[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2732 posts
599 upvotes
Mississauga

Eggs, educate me.

What eggs to buy and why?
Are the organic free range eggs any better for you? Are they more nutritious? Or is this all only about the way the eggs are produced?
What do you buy and why?
45 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1338 posts
221 upvotes
Montreal
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 10:23 pm
What eggs to buy and why?
Are the organic free range eggs any better for you? Are they more nutritious? Or is this all only about the way the eggs are produced?
What do you buy and why?
eggmcmuffins
cuz they're tasty
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20471 posts
6576 upvotes
I buy Born 3s from Costco.
I'm not even sure why to be honest.
I do like the yolk size and color.

Eggs in general are cheaper at the supermarket on sales, but I can't be assed to visit a certain JUST for eggs.
If you count the regular vs regular price, the Born 3s are close enough for me.
Feb 16, 2018
357 posts
238 upvotes
An egg is an egg to me. I just buy the cheapest 12 pack I see when I'm at the grocery store. I make sure they are not cracked and off I go.

Only use I have for eggs is omelettes and to throw a raw egg in a protein shake. The texture that a raw egg gives to a shake is the reason why it gets put in there

Don't think I'm missing much but I could be wrong
Nov 9, 2013
523 posts
409 upvotes
Scarborough
Not much difference. You can go for Omega 3 ones, brown eggs. Though plain average eggs are just fine.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2099 posts
684 upvotes
Ontario
Strafe1 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 10:59 pm
Not much difference. You can go for Omega 3 ones, brown eggs. Though plain average eggs are just fine.
Brown vs white egg is no difference in taste or nutrition. The shell colour depends on the chickens earlobe colour.

Just buy whatever egg is on sale.
Mar 6, 2015
235 posts
542 upvotes
New Brunswick
I buy organic free range as a moral and ethical decision and accept paying extra. As far as taste or nutrition..... I've been eating them long enough now that I can usually taste the difference between free range and standard. Nutritionally, there's no difference.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3423 posts
469 upvotes
bunmin wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 6:43 am
I buy organic free range as a moral and ethical decision and accept paying extra. As far as taste or nutrition..... I've been eating them long enough now that I can usually taste the difference between free range and standard. Nutritionally, there's no difference.
You are wasting your money on range free . All that means is that there is an open door on the hatchery . But most chickens will not leave the heard and to go outside . Out off thousands of chickens maybe 10 to 15 will venture out . It's not like they are outside like on a farm .

Eggs are great for you one of the few foods you can eat unprocessed.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4498 posts
1442 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 10:43 pm
I buy Born 3s from Costco.
I'm not even sure why to be honest.
I do like the yolk size and color.

Eggs in general are cheaper at the supermarket on sales, but I can't be assed to visit a certain JUST for eggs.
If you count the regular vs regular price, the Born 3s are close enough for me.

I buy these as well as I think they are a good value. While they are not organic, they seem better than the budget eggs that come on sale from time to time at Shoppers Drug Mart or Safeway. I also find that they are usually fresh (i.e. they don't smell or leave smells behind on my plates and dishes). I think omega eggs are more nutritious. I eat maximum of one egg (including the yolk) per day but maybe only three times a week. On rare occasions, I might have two eggs but I will throw one of the yolks out in that case to lower my fat intake.
Mar 6, 2015
235 posts
542 upvotes
New Brunswick
pfbmgd wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 7:54 am
You are wasting your money on range free . All that means is that there is an open door on the hatchery . But most chickens will not leave the heard and to go outside . Out off thousands of chickens maybe 10 to 15 will venture out . It's not like they are outside like on a farm .
I know that and am fine with it. If it's a choice between eggs from chickens stuffed into cages barely big enough for them or eggs from chickens that can at least wander around I'll choose the latter. I get the majority of my eggs from my in-laws who have a hobby farm so for the few extra cartons I need a year I can spare the extra dollars for my own personal peace of mind, however misplaced you may think it is.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5063 posts
1890 upvotes
With the Burnbrae free range eggs for instance the hens are loose in a barn and also have access to a grassed pen. This makes a difference because the carotenoids in grass, dandelion flowers, etc. colour the yolks deeply. Battery hen egg yolks are naturally quite pale but producers use feed with carotenoids in them to make a market-suitable coloured yolk, but they don't have the added nutrition of all the other things in natural greens. Omega eggs are made by feeding relatively expensive flax seed to the chickens. Better diet, better eggs.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3423 posts
469 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 12:21 pm
With the Burnbrae free range eggs for instance the hens are loose in a barn and also have access to a grassed pen. This makes a difference because the carotenoids in grass, dandelion flowers, etc. colour the yolks deeply. Battery hen egg yolks are naturally quite pale but producers use feed with carotenoids in them to make a market-suitable coloured yolk, but they don't have the added nutrition of all the other things in natural greens. Omega eggs are made by feeding relatively expensive flax seed to the chickens. Better diet, better eggs.
Go watch a few investigative reports on subject . I bet it will change your mind . The amount of omega you get from eggs minimal at best . But it's great marketing .
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5063 posts
1890 upvotes
pfbmgd wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 1:14 pm
Go watch a few investigative reports on subject . I bet it will change your mind . The amount of omega you get from eggs minimal at best . But it's great marketing .
I actually quite agree with you - it is better to eat the omega sources directly yourself.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3562 posts
725 upvotes
At my work place, one of the ladie’s mother owns a farm and we used to get fresh free range eggs from her. The yolk was a much deeper orange and it tasted a little better compared to the ones I got from the supermarket.

I am not sure how much more nutrition they had for me. If I were to buy both from the supermarket, I probably wouldn’t pay the premium for the free range eggs.
Last edited by boonjaca on Mar 18th, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Updated December 2018