• Oct 20th, 2018 10:43 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8310 posts
1399 upvotes
Edmonton
LonelyIsland wrote:
May 24th, 2018 7:56 pm
First of all let me commend and congratulate the posters and moderators, on this board, and this thread in particular. To be financially insecure and not well connected puts people in a situation of never ending poverty and misery. Employment Insurance payouts are essential for many people like me. I hope I can get some advice for my situation. I had to go on sick leave in May of 2017 and because I don't have family here, left to go abroad for about 4 months. I am sure the stress of the previous job caused me to fall ill. Returning to that place is not an option.

I filed for EI in October on my return to the country, and the claim was backdated on the advice of the EI agent I spoke with. So it was backdated and although it took several months to go through, I was able to receive sickness benefits which allowed me time to recover. I went on regular benefits, based on the original sickness claim, in February after a few weeks of back and forth with the EI office. The agent I spoke with told me that there would be an administrative interruption in June but there wasn't cause for concern because I would receive 45 weeks of regular benefits. The agent knew I was being migrated from sickness to regular benefits and that my claim had been backdated.

However a few weeks ago, I spoke with a couple of agents who told me my regular benefits would be terminated in early June because a claim can only run one year, and that I would have to reapply to be considered for further EI regular benefits. Because I haven't been working in the past year, I don't have insurable hours and won't be eligible for a new claim.

