Tags:
None
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
49337 posts
14598 upvotes

Effects of Hormones / Antibiotics in Childrens' Milk

I currently give my daughter 3.75% homo milk with DHA -- Dairy Oh! . Some of my friends have suggested I switch over to organic milk because of all those hormones dairy companies feed cows so they can produce more milk.

How harmful are these hormones and chemicals found in milk for children? Is it really worth spending the extra $$$ to switch over to organic?

My daughter is already turning 7, is DHA fortified milk still needed to help her brain develop?

Thanks.
8 replies
Dec 25, 2002
642 posts
204 upvotes
I personally try to live as natural a life as possible and I don't buy organic milk. This is because 1) it is way too expensive for us and 2) we used to buy it and found it frequently was bad when we bought it or else went bad prior to its expiry date.

There should be no growth hormone in milk processed in Canada. I found this link regarding this topic (the part about hormones and antibiotics is about halfway down the page)

http://www.healthunit.org/nutrition/hot ... kmyths.pdf

Having said that if money was no object and if we could find a fresher supply in our area I probably would buy organic milk. We have to pick and choose what we buy organic though and for me milk is one thing that I choose to buy conventionally.

I can't comment on the DHA aspect as I've never researched it. I know it is suppose to be a good thing in formula but since we never used it I never bothered to investigate it. I've not heard if it is a good, bad or indifferent thing for older children though.

Kelly
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
49337 posts
14598 upvotes
kellya wrote:
Jul 14th, 2007 4:35 pm
I personally try to live as natural a life as possible and I don't buy organic milk. This is because 1) it is way too expensive for us and 2) we used to buy it and found it frequently was bad when we bought it or else went bad prior to its expiry date.

There should be no growth hormone in milk processed in Canada. I found this link regarding this topic (the part about hormones and antibiotics is about halfway down the page)

http://www.healthunit.org/nutrition/hot ... kmyths.pdf

Having said that if money was no object and if we could find a fresher supply in our area I probably would buy organic milk. We have to pick and choose what we buy organic though and for me milk is one thing that I choose to buy conventionally.

I can't comment on the DHA aspect as I've never researched it. I know it is suppose to be a good thing in formula but since we never used it I never bothered to investigate it. I've not heard if it is a good, bad or indifferent thing for older children though.

Kelly
Thanks Kelly for taking the time to write. Much Appreciated.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9512 posts
637 upvotes
Muskoka
There is no growth hormone in Canadian milk, it is banned here. Antibiotics, yes. There doesn't seem to be any scientifically conclusive evidence that it's an issue, so it's really up to your own judgement. Organic milk is expensive, $4-5 more per bag.

I'd be more concerned about giving a 7 year old homo milk! All advice I've seen is to switch to skim at 2 years old, which we did with our son. After that age, they do not need the fat any more, and it could become a problem for the child later if weight is an issue.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
971 upvotes
Niagara Falls
It depends on the child Bullseye. All 3 of ours are still on homo milk as recommended by their ped. They are all quite thin and tend to need the added calories and fat. Our 15 yr old tends to run about 8% body fat! But to put it in perspective, they don't eat junk food or drink pop as a rule and are all very physically active...
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
1054 posts
49 upvotes
Quebec
I'm not sure about the risks with antibiotics but I just buy soy milk.
They have natura soy for ~8$ a six tetra pack at costco and it tastes great.
Just don't expect it to taste the same as milk, it doesn't.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1559 posts
23 upvotes
Calgary
Ha..the irony....So I guess u have researched a lot about soy milk....I'm not saying I believe all the horror stories written about soya milk...but still the real milk has gone thru centuries of trial and error..so that at least we r sure 'bout the after effects...
6millions wrote:
Jul 16th, 2007 11:47 am
I'm not sure about the risks with antibiotics but I just buy soy milk.
They have natura soy for ~8$ a six tetra pack at costco and it tastes great.
Just don't expect it to taste the same as milk, it doesn't.
If "humans" are capable of the level of advancement that we have made in the last 5000 years, why is it considered normal that the other 395,000 years of human habitation has almost no technological advancement? **************USA: The land of the armed, Home of the scared******************
Apr 9, 2005
200 posts
19 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote:
Jul 16th, 2007 11:45 am
It depends on the child Bullseye. All 3 of ours are still on homo milk as recommended by their ped. They are all quite thin and tend to need the added calories and fat. Our 15 yr old tends to run about 8% body fat! But to put it in perspective, they don't eat junk food or drink pop as a rule and are all very physically active...
My kids have been drinking homo milk all their lives and are also in good shape,
I tried recently to switch to 2% thinking they wouldn't notice but as soon as they tasted it asked if the store had run out of homo milk...
Jan 18, 2007
8 posts
There are a lot of sources out there that are recommending to keep kids on whole/homo milk until about age 5. they need the fats for proper brain development. I did a goole search and came up with many references supporting this.

As for soy milk, I have concerns about the estrogenic effects of soy, so I limit soy products for my family.

I use organic milk to ensure no antibiotics, and also because tests have shown that it contains more essential fatty acids than non-organic milk. There's also the ethical reasons to use it too. I also read that the toxins tend to collect in the fats, so you reduce this by having organic milk, butter, etc.