Vancouver
Ugh, how come no 100 go fir me? Is there a trick
Nov 12, 2009
367 posts
231 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 12:10 am
Ugh, how come no 100 go fir me? Is there a trick
You should add your google account first in the accounts section in the settings before you open google drive and then you should get a message afterwards about the free 100GB for 2 years. Also here's a tip to make it easy switching between Android and iOS in the future....just save all of your contacts and calendar on your google account. That way when you switch to a new device be it Android or iOS all you do is just add your Google Account and then select the the contacts and calendar to sync with the phone.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
8860 posts
595 upvotes
Vancouver
I did add my account at first setup. I saw the offer :(, clicked the offer. Received an error message. Regarding to update. I updated. Then lost the offer.

Oh well I'll contact LG as google told me the phone manufacturer looks after the promos.

I wonder if I delete that google account...try another google account?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
8860 posts
595 upvotes
Vancouver
Yay! I'm not sure what I did. But I think I uninstalled google drive. Then opened the app. Scrolled down. Saw the "redeem offer" and voila. 100 gb for the next two years.

I will say I have tonnes to learn coming from the iPhone/apple. Very very different. All the learning will be good for my brain...hopefully. Just need to be patient.
Jan 11, 2017
25 posts
11 upvotes
I got the phone yesterday and it is fantastic except for 1 thing (at least for me), there is no notification LED. I know it has the always on screen and im gonna try to get used to it, but was kind of surprised to see it have no LED notification.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
8860 posts
595 upvotes
Vancouver
Sorry for all the questions. I'm switching from an iPhone. Do we automatically get firmware updates and software updates?

Do I need to check? And if so, where and how?

Are the updates different from the North American updates etc

Thanks a bunch
Jul 22, 2017
166 posts
93 upvotes
Pingu in the city
trellaine201 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 6:16 pm
Sorry for all the questions. I'm switching from an iPhone. Do we automatically get firmware updates and software updates?

Do I need to check? And if so, where and how?

Are the updates different from the North American updates etc

Thanks a bunch
Firmware updates and software updates can be found under Settings > About phone > Common > Update centre.
You can set it up to auto-update at there.
Different variant of LG G6 would receive different firmwares. Currently this variant (Taiwan version) is on v10e-TWN-XX.

Edited: Sorry. I missed "About phone".
Last edited by PenguinRei on Sep 9th, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noot Noot!❗😄
Great coffee, better mind!
Aeropress + Metal filter | Hario V60 | French press | Vietnamese coffee filter | Kalita narrow-mouthed pot
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
8860 posts
595 upvotes
Vancouver
PenguinRei wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 6:51 pm
Firmware updates and software updates can be found under Settings > Common > Update centre.
You can set it up to auto-update at there.
Different variant of LG G6 would receive different firmwares. Currently this variant (Taiwan version) is on v10e-TWN-XX.
Thank u so much!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
8860 posts
595 upvotes
Vancouver
Hmm I don't see any "common"

Oops nevermind lol I found it
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
8860 posts
595 upvotes
Vancouver
So one big reason I purchased this phone was for quad DAC. I am using very good headphones Bowers and Wilkins. When plugged in doesn't this quad DAC auto activate? Am I doing something wrong? Hmm I activated it manually but there is no difference in the sound. Ugh
Mar 31, 2010
147 posts
8 upvotes
For those of you who are on public mobile. Do you find that the reception bar is usually around 2-3 bars? Or is there a fix?

Thanks
Dec 16, 2012
322 posts
346 upvotes
Calgary
trellaine201 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 11:23 pm
So one big reason I purchased this phone was for quad DAC. I am using very good headphones Bowers and Wilkins. When plugged in doesn't this quad DAC auto activate? Am I doing something wrong? Hmm I activated it manually but there is no difference in the sound. Ugh
Check your impedance on your headphones, it may not be high enough for quad DAC to make a difference.

For all those who got the $18 refer and not sure what to buy, Jaybirds X3 comes to about ~$100 CDN including shipping+tax, which is comparable/cheaper to almost anywhere else right now. Just picked up a pair =p
😁
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
8860 posts
595 upvotes
Vancouver
Problem is I have no idea what model Bowers and Wilkins I have. I know there not cheap. The headphones have no model on them grrr
Jul 22, 2017
166 posts
93 upvotes
Pingu in the city
trellaine201 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 11:23 pm
Might be a bit long, but here you go.

To have high quality sound, you will need to look at:
  • The source file : Lossless file types such as flac or ape. If you are using any other lossy format with anything less than 320 kbps or so, the sound quality will not be great even if you're using the best quality of equipment. I believe spotify is using lossy compression format, which is why you don't hear the differences.
  • The source device : Cowon, fiio, sony or in this case, we have LG G6 with quad dac.
  • Headphone : Legitimate headphones that perform all sounds levels clearly. Here are the list of recommendations from reddit to get some idea of price/performance, but then it's only partial/beginner's list to the audiophile world.
For the quad dac part, this converts digital to analog sounds, 4 at the same time. This will smooth out the entire sound signal so the sound should be more accurate and "natural" as what LG described, and also amplifier the sound. If your headphones is good enough, then you should be able to hear the differences.

TL;DR:

Get a lossless file format, play it through a good music app such as poweramp or jetaudio.
Turn on hifi-dac. The sound should be clearer in each sound range, smoother and louder.

If not, you might want to change your headphone that performs better or more accurate, such as studio monitor headphones. (Sony, Audio technica, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG, so on)

If you want to adjust your sound, what you are looking for is an equalizer. Poweramp have it. :)
Noot Noot!❗😄
Great coffee, better mind!
Aeropress + Metal filter | Hario V60 | French press | Vietnamese coffee filter | Kalita narrow-mouthed pot
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
8860 posts
595 upvotes
Vancouver
Awww that was really nice of you to fully explain. And I understand much better now. The reviews were so high on this phone, big reason was this quad DAC. They never mentioned a word regarding headphones , source etc. Not a good review I guess. Or just lacked detail. Funny that you mention studio headphones. I may have a pair hmmm they weren't cheap either. I wouldn't wear them on the street though lol. I think I bought a pair of audio technica, again no idea what model. But it does have an adapter to connect to phones.

I'll use your suggestions for testing.

Thanks again

I have the ATH-M50