My question is: am I eligible for continued regular benefits? It seems harsh the claim will be ended well before the full number of weeks I am eligible for regular benefits. Does EI count sickness benefits week and regular benefits as part of a total number they will pay out?
Your claim ends when you use up your entitlement or you reach the end of your benefit period, whichever happens first. Sick benefits combined with regular can last for up to 50 weeks, unless your benefit period ends first.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2116 posts
506 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I started working part time while on EI and ended up over-reporting my earnings so I received less benefits... They sent me a letter months after it ended claiming I need to explain the differences. I did it but wonder if they will give me more money when they realize I was actually owed more? lol
May 24, 2018
1 posts
I am currently one month on EI and I landed a job as an independent contractor starting in June. However, I won't be getting paid until end of July as there is a 60 day turn over. From there I'll be getting paid month to month. However since being unemployed I am nervous to go that long without a pay and without ei. I don't know my volume of work week to week so I will report it, but i still will be without pay. How will this play out with ei?
May 25, 2018
1 posts
Good afternoon. I have a question regarding the approval for EI if you are fired.
I was employed for almost 5 years at the same company until I was recently fired for just cause.
A week before Christmas my daughter and my father were in a car accident. My daughter didn't survive and my dad was in serious condition. I was at work when I got the horrible news. The accident was in a town 6 hours away, so my dad was air lifted to a hospital in the city where I live. The shock was overwhelming and I couldn't think straight or figure out what to do, I wanted to see my daughter but I also wanted to see my dad, so my boss made the desicion for me and bought me a plane ticket to go to my child. I believe fate intervened because all the planes were delayed due to heavy fog. After my flight had been delayed for the 4th time, I took that as a sign to go see my dad. I let my boss know of my decision and I was told that I could use the ticket at a later date if needed. I went to my hometown ( where the accident took place) 6 says later and used the ticket to fly back on Christmas Eve but I didn't feel comfortable letting my boss pay for it, so I asked for his card to be refunded and to charge me for the ticket which they did. When I got to the airport, I realized that I didn't have my ID with me , so they weren't going to let me board. I explained my situation and pleaded with them and the solution was to put both of the tickets under my aunt's name who was boarding with me. I kept in touch almost daily with my boss and the ticket was never brought up so I had no idea that there was any issues. I went back to work in February and everyone was so wonderful towards me but after a few days I started to feel like something was off in regards to my boss' ( it's a family owned business, the owner, his wife, daughter and son all work there) but they acted like they were concerned for me but there was a different aura surrounding them. I was struggling with the loss of my daughter and having to be at the hospital every day after work was taking its toll on me. I wasn't struggling with my work but personaly speaking, I was not doing to well. About 2 weeks after I had returned to work, one morning I had a complete meltdown and couldn't stop crying no matter how hard I tried. I called my work and was put through to the daughter who listened to me cry and pour my heart out over the pain and sorrow I was enduring. She sounded so concerned and understanding and so I had no idea of what was about to happen. I confided in her that one night I had, had thoughts of suicide because I wanted to be with my child (it was a moment of unbelievable grief) and this is how she responded. She said " Are you having those thoughts right now?" I responded with a "no". She then says to me " Okay because I have something to tell you. You are going to receive a letter shortly because as of today we are terminating your employment with us." I asked why and she said it was because I lied to her about using the plane ticket on the day of the accident and that I used it to fly someone else to my current city. I said that they knew that I didn't use it that day because I was texting them about the fog delays and I texted them when I got to the hospital. I then explained to her my situation with my ID and that it was put under my aunt's name because there has to be proof of ID on the file. She then claimed that I had been dishonest to her before and I asked her to please explain to me why she thought that but she just quickly changed the subject. This was very confusing for me because I know that I have never had a reason to be dishonest to any of them. I feel that the real reason was because I became the elephant in the room and made them uncomfortable. Also, I would have been there 5 years in just a few weeks which meant a substantial raise and longer vacation time. Letting me go allowed them to bring in some one at a much lower wage and no benefits for at least a year. It just hurts that after being there for all those years, they let me go in the most cruel way.
I explained all of this in my EI application. On my service account it says that they have completed their assessment of my reason for leaving but since they haven't received my ROE, they are unable to establish a claim for me. They received my ROE the next day but they are still reviewing the information. That was 4 weeks ago and there is still no update.
My question is what do you think the out come of my application will be and should I contact them to ask for an update?
I'm so sorry for the long explanation. I just wanted you to know all of the facts.
Mar 4, 2018
56 posts
10 upvotes
djdestroyer wrote:
May 25th, 2018 11:35 am
I started working part time while on EI and ended up over-reporting my earnings so I received less benefits... They sent me a letter months after it ended claiming I need to explain the differences. I did it but wonder if they will give me more money when they realize I was actually owed more? lol
Sounds like it. If you have anything to back it up like paystubs, it may help.
Mar 4, 2018
56 posts
10 upvotes
hillbloom093 wrote:
May 25th, 2018 11:05 pm
I am currently one month on EI and I landed a job as an independent contractor starting in June. However, I won't be getting paid until end of July as there is a 60 day turn over. From there I'll be getting paid month to month. However since being unemployed I am nervous to go that long without a pay and without ei. I don't know my volume of work week to week so I will report it, but i still will be without pay. How will this play out with ei?
Even if you still haven't received your paycheque from your employer, you need to accurately report your hours and monies earned. Unfortunately, it will reduce the amount you receive from EI. At least now you know and can plan ahead financially. Can you ask for a pay advance from your employer? If you are desperate (cant pay for rent/groceries), call up your province. You may qualify for support, even if for only that month before you get a paycheque.
Mar 4, 2018
56 posts
10 upvotes
Cattaroo79 wrote:
May 26th, 2018 5:26 pm
Good afternoon. I have a question regarding the approval for EI if you are fired.
I was employed for almost 5 years at the same company until I was recently fired for just cause.
A week before Christmas my daughter and my father were in a car accident. My daughter didn't survive and my dad was in serious condition. I was at work when I got the horrible news. The accident was in a town 6 hours away, so my dad was air lifted to a hospital in the city where I live. The shock was overwhelming and I couldn't think straight or figure out what to do, I wanted to see my daughter but I also wanted to see my dad, so my boss made the desicion for me and bought me a plane ticket to go to my child. I believe fate intervened because all the planes were delayed due to heavy fog. After my flight had been delayed for the 4th time, I took that as a sign to go see my dad. I let my boss know of my decision and I was told that I could use the ticket at a later date if needed. I went to my hometown ( where the accident took place) 6 says later and used the ticket to fly back on Christmas Eve but I didn't feel comfortable letting my boss pay for it, so I asked for his card to be refunded and to charge me for the ticket which they did. When I got to the airport, I realized that I didn't have my ID with me , so they weren't going to let me board. I explained my situation and pleaded with them and the solution was to put both of the tickets under my aunt's name who was boarding with me. I kept in touch almost daily with my boss and the ticket was never brought up so I had no idea that there was any issues. I went back to work in February and everyone was so wonderful towards me but after a few days I started to feel like something was off in regards to my boss' ( it's a family owned business, the owner, his wife, daughter and son all work there) but they acted like they were concerned for me but there was a different aura surrounding them. I was struggling with the loss of my daughter and having to be at the hospital every day after work was taking its toll on me. I wasn't struggling with my work but personaly speaking, I was not doing to well. About 2 weeks after I had returned to work, one morning I had a complete meltdown and couldn't stop crying no matter how hard I tried. I called my work and was put through to the daughter who listened to me cry and pour my heart out over the pain and sorrow I was enduring. She sounded so concerned and understanding and so I had no idea of what was about to happen. I confided in her that one night I had, had thoughts of suicide because I wanted to be with my child (it was a moment of unbelievable grief) and this is how she responded. She said " Are you having those thoughts right now?" I responded with a "no". She then says to me " Okay because I have something to tell you. You are going to receive a letter shortly because as of today we are terminating your employment with us." I asked why and she said it was because I lied to her about using the plane ticket on the day of the accident and that I used it to fly someone else to my current city. I said that they knew that I didn't use it that day because I was texting them about the fog delays and I texted them when I got to the hospital. I then explained to her my situation with my ID and that it was put under my aunt's name because there has to be proof of ID on the file. She then claimed that I had been dishonest to her before and I asked her to please explain to me why she thought that but she just quickly changed the subject. This was very confusing for me because I know that I have never had a reason to be dishonest to any of them. I feel that the real reason was because I became the elephant in the room and made them uncomfortable. Also, I would have been there 5 years in just a few weeks which meant a substantial raise and longer vacation time. Letting me go allowed them to bring in some one at a much lower wage and no benefits for at least a year. It just hurts that after being there for all those years, they let me go in the most cruel way.
I explained all of this in my EI application. On my service account it says that they have completed their assessment of my reason for leaving but since they haven't received my ROE, they are unable to establish a claim for me. They received my ROE the next day but they are still reviewing the information. That was 4 weeks ago and there is still no update.
My question is what do you think the out come of my application will be and should I contact them to ask for an update?
I'm so sorry for the long explanation. I just wanted you to know all of the facts.
Sorry for your loss. It's taking longer than typical because of the complex nature. Yes, you call for a status update. No way to give you an answer here because of the complexity.
Jun 28, 2015
15 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hello, a month ago I left my full-time job due to severe depression (multiple suicide attempts, inability to even do basic tasks like walking more than 5 minutes, showering myself, etc.). I initially asked my employer for accomodation, which included generous paid leave, working from home, etc. Even after a couple months of that, I was unable to do the work, so I took a medical leave and spent 15 weeks on EI sickness. I then (perhaps foolishly) attempted to return to work, but only lasted a couple weeks before I ended up in hospital again, so I decided I had no other alternative but to quit (there was no union or collective agreement).

