• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2012 2:07 pm
Dec 1, 2011
100 posts
16 upvotes
DARTMOUTH

EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens

Hello all.

I am looking into different gift ideas for my girlfriend and she has always been involved in the arts. Last year she purchased a Canon Rebel T3i with whichever standard lens it came with. I was brainstorming and started looking at different camera lenses to purchase and didn't realize how insanely expensive they are. Some cost 3 times the price of the camera bundle itself which I just find mind boggling. I tried to find the one that I think she would get the best use out of which would be macro or portrait. She definitely loves taking photos of people but at the same time she has a fascination with miniatures and the smaller things so I thought a macro would be nice (currently where I'm sitting).

For the camera people:
-How much difference does a better lens make opposed to the 8-50mm one it came with?
-Would I be better investing in light equipment?
-What's the cheapest you have seen the "EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens", currently it's at $389 at bhphotovideo and I could probably get BestBuy to price match.

Any information for the uninformed is most welcome because out of all electronics I think cameras are where I know nothing.

Thanks in advance guys! You have always been an amazing community (I'm a lurker that is slowly coming out)
12 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
2441 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto
Stryker14 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2012 12:41 am
Hello all.

I am looking into different gift ideas for my girlfriend and she has always been involved in the arts. Last year she purchased a Canon Rebel T3i with whichever standard lens it came with. I was brainstorming and started looking at different camera lenses to purchase and didn't realize how insanely expensive they are. Some cost 3 times the price of the camera bundle itself which I just find mind boggling. I tried to find the one that I think she would get the best use out of which would be macro or portrait. She definitely loves taking photos of people but at the same time she has a fascination with miniatures and the smaller things so I thought a macro would be nice (currently where I'm sitting).

For the camera people:
-How much difference does a better lens make opposed to the 8-50mm one it came with?
-Would I be better investing in light equipment?
-What's the cheapest you have seen the "EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens", currently it's at $389 at bhphotovideo and I could probably get BestBuy to price match.

Any information for the uninformed is most welcome because out of all electronics I think cameras are where I know nothing.

Thanks in advance guys! You have always been an amazing community (I'm a lurker that is slowly coming out)
1. lenses are the #1 most important investment to a set of photography equipment
2. bestbuy doesnt price match US retailers...
3. keep in mind lenses rarely go on sale for a lot, just because companies sell camera for cheap just so they can earn money back from people needing to buy expensive lenses
4. cheapest way to find a lens is buy them used, you can find one for $300-350 (tax included), but I dont think thats a good option for you, unless maybe you go with her
5. I would recommend getting a Tamron 90mm f2.8 instead (about the same price). at 90mm, its a better portrait length
6, and probably the most important: If you can confirm that 18-55mm kit lens is THE ONLY lens she has, then she 100% absolutely need a Canon 50mm f1.8 lens. There is no other lens she needs more than that lens. and @ $120, its a fairly reasonable investment as well:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/can ... 93877den02
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1446 posts
541 upvotes
Given she is a beginner DSLR shooter, it's probably too early to invest too much in quality glass. The usual advice is to go with a "beginners holy trinity" - the kit lens (18-55 IS), "portrait lens" (Canon 50mm f1.8, ~100$), and telephoto (Canon 55-250 IS, ~200$ - there is a thread here about a good deal at amazon.ca). In addition, having a decent flash (with rotating head) is a must for quality photography - something like Canon 430 EX (can be found for less than 300$ when on sale). To do macro for cheap (but still good quality), one can buy a set of extension tubes with electric wiring (I got a Chinese one from ebay for 70$, it works just fine), and use them with 50mm f1.8 lens.

Best prices can be found here: photoprice.ca .
[OP]
Dec 1, 2011
100 posts
16 upvotes
DARTMOUTH
Thanks guys I really appreciate the quick responses. After further research on my part I think I will end up going with the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II Lens as it's much closer to my budget. Not knowing a whole lot about photography in general I just assumed this was pretty much the same as her standard lens but that it was fixed at 50mm >.<. Read up personally on F-Stop/Aperture and think she should probably have this lens. I've hung around people that are camera fanatics before (they now photograph for magazines) and they had all sorts of stuff like light meters and multiple flashes and a cool hasselblad camera and such. I'm thinking I will reserve getting her in a few months time or her birthday.

Thanks guys, you've made my decision. Any recommendation on photography books focusing on portraits or aperture to accompany this gift?
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2009
4985 posts
524 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Stryker14 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2012 8:09 am
Thanks guys I really appreciate the quick responses. After further research on my part I think I will end up going with the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II Lens as it's much closer to my budget. Not knowing a whole lot about photography in general I just assumed this was pretty much the same as her standard lens but that it was fixed at 50mm >.<. Read up personally on F-Stop/Aperture and think she should probably have this lens. I've hung around people that are camera fanatics before (they now photograph for magazines) and they had all sorts of stuff like light meters and multiple flashes and a cool hasselblad camera and such. I'm thinking I will reserve getting her in a few months time or her birthday.

Thanks guys, you've made my decision. Any recommendation on photography books focusing on portraits or aperture to accompany this gift?
If your budget allows, add a Hoya CPL polarizing filter for the lens. It should not be left on permanently, but brought out for reducing glare in miniatures, or darkening sky, and reducing glare outdoors.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
2441 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto
Stryker14 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2012 8:09 am

Waste of money in my opinion, its like a book on how to swim, you just gotta do it and learn in the process.
50mm is more than enough, maybe a couple of SD cards will be nice
Feb 6, 2008
998 posts
33 upvotes
Everything about photography can be found online, so instead of giving her a book, tell her to go online for some read up.
Aug 6, 2009
474 posts
44 upvotes
There is a lot of free information online.

If you're set on a book I enjoyed understanding exposure.

It will explain with examples aperture, iso, and shutter speed. Again, you can get a lot online for free. But it's a good boom if you want it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2009
5385 posts
102 upvotes
I like the Digital Photography series by Scott Kelby. They basically show you a photo and tell you what you'll need (equipment & settings) to get such a photo. If they suggest an equipment, they'll tell you the alternatives at different price points.
AcidBomber wrote:
Jan 19th, 2012 8:09 pm
Warning to all (trolls) - next person to post any flamebaits (religious, sexist, racial, etc) gets an automatic ban.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2011
100 posts
16 upvotes
DARTMOUTH
Okay so I thought I was done and happy with my purchase of the 50mm lens. My girlfriend started having trouble with focusing her camera do she took it in today. While she was there they agree it was the lense so they took it to repair. Becuse it's Christmas time when she wants to take photos she bought the same damn lens! So now I'm not sure whether to tell her to take it back. I'm now looking at telephoto lenses.

What's the best one I can get for $250? What are my other options? I'm rather upset lol.
Feb 6, 2008
998 posts
33 upvotes
Where did you get it from? Why not swap it with a different one? Try 40mm pancake lens.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2011
100 posts
16 upvotes
DARTMOUTH
I had bought a 50mm 1.8 from best buy as Henry's was OOS. She bought the 50mm and her camera/kit lens from Henry's.

Most of her photos are outdoors except for of course family/special occasions.
× < >