• Aug 21st, 2018 1:05 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8255 posts
1379 upvotes
Edmonton
Wnylnahs wrote:
May 11th, 2018 1:32 am
Long story ...I have been "battling" with my employer to correct some trouble within our office. Lack of management support, poor team communication, coworkers getting away with questionable things.
We have had one "team building" day back in December centered mostly around developing the company itself and not is as a team.
I have had approximately 3 one on one meetings with both my manager and the ED. Recently things have gotten worse and I'm stressed and frustrated and sort of lashed out. I again complained about the same things with no reasonable solution except to "talk it out".
In particular I commented on a coworkers work practices in doing another jobs work on company time and another questionable work practice, this comment came months ago . Out of the blue I'm called into a meeting with hr, two managers and the coworker in question. I was not told prior to the meeting what it was a about. He lied, said I made it up and embellished what I said even. One manager said I need to address the employee directly if I have a concern. I felt completely blindsided and ganged up on. I was left feeling like it was my word against his and they had already decided to believe him over me despite my initial complaint dating back to November.
Things have not improved and it has been over 8 months that I've brought things up. After this most recent meeting I am feeling like no resolution will ever be made and I will. I am stressed out beyond belief and feel like they are just waiting for me to quit.

Does any of this sound like grounds for just cause? I'm worried my couple of outbursts (not violent or beligerent, just extremely irritated) will harm my claims should I end up quitting.
I'm not sure I really understand what the issue is other than you're not seeing eye to eye with your coworkers
Mar 23, 2017
19 posts
Just a quick question, does scholarship count as income? Would that have to be reported as earning in the bi-weekly report?
Mar 4, 2018
41 posts
10 upvotes
leed10 wrote:
May 12th, 2018 1:36 am
Just a quick question, does scholarship count as income? Would that have to be reported as earning in the bi-weekly report?
I would want confirmation from someone else on this board, but it appears so: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... l#training :
Training allowance and earnings for attending training
Paid by 3rd party or organisation while a person attending training — trainee has not been referred by ESDC.
Not earnings as does not "arise out of employment". However, will be deducted from EI benefits
Will be deducted from EI benefits for the week for which the allowances are payable
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8255 posts
1379 upvotes
Edmonton
leed10 wrote:
May 12th, 2018 1:36 am
cat7kk2 wrote:
May 12th, 2018 11:16 am
I would want confirmation from someone else on this board, but it appears so: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... l#training :
It depends what the money actually is... Is it a true scholarship, a training allowance, a bursary, a grant etc etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4773 posts
607 upvotes
Toronto
How true is this:

when the company you're working for decides they don't need you, your contract with the agency doesn't end, and you won't get an ROE. Instead the agency will likely keep you on their books and you will have to report to them whether or not you are available for placement assignments from them. If they cannot find you a job in three months, then they'll consider you laid off and at that point you'll get an ROE stating this. If they do find you a job and you turn it down, then the three months starts all over again. The problem is the new laws want temp workers to get serverence after three months, and also collect for stat holidays when not working, but temp agencies obviously don't want to pay this, so they'll keep you on as long as they can to avoid this.
Mar 4, 2018
41 posts
10 upvotes
cgtlky wrote:
May 12th, 2018 9:10 pm
How true is this:

when the company you're working for decides they don't need you, your contract with the agency doesn't end, and you won't get an ROE. Instead the agency will likely keep you on their books and you will have to report to them whether or not you are available for placement assignments from them. If they cannot find you a job in three months, then they'll consider you laid off and at that point you'll get an ROE stating this. If they do find you a job and you turn it down, then the three months starts all over again. The problem is the new laws want temp workers to get serverence after three months, and also collect for stat holidays when not working, but temp agencies obviously don't want to pay this, so they'll keep you on as long as they can to avoid this.
An employer is legally obligated to provide a ROE after you have stopped working/unpaid for 7 or more days.
Mar 23, 2017
19 posts
clseea wrote:
May 12th, 2018 3:14 pm
It depends what the money actually is... Is it a true scholarship, a training allowance, a bursary, a grant etc etc.
So if it's a true scholarship (whatever that means) I would have to report it on bi weekly report as earning correct?
Jun 17, 2015
29 posts
Thornhill, ON
Question:

My uncle is currently on EI. His employment with his company was terminated in December 2017 and his EI payments started in February. He recently received a payment from his former employer for profit sharing from his employment in 2017. Will this amount have to be reported as "earnings" and will it affect his payments?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8255 posts
1379 upvotes
Edmonton
leed10 wrote:
May 12th, 2018 11:10 pm
So if it's a true scholarship (whatever that means) I would have to report it on bi weekly report as earning correct?
Without knowing what the money is, report it
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8255 posts
1379 upvotes
Edmonton
hereforit wrote:
May 13th, 2018 9:01 pm
Question:

My uncle is currently on EI. His employment with his company was terminated in December 2017 and his EI payments started in February. He recently received a payment from his former employer for profit sharing from his employment in 2017. Will this amount have to be reported as "earnings" and will it affect his payments?

Thanks
Needs to report it, not enough info to determine how it will affect his claim
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5232 posts
1106 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I took a part-time course but withdrew from it. This caused my EI claim to become under review and benefits not paid anymore during this period. I called EI and said it was because the course was one EI sometimes paid students while they were in school for it full-time; it fell under the “EI sponsored course category”.

However, my EI claim is completely unrelated to this course, and I took it only part-time. I was technically a part-time student. What gives ? The clerk over the phone said there’s nothing I can do until then.
No external links in signatures, last warning. - Moderator
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5232 posts
1106 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
leed10 wrote:
May 12th, 2018 11:10 pm
Scholarships usually aren’t income in EI eyes. Unless it’s a taxable employment income paid by your employer.
No external links in signatures, last warning. - Moderator
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5232 posts
1106 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
hereforit wrote:
May 13th, 2018 9:01 pm
Question:

Thanks
If it’s:
(A) separate taxable employment income earned separately from your period of employment, and earned during your unemployed EI collecting period, and
(B) normally recorded on and produces a T4

Then yes.

But if it’s just:
(A) deferred employment income you earned in the past employment period
(B) you did not work for this income during your EI period,

Then no. In the case of employment income, you’d be issued a ROE reflecting on (A) with a documented hour(s) you worked at a given time to earn that money. If it’s investment income (likely), a T5.

Profit sharing programs are usually investment income programs; you invest into them with a combination of cash investment from your paycheques, as well as with the dollar value of your sweat equity. Like how you’d buy shares and collect dividends from the corporation when it makes profit.

I.e.
- How would it appear on your taxes- employment income ?
- Did you work for and earn this money during your former employment period ?

If yes, it’s just deferred payment of an income earned back then- it is technically not income you worked for today.

When I worked in construction, we would have 10% of each pay period wages collected, and after layoff time in the winter, the collected balance would be reimbursed in one cheque. This wouldn’t interfere with our EI eligibility, since we worked for the payment in a past employed period, not the present time period of unemployment.
Feb 8, 2017
22 posts
2 upvotes
I was laid off on January 2, was given two weeks notice and told to work from home until January 19. I didn’t file for EI until February 15. However, I am only being paid EI from February 22nd. Can somebody please explain why? This is my first time filing so I don’t really understand the process. Thanks
Aug 28, 2017
2 posts
My friend was fired from her job, she went into a depression, she got approved for ei, but that's coming to an end. The depression hasn't come to an end, someone said try the ei sick benifits, but will she be able to apply right after the regular benifits end, what about waiting periods and insurance hours? I thought you had to wait between claims to get the hours up