• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2017 11:49 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1237 posts
4 upvotes
usa
We find white egg to have a funny smell. I can't describe the smell though. The only time we would buy white egg is if we have a taste for the pork hock and hard boiled egg in Chinese black sweet vinegar. Since the vinegar is very stong, it covers the smell.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2781 posts
908 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
gta1216 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 6:29 am
We find white egg to have a funny smell. I can't describe the smell though. The only time we would buy white egg is if we have a taste for the pork hock and hard boiled egg in Chinese black sweet vinegar. Since the vinegar is very stong, it covers the smell.
Maybe you are using bad eggs? White eggs don't smell any different/or funny.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1237 posts
4 upvotes
usa
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 3:44 pm
Maybe you are using bad eggs? White eggs don't smell any different/or funny.
My entire family says the same, so everyone has been buying brown egg since the 80s.
Mar 10, 2012
151 posts
73 upvotes
THORNHILL
gta1216 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 3:52 pm
My entire family says the same, so everyone has been buying brown egg since the 80s.
That doesn't make it so...

I've used both, can't say there is any difference between white and brown eggs.

Try a blind test...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4630 upvotes
brianl999 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 11:54 am
Try a blind test...
Some people already have.
It's pretty well documented that "we" are right as in there is no difference.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2781 posts
908 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
death_hawk wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 12:32 pm
Some people already have.
It's pretty well documented that "we" are right as in there is no difference.
Agreed. I've had plenty of both.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3223 posts
959 upvotes
Brown and white eggs from the supermarket = no different to me
Brown eggs from the farm and white eggs from the supermarket = huge difference (more colour, flavour)
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
2923 posts
762 upvotes
Moncton
Are American eggs cheaper/bigger? Just wondering what will happen when Donald Trump makes Canada great again. If you are bored, check out the chicken farms of North Western NewBrunswick. None on the American side (they moved to the southern US). The production quotas are provincial, but they can sell interprovincially, so they are as close to the Quebec border as they can get.

29 Chemin Laplante, Saint-François-de-Madawaska, NB E7A 1H3
[removed]
Last edited by Mars2012 on Apr 19th, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: shortened link removed
Clicking on "Thanks" is appreciated.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3223 posts
959 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 6:10 pm
Outside of color (which is easy to screw with) apparently someone did a blind taste test with flavor too and there's no difference.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/what ... d-lab.html
No they wrote:
So the results were clear: For the best tasting eggs, go for pastured chickens.

Of course those chickens could be laying either brown or white eggs. However these is a difference in taste and colour of eggs from hens out on grass in summer vs. in the winter even, or eggs from a a battery farm.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4630 upvotes
Both of them picked the standard battery-produced egg as the clear winner in the head-to-head match up. The exact opposite of what Erin had picked in both earlier tastings.
Well WTF.

Also
It was pretty clear evidence that as far as eggs go, the mindset of the taster has far more bearing on the flavor of the egg than the egg itself.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3223 posts
959 upvotes
I have both brown free range non-commercial farm eggs off a local farm and white commercial supermarket (well, Shoppers Drug Mart) eggs in my fridge right now.

I use the brown ones (the good eggs) for omelettes, cakes, custard pie - things where I want egg flavour and colour to be prominent; and the white ones (cheapo $1.77/dz and Becks is right, some are ping pong ball size) for cookies or potato salad or something where the egginess is lost in a bunch of other ingredients.

When I first moved to the city I was a little freaked out by the white "ghost eggs" that were so pale and mild/tasteless. I totally went off eggs for a while. Just like butter from cows on grass vs. on hay, though, eggs from hens on grass do taste different from those on just feed.

At the same time, I can't bring myself to eat anything richer, e.g., duck eggs.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
5967 posts
1008 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 7:43 pm

I use the brown ones (the good eggs) for omelettes, cakes, custard pie - things where I want egg flavour and colour to be prominent;
Do you have a good recipe for Bee Sting cake? Reminded of my love for this cake after seeing it available in this week's Independent flyer.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3223 posts
959 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 11:38 pm
Do you have a good recipe for Bee Sting cake? Reminded of my love for this cake after seeing it available in this week's Independent flyer.
I know you are hoping for a beautiful pastry creme recipe but the truth is:

× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel