• Jun 20th, 2018 10:36 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8202 posts
1356 upvotes
Edmonton
mhall1 wrote:
May 30th, 2018 6:30 pm
Well, I guess all I can do is complain to my MP, then... What a shitty system. Disability pension doesn't even pay enough to cover rent, and takes six months to be adjudicated...
By all means, but you're not getting regular EI if you can't work. Your options are to contact CPP for long term disability or your province as they may have something they can provide.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1729 posts
581 upvotes
mhall1 wrote:
May 30th, 2018 6:30 pm
Well, I guess all I can do is complain to my MP, then... What a shitty system. Disability pension doesn't even pay enough to cover rent, and takes six months to be adjudicated...
EI pays for 15 weeks of medical leave, which you have already used up.

Complaining to your MP won’t do much as he/she would not be able to completely change the program.

An MP would generally only be able to assist with processing delays or other administrative issues.

I understand you’re in a difficult situation but there’s not much alternative other than CPP disability.
May 31, 2018
1 posts
I submitted my EI application april 27 the last day of my work without ROE from elpoyer...I requested right away but it takes too long for them do it. They told me it was submitted ectronically May 10, but i found out they did’nt send to service canada only to CRA. I gave the paper copy may 22 to service Canada and upon checking online to my account there’s decision made “missing ROE” and the second update is UNDER RECIEW “missing ROE” QUESTION! If ever my ROE Finally generated to computer and everything went well, once I got approve and start to receive claim , do I get lump sum amount for those weeks that I missed because of missing ROE? Thanks
Dec 1, 2007
25 posts
1 upvote
Hi, need some guidance on a couple questions.

My last day of work was this Monday, I applied for EI on Tuesday. I am also getting 2 weeks of vacation days paid out on my last paycheque.

1) Does this week count as my one-week wait since I only worked Monday? Or will next week count as my one-week wait?

2) The 2 weeks of vacation days being paid out means I need to wait an additional 2 weeks before I start receiving EI benefits? So my first payment should be in 5 weeks?

Thanks in advance, so grateful we have forums like this.
Mar 4, 2018
28 posts
4 upvotes
JeeLouO15506 wrote:
Jun 1st, 2018 10:33 am
I submitted my EI application april 27 the last day of my work without ROE from elpoyer...I requested right away but it takes too long for them do it. They told me it was submitted ectronically May 10, but i found out they did’nt send to service canada only to CRA. I gave the paper copy may 22 to service Canada and upon checking online to my account there’s decision made “missing ROE” and the second update is UNDER RECIEW “missing ROE” QUESTION! If ever my ROE Finally generated to computer and everything went well, once I got approve and start to receive claim , do I get lump sum amount for those weeks that I missed because of missing ROE? Thanks
Yes.
Mar 4, 2018
28 posts
4 upvotes
Barg00n wrote:
Jun 1st, 2018 6:01 pm
Hi, need some guidance on a couple questions.

My last day of work was this Monday, I applied for EI on Tuesday. I am also getting 2 weeks of vacation days paid out on my last paycheque.

1) Does this week count as my one-week wait since I only worked Monday? Or will next week count as my one-week wait?

2) The 2 weeks of vacation days being paid out means I need to wait an additional 2 weeks before I start receiving EI benefits? So my first payment should be in 5 weeks?

Thanks in advance, so grateful we have forums like this.
See here for more details: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... eriod.html. Can't give a definite answer without seeing the numbers, but read through section 1.8.2 and 1.8.3. But to give a general answer to your questions... is sounds like you will have 2 weeks unpaid from EI (because of your vacation pay), and 1 week unpaid because of the waiting period.
Jun 3, 2018
1 posts
I am in a frustrating situation right now.

My work agreement states "after Jan 31, a vacation pay will be paid out".
The Payroll Department always process this pay in the pay period starting after Feb 1, for this year it was [Feb 15/Feb 28].
The Pay Service Department issued payment based on pay period information, but then went on to report Feb 28 as the payable (anniversary) date to Service Canada.

My Parental Leave started on Feb 19. I took 5 weeks with expectation to received EI for all of them (my wife served the waiting period already). This issue landed a huge penalty on my claim.

The Payroll Department Manager even confirmed that Feb 1 is the payable date every year, they just have to wait for the next starting pay period to process it, for administrative reasons.
But Pay Service Department is the one to issue ROE and they are insisting Feb 28. The date does not even make sense as an anniversary, since in 2017 the vacation pay was processed in pay period [Feb 2/Feb 15].

I spoke with Service Canada multiple times. They listened to the whole situation and agreed Feb 1 should be the anniversary date. But apparently Pay Service has to issue a new ROE before Service Canada can resolve it, and it is not happening. I offered to send document proofs, but apparently new ROE from them is a must.
Oct 20, 2010
211 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Hi, I recently quit my job due to Anxiety, Stress, Depression caused by my work and workplace. I did not communicate this to my employer. I provided them with other reasons for my departure because I just did not want to get into it with them. I did however voice my displeasure with my current work and that I was not happy a few weeks prior to my departure.

I would like to apply for EI due to Health Issues. A few questions:

- Is my previous employer contact with regards to this? If so what are they asked? (I don't want to burn any bridges, I was previously working for one of the 'best' employers in the industry. A burnt bridge could be costly to my future)
- Do I have a reasonable case for EI? I plan to find alternative employment/education soon but need help paying some small bills.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9202 posts
2812 upvotes
Calgary
salikc9 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 5:40 pm
Hi, I recently quit my job due to Anxiety, Stress, Depression caused by my work and workplace. I did not communicate this to my employer. I provided them with other reasons for my departure because I just did not want to get into it with them. I did however voice my displeasure with my current work and that I was not happy a few weeks prior to my departure.

I would like to apply for EI due to Health Issues. A few questions:

- Is my previous employer contact with regards to this? If so what are they asked? (I don't want to burn any bridges, I was previously working for one of the 'best' employers in the industry. A burnt bridge could be costly to my future)
- Do I have a reasonable case for EI? I plan to find alternative employment/education soon but need help paying some small bills.
Do you have any medical documentation to back up your claim?

It's hard to approve if there is nothing backing up your statement.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9202 posts
2812 upvotes
Calgary
AaronL40514 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 11:37 pm
Hello,

I have to attend an EI Information Claimant Session... tomorrow morning.

The issue is that I spent all night getting documents, proof of applying & filling out the sheets they gave me & I'm NOT doing it again but I'm afraid they will tell me to go home & come next time because as the paper says... which I didn't see until now, I need 2 pieces of ID & SIN for some reason is not acceptable. I have my Drivers which is good but Passport & birth certificate are 4 hours away right now.

Does anybody know how I can get around this other than missing tomorrow? ...Can I use my medicare? ...I mean I have drivers, medicare, sin number that SHOULD be enough but they say no SIN on the mail they sent me, like come on!

Thanks
SIN is never accepted ID. Just go and hope for the best.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
May 11, 2015
6 posts
Macdonald, MB
Hi guys,

Asking this question for my GF that recently been laid off, her last shift was May 25 .

Last pay (May 25) included 80 hours and all of her vacation pay ($2100).

She applied for EI right away but know that there is awaiting period.

She was wondering if someone could give her a rough estimate of when she would be paid? Does vacation pay delay the payments?

On another side note, if the benefit rate is $500 and federal tax is $58, does this mean she will be paid $442 per week? And since EI pays bi-weekly, she will receive $884 every payment?

Under latest claims she said she sees the following:

Other monies:

- Vacation pay: May 27 to June 16
- Weekly Amount: $857
- Last week Amount: $242

Anyone know what this means?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1729 posts
581 upvotes
AaronL40514 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 11:37 pm
Hello,

I have to attend an EI Information Claimant Session... tomorrow morning.

