EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2018 2:29 pm
Mar 4, 2018
50 posts
10 upvotes
Prariegirl wrote:
Jun 5th, 2018 8:26 pm
Hi there looking for advice a little stressed !
I accidentally made a mistake on my last ei report and had realized today I was overpayed after seeing a payment in my bank account . I had returned to work full time after vacation / not receiving benefits for a month , and have no excuse really other than making the mistake of not reporting I started my job . I don’t know if I just had vacation brain or what but anyways- I will be contacting them tomorrow about my mistake and have them either take the money back or repay it Right away as I have the funds available .

I looked online for information / phone number and so much about fraud came up ! It’s caused me a lot of anxiety I did not mean to do this and can repay the overpayment but I am afraid that when I call tomorrow I will get in trouble had anyone ever made a mistake like this ? I am laid off by two different employers every year as they are seasonal jobs. ( summer / winter ) so my claims start and stop here and there for the times in between employment . I am really worried I will be charged with fraud i unknowingly made this mistake . Any advice beforehand is great thanks
How long ago did you receive the payment? Just call them up and explain the situation.
Jun 4, 2018
2 posts
This afternoon i had noticed payment for yesterday . I was paying my cellphone bill through online banking and noticed the payment - clueing in that I made a mistake because I have been back to work full time and shouldn’t be receiving benefits . I then went online to my service Canada account and realized what I had done . I hope I don’t have issues when I call tomorrow I am worried about being charged for a stupid mistake I can repay immediatly
Jun 5, 2018
2 posts
It looks like the company I work for will close the doors. There I am an employee. The thing is that I am also a mortgage agent (self-employed). Can I apply for an EI in this case?
Feb 8, 2017
378 posts
159 upvotes
eligibility question - i claimed sickness benefits for 3 weeks in March. Went back to work on a modified schedule and recently went back to full time hours. the company is restructuring. if my job disappears would i be eligible to claim regular EI? do the sickness benefits come into the equation or are those 2 separate events? thanks in advance for any help with this.
Mar 4, 2018
50 posts
10 upvotes
hiontario wrote:
Jun 6th, 2018 6:28 pm
It looks like the company I work for will close the doors. There I am an employee. The thing is that I am also a mortgage agent (self-employed). Can I apply for an EI in this case?
Yes you can still apply. Your self employment activity will need to be looked at further to see if you can still collect EI benefits. How much activity you do with it, would you be willing to stop to pursue a full-time job, etc, will be asked of you.
Mar 4, 2018
50 posts
10 upvotes
aubgray1 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2018 9:48 am
eligibility question - i claimed sickness benefits for 3 weeks in March. Went back to work on a modified schedule and recently went back to full time hours. the company is restructuring. if my job disappears would i be eligible to claim regular EI? do the sickness benefits come into the equation or are those 2 separate events? thanks in advance for any help with this.
Yes you would be eligible if your company laid you off. The only thing that those 3 weeks of sickness would do is limit your claim to maximum of 50 weeks. Most people get less than that anyway so it probably wont make a difference to your situation.
May 9, 2008
215 posts
I have question about getting EI and was hoping some of you would be able to comment.
I filed a claim a while ago right after I got laid off from my full time permanent job and was told that I should just leave the claim to become dormant and reapply later as my severance benefits are not finished until end of July. However, now the same employer wanted to bring me back with a full time contract position for 3 months (possibility of getting extended beyond that), starting at the beginning of July.

With this said, I'm wondering will my eligibility to get EI get affected if I choose not to have the contract extended after the 3 months?
Also would it be more beneficial for me to reapply for the claim at end of July when my original severance benefits run out OR should I apply for EI again after my 3 months are done?
Why does it matter (if it does?)?

Thanks all!
Jun 9, 2018
6 posts
3 upvotes
Hello everyone, my question isn’t directly E.I related but it is work related, i was denied short term disability by my workplace after my car accident because it happened while i was still in my three months probation period, i have not gone back to work since November (because of injury) and i did not use any benefits from the company, now they are asking me to pay off the balance of my benefits, do i have to pay them, again i did not use any of the benefits offered to me
Jun 11, 2018
1 posts
Hi there,
Wondering if anyone could help me. I am attending school full time in September and have qualified for OSAP. The funding only covers from September to May the duration of the school year. I have been at my current employer for 4 years and will be staying on part time while attending school. I dont think my employer will have full time hours for me at the end of the school year. Would I qualify for EI? I am a single mom and am afraid I wont have a means to provide for my daughter if I dont find a job right away after graduating.

Thanks for reading this.
Mar 4, 2018
50 posts
10 upvotes
LaurenG wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 11:32 pm
Hi there,
Wondering if anyone could help me. I am attending school full time in September and have qualified for OSAP. The funding only covers from September to May the duration of the school year. I have been at my current employer for 4 years and will be staying on part time while attending school. I dont think my employer will have full time hours for me at the end of the school year. Would I qualify for EI? I am a single mom and am afraid I wont have a means to provide for my daughter if I dont find a job right away after graduating.

Thanks for reading this.
If your intention is to stay with your employer part time at the end of the school year, it doesn't sound like you would qualify. There has to be a separation from employment that is deemed 'just cause' (meaning you didn't quit.... under most circumstances).

However, if your intention is to go on EI while in school, there may be exceptions under specific circumstances. See here: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... ining.html
Mar 4, 2018
50 posts
10 upvotes
Mhs1799 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 3:19 pm
Hello everyone, my question isn’t directly E.I related but it is work related, i was denied short term disability by my workplace after my car accident because it happened while i was still in my three months probation period, i have not gone back to work since November (because of injury) and i did not use any benefits from the company, now they are asking me to pay off the balance of my benefits, do i have to pay them, again i did not use any of the benefits offered to me
It is probably best to either talk to a lawyer or call your provincial labour board, as this is not really an EI question. However, based on what your wrote, there is possibility of potentially getting EI if you meet specific criteria. For example, are you still currently unable to work because of your car accident and would a doctor put that in writing for you?
Mar 4, 2018
50 posts
10 upvotes
Cuisine123 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 6:27 pm
I have question about getting EI and was hoping some of you would be able to comment.
I filed a claim a while ago right after I got laid off from my full time permanent job and was told that I should just leave the claim to become dormant and reapply later as my severance benefits are not finished until end of July. However, now the same employer wanted to bring me back with a full time contract position for 3 months (possibility of getting extended beyond that), starting at the beginning of July.

With this said, I'm wondering will my eligibility to get EI get affected if I choose not to have the contract extended after the 3 months?
Also would it be more beneficial for me to reapply for the claim at end of July when my original severance benefits run out OR should I apply for EI again after my 3 months are done?
Why does it matter (if it does?)?

Thanks all!
Concerning your question about eligibility of getting EI if you choose not to take the contract: EI is for those who cannot find a job. If a job is offered to you and you choose to turn it down, does that sound like you are using EI lawfully? With that being said, it is possible to get EI for "end of contract", however, a call may be placed to your employer to look into it at which point they may find out you turned it down. This action may disqualify you.
Oct 29, 2009
137 posts
28 upvotes
What is the normal period you receive unemployment insurance due to lay off. My friend is in the GTA area and was told they would get 18 weeks. Is that low? I thought it would be longer.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8308 posts
1398 upvotes
Edmonton
Anxious wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 11:43 am
What is the normal period you receive unemployment insurance due to lay off. My friend is in the GTA area and was told they would get 18 weeks. Is that low? I thought it would be longer.
See here

Google is great

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

Tretinoin, Avendosora