Eggs are small

Has anyone notice eggs are small nowadays? They were big a decade ago
96 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23195 posts
1033 upvotes
Markham, ON
just like pizza boxes...large in the past is medium now.

Even prepack jello...use to be 6 in a pack now only 4 and charge the same.
May 28, 2012
9318 posts
1720 upvotes
Saskatoon
I buy the extra large sized eggs now because they are the same as the large from years back. I thought eggs were a standardized item (with grading systems in place), but I've noticed a change over the years.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23195 posts
1033 upvotes
Markham, ON
same for loaf of bread...use to be longer!
fancy rice bags use to be 10kg...now 8kg

toilet paper wider (makes sense....cause we get less food now)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6614 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
Lol. I noticed this myself as well.
Guess we'll just have to buy extra large eggs for recipes that call for large.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
17831 posts
3425 upvotes
Toronto
.... chickens are getting tired Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes come on people, they are not machines !
Mar 14, 2006
237 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
Yes. My large eggs looks like what small ones used to be.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3084 posts
1106 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I haven't noticed any difference. Been buying eggs since the 80s when I was a teen. The large size is still the right volume for all my recipes (baking).
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3084 posts
1106 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I should add, that I haven't noticed this, and I am all over the size-shrinking of all grocery store products. I notice that kind of stuff like a hawk and it pisses me right off. I hate the attempts to deceive people by making the packaging look the same while putting less and less in. You can barely make a sandwich from a can of tuna these days (I used to get 3 out of a can in the 80s). So, I do notice this stuff, but I can honestly say that eggs seem about the same size as always to me.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3368 posts
1021 upvotes
In the 70's when I first got active in the kitchen the cheapest egg to buy was the medium, 49g, and any time there was a sale on eggs it was on mediums. Euro recipes that went by weight used the rule 1 egg = 50 g (didn't quite have grams yet here). Now the cheap eggs are always large, 56g, and you don't really see mediums around. So technically all my old recipes are screwed.*

So IMO eggs have gotten bigger over the last 40 years.

* in part by metric sizing like 250 ml for 1 US cup (237 ml). So a scant cup, a cup less a tablespoon is supposed to be 222 ml but on my Canadian cups it is 235 ml, which sounds like a non-scant US cup...Metric has made things bigger.

* And I just want to add that bake times and sizes of cookies have expanded wildly too (3X+) in the last 40 years. What used to be a regular cookie would now be called a bite. What we know as a cookie would have been a platter of 4 in 1975.

Yup, standards have gotten bigger in food IMO.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 2, 2007
662 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
I used to pick eggs laid by home grown chickens. Those eggs were substantially larger. I think chicken farms are breeding smaller chickens
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3368 posts
1021 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 3:28 pm
I should add, that I haven't noticed this, and I am all over the size-shrinking of all grocery store products. I notice that kind of stuff like a hawk and it pisses me right off. I hate the attempts to deceive people by making the packaging look the same while putting less and less in. You can barely make a sandwich from a can of tuna these days (I used to get 3 out of a can in the 80s). So, I do notice this stuff, but I can honestly say that eggs seem about the same size as always to me.
I think the tuna is the same but the size of your slice of bread is bigger, requiring more tuna coverage. Bread has gotten bigger and thicker since I was a kid.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12324 posts
351 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 2:37 pm
just like pizza boxes...large in the past is medium now.

Even prepack jello...use to be 6 in a pack now only 4 and charge the same.
so 14 inches from the past is longer than 14 inches in now?
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4641 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 3:38 pm
In the 70's when I first got active in the kitchen the cheapest egg to buy was the medium, 49g, and any time there was a sale on eggs it was on mediums. Euro recipes that went by weight used the rule 1 egg = 50 g (didn't quite have grams yet here). Now the cheap eggs are always large, 56g, and you don't really see mediums around. So technically all my old recipes are screwed.*
This is also why I also weigh my eggs. It's a pain in the butt having 5/16th of an egg but there's always something I can do with it.
* in part by metric sizing like 250 ml for 1 US cup (237 ml). So a scant cup, a cup less a tablespoon is supposed to be 222 ml but on my Canadian cups it is 235 ml, which sounds like a non-scant US cup...Metric has made things bigger.
This is why cups/tablespoons/etc is a stupid way of cooking when you want precision.
Even between different tablespoons I have like a 20% variance between models.
You literally have one job.
* And I just want to add that bake times and sizes of cookies have expanded wildly too (3X+) in the last 40 years. What used to be a regular cookie would now be called a bite. What we know as a cookie would have been a platter of 4 in 1975.
This has been true of all food really. I mean... could imagine explaining to 1975 you that you're about to drink a gallon of soda?
picard12 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 3:40 pm
I used to pick eggs laid by home grown chickens. Those eggs were substantially larger. I think chicken farms are breeding smaller chickens
You realize that eggs are sized right?
You can buy larger eggs.