The issue is that I spent all night getting documents, proof of applying & filling out the sheets they gave me & I'm NOT doing it again but I'm afraid they will tell me to go home & come next time because as the paper says... which I didn't see until now, I need 2 pieces of ID & SIN for some reason is not acceptable. I have my Drivers which is good but Passport & birth certificate are 4 hours away right now.

Does anybody know how I can get around this other than missing tomorrow? ...Can I use my medicare? ...I mean I have drivers, medicare, sin number that SHOULD be enough but they say no SIN on the mail they sent me, like come on!

Thanks
If you don’t go your benefits will be stopped immediately.

So, I would advise that you attend the session.
Jun 4, 2018
2 posts
Hi there looking for advice a little stressed !
I accidentally made a mistake on my last ei report and had realized today I was overpayed after seeing a payment in my bank account . I had returned to work full time after vacation / not receiving benefits for a month , and have no excuse really other than making the mistake of not reporting I started my job . I don’t know if I just had vacation brain or what but anyways- I will be contacting them tomorrow about my mistake and have them either take the money back or repay it Right away as I have the funds available .

I looked online for information / phone number and so much about fraud came up ! It’s caused me a lot of anxiety I did not mean to do this and can repay the overpayment but I am afraid that when I call tomorrow I will get in trouble had anyone ever made a mistake like this ? I am laid off by two different employers every year as they are seasonal jobs. ( summer / winter ) so my claims start and stop here and there for the times in between employment . I am really worried I will be charged with fraud i unknowingly made this mistake . Any advice beforehand is great thanks
Mar 4, 2018
28 posts
4 upvotes
mingzi wrote:
Jun 5th, 2018 11:28 am
Hi guys,

Asking this question for my GF that recently been laid off, her last shift was May 25 .

Last pay (May 25) included 80 hours and all of her vacation pay ($2100).

She applied for EI right away but know that there is awaiting period.

She was wondering if someone could give her a rough estimate of when she would be paid? Does vacation pay delay the payments?

On another side note, if the benefit rate is $500 and federal tax is $58, does this mean she will be paid $442 per week? And since EI pays bi-weekly, she will receive $884 every payment?

Under latest claims she said she sees the following:

Other monies:

- Vacation pay: May 27 to June 16
- Weekly Amount: $857
- Last week Amount: $242

Anyone know what this means?

Thanks!
Yes, vacation pay will delay the payments.

Your tax calculations are correct, however:

Week starting on May 27, $857 of her vacation pay will be removed from her weekly EI payment, making it 0. Same for week starting on June 3. Week starting June 10 will be her waiting period. Since there is still $242 of vacation pay that needs to be removed, this will be removed from her first actual payable week (week starting June 17).
Mar 4, 2018
28 posts
4 upvotes
ArcFlash wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 3:16 pm
I am in a frustrating situation right now.

My work agreement states "after Jan 31, a vacation pay will be paid out".
The Payroll Department always process this pay in the pay period starting after Feb 1, for this year it was [Feb 15/Feb 28].
The Pay Service Department issued payment based on pay period information, but then went on to report Feb 28 as the payable (anniversary) date to Service Canada.

My Parental Leave started on Feb 19. I took 5 weeks with expectation to received EI for all of them (my wife served the waiting period already). This issue landed a huge penalty on my claim.

The Payroll Department Manager even confirmed that Feb 1 is the payable date every year, they just have to wait for the next starting pay period to process it, for administrative reasons.
But Pay Service Department is the one to issue ROE and they are insisting Feb 28. The date does not even make sense as an anniversary, since in 2017 the vacation pay was processed in pay period [Feb 2/Feb 15].

I spoke with Service Canada multiple times. They listened to the whole situation and agreed Feb 1 should be the anniversary date. But apparently Pay Service has to issue a new ROE before Service Canada can resolve it, and it is not happening. I offered to send document proofs, but apparently new ROE from them is a must.
You stated that you have a "huge penalty". Is this correct, or do you simply mean an overpayment? If it's a penalty, then you can file a request for reconsideration (search that at Canada.ca). If it's an overpayment, then you just have to pay back the difference.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)