Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2018 6:51 pm
Jun 5, 2018
2 posts
cat7kk2 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 11:50 am
Yes you can still apply. Your self employment activity will need to be looked at further to see if you can still collect EI benefits. How much activity you do with it, would you be willing to stop to pursue a full-time job, etc, will be asked of you.
Thank you.
Feb 26, 2014
2 posts
Ottawa
Hi, I got laid off in March and was approved for EI payments after my severance period which was from March 18-June 9th. I have to do my report on June 22nd and I’m just wondering because I’ve already been approved, will I be automatically paid my benefit rate? Waiting period was June 3-9. Thanks!
Mar 4, 2018
41 posts
10 upvotes
jbugg19 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 5:40 pm
Hi, I got laid off in March and was approved for EI payments after my severance period which was from March 18-June 9th. I have to do my report on June 22nd and I’m just wondering because I’ve already been approved, will I be automatically paid my benefit rate? Waiting period was June 3-9. Thanks!
If you have direct deposit, 2-3 days after you do your reports.
Dec 22, 2017
80 posts
34 upvotes
I will be starting school in September of this year.

I am starting a summer job that starts in July and ends in mid August. It will probably be very hard to find work the three weeks only before I start school in September.

Is it even possible to get EI for 3 weeks worth of work? I have never applied for EI before.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1506 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
If this summer job is your only employment for the year, you will not have worked the minimum number of hours to qualify for EI. It's between 420 and 700 hours depending on the unemployment rate where you live, but closer to 700 for the vast majority of people.
Dec 22, 2017
80 posts
34 upvotes
Okay, I forgot to add. I had a full time job through out the year. I should be able to meet the minimum required hours easily.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1464 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
Are you being fired/terminated without cause/restructured in August? Or does your summer job contract just end as per your agreement with your employer?
May 8, 2009
6515 posts
2757 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
gqbluez wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2018 12:14 pm
Are you being fired/terminated without cause/restructured in August? Or does your summer job contract just end as per your agreement with your employer?
Even with a contract ending, wouldn't OP still qualify for EI?

Not sure if three weeks is worth it. There's a one week waiting period (no pay).
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1261 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto, ON
GeneralAkbar wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2018 1:15 am
I will be starting school in September of this year.

I am starting a summer job that starts in July and ends in mid August. It will probably be very hard to find work the three weeks only before I start school in September.

Is it even possible to get EI for 3 weeks worth of work? I have never applied for EI before.
Yes. I was once laid off for four weeks, but in practice only two because of unpaid vacation (which I got paid for). EI was on a two week pause those days, not the one week it is now. I still got a little money.

I was told to apply right away. You don't have to wait until you see your RoE on the My Service Canada website (or on paper). Also you've been paying between 1-2% of your paycheque toward EI, you don't want that money going to waste ;) The worst that can happen is they will say no, but they will probably say yes, and missing most of a month's pay is not fun.
Dec 22, 2017
80 posts
34 upvotes
gqbluez wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2018 12:14 pm
It is a contract that just ends in mid August.
Dec 22, 2017
80 posts
34 upvotes
Thanks guys for the help! I will apply for the EI in August. How do they calculate how much to give?
Jun 13, 2018
73 posts
45 upvotes
Make sure you apply during a week you have zero earned income. If you earn any money during your waiting period it will be clawed back, dollar for dollar.
Sep 8, 2015
40 posts
3 upvotes
I have a few questions and I tried to read the online docs but don't understand.
All questions pertain to father taking parental leave.

If he is a contractor, would he get paid parental leave?
Since contractors do not pay EI, I am guessing no but somewhere I read of special benefits that he can enroll into.
- independent incorporated contractor paying himself via payroll/t4 but not paying EI

If he is fulltime, I understand the requirement is 13 weeks of work before the birth, is this correct?

Does he have 1.5 years from birth to take the parental leave just like the mother?
Can he split the parental leave? e.g., he takes 2 months right after birth and 2 months after 10 months.

Is the 13 weeks of work leading upto birth or leading upto within 12(?) months of birth?
Let's say father didn't have a job and he gets a job only 4 weeks before baby birthday.
Can we complete his 13 weeks post-birth and take the parental leave?
Mar 23, 2017
19 posts
Hi,

I will be moving to a different city (in the same province) and plan to notify the CRA about the address change.

I will be answering "YES" to one of the answer, "Have you moved, or changed your mailing address..."

Now, will there be a delay in my payment or should expect regular payment schedule?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)