EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2020 3:50 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9111 posts
1708 upvotes
Edmonton
s12345 wrote: What are advantage of getting few extra weeks on severance, if anyways will get EI? EI typically is not pade for weeks covered by severance
Would you rather get 100% pay or 55%?

Do I get a prize for post 15000?
Aug 18, 2007
166 posts
65 upvotes
I think government does not pay EI for severance_pay/EI_weekly days ....

Last time I was on EI I vaguely recall they asked to pay back something next year tax return (small part).
Feb 8, 2017
448 posts
233 upvotes
2 weeks ago i submitted a claim and was approved for ei sickness benefits. the total claim period was approx 5 weeks. i am currently back at work. it can take 28 days for ei payments to show up in my account. i was just wondering if there is any other kind of reporting i need to do to ensure i get the ei $? i have not been asked for my doctors notes. i read that ei asks for reporting updates but i'm assuming that is for people on regular ei benefits? thanks in advance for the help.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9111 posts
1708 upvotes
Edmonton
aubgray1 wrote: 2 weeks ago i submitted a claim and was approved for ei sickness benefits. the total claim period was approx 5 weeks. i am currently back at work. it can take 28 days for ei payments to show up in my account. i was just wondering if there is any other kind of reporting i need to do to ensure i get the ei $? i have not been asked for my doctors notes. i read that ei asks for reporting updates but i'm assuming that is for people on regular ei benefits? thanks in advance for the help.
You need to do reports to get paid
Jul 17, 2008
5 posts
calgary, ab
I left work 2 weeks ago and my Dr said I needed 3-6 no this off due to stress and depression.

That letter went to my jobs benefits dept... I got called today saying they are denying my claim.

I'm hoping to appeal it but money is crazy tight!

A friend said I could apply for medical ei, and then if my appeal goes positive I would just pay ei back any no e.g. when I got my back pay from work.

Does anyone know if this is correct?
I'm so stressed I can't stop crying!!
May 3, 2018
1 posts
janetls wrote: I left work 2 weeks ago and my Dr said I needed 3-6 no this off due to stress and depression.

That letter went to my jobs benefits dept... I got called today saying they are denying my claim.

I'm hoping to appeal it but money is crazy tight!

A friend said I could apply for medical ei, and then if my appeal goes positive I would just pay ei back any no e.g. when I got my back pay from work.

Does anyone know if this is correct?
I'm so stressed I can't stop crying!!
The information you have received is accurate. Apply for EI as soon as possible, provide your doctor’s note to a service Canada centre and if your benefit provider ends up paying you, report it as soon as possible to avoid complications.

You may even be able to ask for a backdate by explaining that you didn’t apply on time (e.g., within 4 weeks of stopping work) because you were expecting to be paid by your benefit provider.
May 6, 2018
1 posts
Hello,

I have a question about being on EI but also working part time.

I have a full time job which I'll be using to apply for my parental benefits (should be getting benefit maximum). I also work part time as a realtor. Talking to EI the other day, they said for now just put your full time job on my application and if I gain any income from my part time job that's when I can call in and add it.

My question.... Commissions from real estate can be pretty high. So in an instance let's say I make a commission of $15,000, 2 months into my claim, how would this affect it? Would the dollar for dollar amount be taken out of my benefit? Would I have to pay EI back money if it was towards the end of my claim? And since it's commission, what weeks would the income apply for? Just the week I get paid?

Thanks in advance!
Jul 17, 2008
5 posts
calgary, ab
So I applied today..but it said nothing will happen without a ROE... which I won't get because I'm appealing the company to pay my sick leave... any idea what to do here?
Thanks!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10140 posts
4220 upvotes
Calgary
janetls wrote: So I applied today..but it said nothing will happen without a ROE... which I won't get because I'm appealing the company to pay my sick leave... any idea what to do here?
Thanks!
Service Canada can create interim ROE in the meantime. Also, a company is legally required to provide ROE upon request.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10140 posts
4220 upvotes
Calgary
mkaweesa wrote: Hello,

I have a question about being on EI but also working part time.

I have a full time job which I'll be using to apply for my parental benefits (should be getting benefit maximum). I also work part time as a realtor. Talking to EI the other day, they said for now just put your full time job on my application and if I gain any income from my part time job that's when I can call in and add it.

My question.... Commissions from real estate can be pretty high. So in an instance let's say I make a commission of $15,000, 2 months into my claim, how would this affect it? Would the dollar for dollar amount be taken out of my benefit? Would I have to pay EI back money if it was towards the end of my claim? And since it's commission, what weeks would the income apply for? Just the week I get paid?

Thanks in advance!
Honestly I am not sure how the $15k pay will be allocated/deducted.
Jul 17, 2008
5 posts
calgary, ab
Thank you. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to hear from anyone once you apply?

Thanks again.
Jul 17, 2008
5 posts
calgary, ab
EI has a maximum you are allowed to earn when off work (I know it's not that high) ... I would think if you get a commission over a certain amount you would have to pay back whatever EI gave you over the time you were off and got the money
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9111 posts
1708 upvotes
Edmonton
Wnylnahs wrote: Long story ...I have been "battling" with my employer to correct some trouble within our office. Lack of management support, poor team communication, coworkers getting away with questionable things.
We have had one "team building" day back in December centered mostly around developing the company itself and not is as a team.
I have had approximately 3 one on one meetings with both my manager and the ED. Recently things have gotten worse and I'm stressed and frustrated and sort of lashed out. I again complained about the same things with no reasonable solution except to "talk it out".
In particular I commented on a coworkers work practices in doing another jobs work on company time and another questionable work practice, this comment came months ago . Out of the blue I'm called into a meeting with hr, two managers and the coworker in question. I was not told prior to the meeting what it was a about. He lied, said I made it up and embellished what I said even. One manager said I need to address the employee directly if I have a concern. I felt completely blindsided and ganged up on. I was left feeling like it was my word against his and they had already decided to believe him over me despite my initial complaint dating back to November.
Things have not improved and it has been over 8 months that I've brought things up. After this most recent meeting I am feeling like no resolution will ever be made and I will. I am stressed out beyond belief and feel like they are just waiting for me to quit.

Does any of this sound like grounds for just cause? I'm worried my couple of outbursts (not violent or beligerent, just extremely irritated) will harm my claims should I end up quitting.
I'm not sure I really understand what the issue is other than you're not seeing eye to eye with your coworkers

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

Oscar11