Can I still get EI regular benefits because I left for medical reasons? I am worried I would not be qualified because I am not available for work, but it seems ridiculous to expect someone to have been seriously ill enough to have had no other alternative but to quit their job, but somehow magically be able to work again after leaving... Wouldn't that make it impossible for 99% of people to successfully claim just cause for medical reasons?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4814 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
mhall1 wrote:
May 30th, 2018 4:35 pm
Hello, a month ago I left my full-time job due to severe depression (multiple suicide attempts, inability to even do basic tasks like walking more than 5 minutes, showering myself, etc.). I initially asked my employer for accomodation, which included generous paid leave, working from home, etc. Even after a couple months of that, I was unable to do the work, so I took a medical leave and spent 15 weeks on EI sickness. I then (perhaps foolishly) attempted to return to work, but only lasted a couple weeks before I ended up in hospital again, so I decided I had no other alternative but to quit (there was no union or collective agreement).

Can I still get EI regular benefits because I left for medical reasons? I am worried I would not be qualified because I am not available for work, but it seems ridiculous to expect someone to have been seriously ill enough to have had no other alternative but to quit their job, but somehow magically be able to work again after leaving... Wouldn't that make it impossible for 99% of people to successfully claim just cause for medical reasons?
You mention you QUIT so how will you qualify? The other option is supposedly after 15 weeks of EI sick leave you can be on regular EI but you return to work......
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8310 posts
1399 upvotes
Edmonton
FighterJet wrote:
May 30th, 2018 4:15 pm
Nah, I paid into it and I'm just going to get all my money back. I do, however, plan to send off my resume to Google, Apple, Tesla, etc every month while improving my golf game.
Neat
Jun 28, 2015
15 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cgtlky wrote:
May 30th, 2018 4:59 pm
You mention you QUIT so how will you qualify? The other option is supposedly after 15 weeks of EI sick leave you can be on regular EI but you return to work......
I quit for medical reasons. That is supposed to be an exception to the "don't voluntarily quit" rule.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8310 posts
1399 upvotes
Edmonton
mhall1 wrote:
May 30th, 2018 5:04 pm
I quit for medical reasons. That is supposed to be an exception to the "don't voluntarily quit" rule.
If you quit because you're too ill to work, you can't receive regular benefits. You'll need to apply for sick benefits. Quitting due to medical reasons may be deemed just cause when a claim for regular benefits is eventually adjudicated, but if you can't work you can't collect regular.
Last edited by clseea on May 30th, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jun 28, 2015
15 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have already exhausted sickness benefits... So I guess that's a very convenient catch-22 that would prevent almost anyone from actually making use of medical just cause...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8310 posts
1399 upvotes
Edmonton
mhall1 wrote:
May 30th, 2018 5:57 pm
I have already exhausted sickness benefits... So I guess that's a very convenient catch-22 that would prevent almost anyone from actually making use of medical just cause...
Not at all. Some people quit their jobs due to medical reasons because their specific condition doesn't allow them to continue in that specific line of work. They may be able to work elsewhere, just not that specific job. If you can't work at all you're not meeting the most basic requirement of collecting regular benefits.
Jun 28, 2015
15 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Well, I guess all I can do is complain to my MP, then... What a shitty system. Disability pension doesn't even pay enough to cover rent, and takes six months to be adjudicated...