applications into an algorithm that makes the decision based on the criteria set by the minister's office. No emotion, no feelings, just decisions based on facts.

Are there even immigration judges for asylum claims? I thought the final decision was done by a committee after reviewing the findings of case workers.

The thing I found scary was that the terrorist entered through a legal border crossing and then the minister threw some unnamed board under the bus rather than have his department accept any blame.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19565 posts
2153 upvotes
Montreal
hugh_da_man wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 4:52 pm
You could probably achieve better results with technology. Feed the applications into an algorithm that makes the decision based on the criteria set by the minister's office. No emotion, no feelings, just decisions based on facts.

Are there even immigration judges for asylum claims? I thought the final decision was done by a committee after reviewing the findings of case workers.

The thing I found scary was that the terrorist entered through a legal border crossing and then the minister threw some unnamed board under the bus rather than have his department accept any blame.
Normally there is an officer of the IRB (immigration refugee board). For appeals, there are (or were in the 90s) three judges. Most of the work they do is seeing if they fulfill the criteria of a convention refugee, and whether the story the claimant says is BS. Normally, they operate separate from teh Minister's office and are independent (in theory).

Note that the Minister of Immigration, or Minister of Public Safety can send a reprensentative to the hearing or send a statement if they have relevant concerns or findings. So the govt can present evidence against the claimant if they have any info. Simply put, if someone is a suspected criminal, the claim can be rejected very quickly. The govt, the RCMP or CIC have no excuse. There is ample procedure to block a claim.

http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/Eng/RefClaDem ... c340245827
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
4263 posts
443 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 2:54 pm
Actually! Ever been to Asia? You have to go through passport control/emigration when leaving the country in addition to entering the country.
did I miss something? is Asia a country now?
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
16405 posts
565 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Kingmoo wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 6:33 pm
did I miss something? is Asia a country now?
Obvs I meant many countries within
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17792 posts
1437 upvotes
Niagara Falls
hugh_da_man wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 2:21 pm
Scary!
Why is it scary that these decisions are made by an independent Immigration and Refugee Board?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
7070 posts
240 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 4:52 pm

Evil Baby wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 7:58 pm
Why is it scary that these decisions are made by an independent Immigration and Refugee Board?