• Sep 24th, 2018 6:51 pm
Jan 3, 2018
36 posts
17 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jun 26th, 2018 6:31 pm
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... rkers.html

You have to apply 12 months in advance.

Once you take the "special" money, you have to continue paying EI for the rest of your self-employed career.

C
That's exactly what I heard from an accountant once. Also they stated it's only worth it if you take the entire year off and you have 2 kids (that is go on leave twice).
Mar 4, 2018
41 posts
10 upvotes
GeneralAkbar wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 8:19 pm
Thanks guys for the help! I will apply for the EI in August. How do they calculate how much to give?
55% of your average (normal) weekly earnings.
Mar 4, 2018
41 posts
10 upvotes
leed10 wrote:
Jun 27th, 2018 1:03 am
Hi,

I will be moving to a different city (in the same province) and plan to notify the CRA about the address change.

I will be answering "YES" to one of the answer, "Have you moved, or changed your mailing address..."

Now, will there be a delay in my payment or should expect regular payment schedule?
No delay.
Mar 4, 2018
41 posts
10 upvotes
ritzcrv wrote:
Jun 25th, 2018 9:52 am
Make sure you apply during a week you have zero earned income. If you earn any money during your waiting period it will be clawed back, dollar for dollar.
This is incorrect. If he applies within 4 weeks of stopping work, the claim will be established the week of the work stoppage. If he applies after 4 weeks, the claim will start in the week he applied. If he applies on time, the waiting period earnings will be deducted the same as if he applied the week after stopping work or the night after his last shift. There will be no difference to his waiting period earnings. The only way around this is if he applies late (4+ weeks after he stops work), but then he misses out on those weeks of benefits completely.
You should apply right after you stop work. The system will calculate what is in your best interest.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8298 posts
1389 upvotes
Edmonton
ritzcrv wrote:
Jun 27th, 2018 11:54 pm
Well considering my statement matches that of Service Canada, I disregard your false statement

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... eriod.html
You're not understanding how the interruption of earnings, benefit period commencement, and waiting period work. cat7kk2 is correct.

You're also cherry picking a snippet of the legislation, which is misleading.
Jun 13, 2018
73 posts
45 upvotes
Considering that language has not changed in the legislation, & my benefits some decades ago was clawed back dollar for dollar for "earning in your waiting period" I still stand by my statement.

Last edited by MrDisco on Jun 28th, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8298 posts
1389 upvotes
Edmonton
ritzcrv wrote:
Jun 28th, 2018 7:54 am
Considering that language has not changed in the legislation, & my benefits some decades ago was clawed back dollar for dollar for "earning in your waiting period" I still stand by my statement.

Are you changing the topic to be about waiting period earnings being deducted? No one is arguing that earnings in the waiting period are deducted.

If you apply within 4 weeks of when you stop working, your claim begins the week you stopped working. Even if you wait until the 4th week after you've stopped working, your benefit period commencement is going to be the week you stopped working. They're not going to start your claim in the 4th week. If you have earnings in that period, they deduct the money. In your waiting period it's dollar for dollar. There's not a loophole where you can apply in week 3 or 4, have your claim start that same week, and then not have any waiting period earnings deducted.

If you apply outside of those 4 weeks, then yes you won't have any waiting period earnings deducted. But that's because you didn't work. And your claim will start 5 weeks later than when you stopped working.

Please provide us with the specific legislation that states you can apply in week 2 or 3 or 4 and have your claim start that week so as to avoid waiting period earnings.

Last edited by MrDisco on Jun 28th, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was edited
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8298 posts
1389 upvotes
Edmonton
ritzcrv wrote:
Jun 28th, 2018 7:38 pm

Please clarify the following statement you made. Additionally, please clarify how applying during a week you have zero income will nullify any deduction of waiting period earnings.

For example, you have partial earnings and hours worked in week 1. You apply for benefits in week 3. How are your benefits and waiting period earnings affected? When does your claim start? I'd like to know these things from someone that has the experience with this. *
ritzcrv wrote:
Jun 25th, 2018 9:52 am
Make sure you apply during a week you have zero earned income.
Last edited by MrDisco on Jun 28th, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 28, 2018
3 posts
Hey there! Hoping someone can tell me what to expect

I submitted a report in which I was out of the country looking for work (friend was supposed to help me find work at a hostel in Peru) I filed my report for that two-week period, and received the message

"The details you have provided on your absence from Canada have been referred to a Service Canada Centre for review. Your payment will be delayed until a decision is made."

Just wondering what steps I should take now? Since it was a trip where I visited a friend in a nice area, and since the arrangements my friend made fell through, I didn't end up doing as much job-hunting there as I could have. Am worried about being penalized/prosecuted?

Has anyone been in this situation before and know what to expect? Should I just go to a Service Canada office and ask them to change it to "vacation" for the sake of simplicity?

Thank you!
Oct 8, 2015
364 posts
163 upvotes
My wife's work makes her cervical disk problem worse. It's not like she could not work but could not work such long time. Asked for shorter working hours (and less salary) and her employer only tells her "if you can't bear it then you have to leave, we don't accept shorter working hours". Sounded like they want her to voluntarily leave.

Under this case, what is the proper way to ask for a ROE so she can get EI?
Is there any impact/harm to the employer if they issue "shortage of work" ROE?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8298 posts
1389 upvotes
Edmonton
withornot wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 10:09 am
Hey there! Hoping someone can tell me what to expect

I submitted a report in which I was out of the country looking for work (friend was supposed to help me find work at a hostel in Peru) I filed my report for that two-week period, and received the message

"The details you have provided on your absence from Canada have been referred to a Service Canada Centre for review. Your payment will be delayed until a decision is made."

Just wondering what steps I should take now? Since it was a trip where I visited a friend in a nice area, and since the arrangements my friend made fell through, I didn't end up doing as much job-hunting there as I could have. Am worried about being penalized/prosecuted?

Has anyone been in this situation before and know what to expect? Should I just go to a Service Canada office and ask them to change it to "vacation" for the sake of simplicity?

Thank you!
So was it a vacation or a job search? Did you have interviews lined up?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8298 posts
1389 upvotes
Edmonton
naticom wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 11:12 am
My wife's work makes her cervical disk problem worse. It's not like she could not work but could not work such long time. Asked for shorter working hours (and less salary) and her employer only tells her "if you can't bear it then you have to leave, we don't accept shorter working hours". Sounded like they want her to voluntarily leave.

Under this case, what is the proper way to ask for a ROE so she can get EI?
Is there any impact/harm to the employer if they issue "shortage of work" ROE?
Has her doctor deemed her medically unfit to work?
Jun 28, 2018
3 posts
So was it a vacation or a job search? Did you have interviews lined up?
It was both. I didn't have interviews lined up, the idea was that my friend would introduce me to hostels where I could work and I would talk to the owners and ask about that. Only once I was there did she explain that almost all hostels only give you room+board and that she was very cash-strapped. I had already booked my return ticket so I didn't come back earlier because of the costs. I guess day 1-2 were job-hunting? After that I was trying to network but didn't get interviews at other places.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8298 posts
1389 upvotes
Edmonton
withornot wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 12:08 pm
It was both. I didn't have interviews lined up, the idea was that my friend would introduce me to hostels where I could work and I would talk to the owners and ask about that. Only once I was there did she explain that almost all hostels only give you room+board and that she was very cash-strapped. I had already booked my return ticket so I didn't come back earlier because of the costs. I guess day 1-2 were job-hunting? After that I was trying to network but didn't get interviews at other places.
See here

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)