EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2018 8:54 am
Jun 28, 2018
3 posts
clseea wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 12:26 pm
See here
Thank you!!!! I really appreciate it. Considering my friend is also Canadian and got hired at the hostels without issue, my reading of this portion seems like I would meet the "reasonable expectation of obtaining authorization to work" criterion? Do you know if there is any other portion to worry about? This was very helpful.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8221 posts
1371 upvotes
Edmonton
withornot wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 12:42 pm
Thank you!!!! I really appreciate it. Considering my friend is also Canadian and got hired at the hostels without issue, my reading of this portion seems like I would meet the "reasonable expectation of obtaining authorization to work" criterion? Do you know if there is any other portion to worry about? This was very helpful.
To me it sounds more like a vacation. You'll need to go through a questionnaire for the review. Call in, they may be able to expedite things for you
Oct 8, 2015
317 posts
141 upvotes
Not that serious, but the condition is getting worse over time while doing the same job
clseea wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 11:41 am
Has her doctor deemed her medically unfit to work?
Mar 25, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
Having some difficulty applying for ei here. I work for the school board and during the summer we can apply for ei. However, while working for the board I also worked (still work) a part time job on the side.

So, the part of the application where it asks if I had work elsewhere in last 52 weeks, I clicked yes, but it is not giving me the option to choose that I still currently work there. It's asking why I separated from it... So I'm unsure what to do. The school board was my main source of income. And the funny thing is that when i filled out the start and end date of my partime job, it asks you to input the latest shift you worked if you still "currently work there", which makes this whole application so confusing. Seeing how it doesn't give me an option to say I still work there on the next page.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4740 posts
593 upvotes
Toronto
messi2018 wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2018 2:49 am
Your passport is scanned while leaving the country as well as when coming back. Also you have to manually fill the declaration card.

I was wondering does CBSA keep on sending this data on a routine basis of each and every passenger to Service Canada or Service Canada asks for this data on a regular basis ?

I mean how does EI catch fraud? Does CBSA only send them info, when Service Canada suspects fraud and specifically asks for the info of a particular EI recepient ?

I don't think CBSA sends them info of millions of passengers, even the onese who are not on EI to Service Canada even without asking.

My theory is whenever you appy for EI, your SIN and all other details are sent to CBSA immediately. So now whenever you leave the country, you get flagged immediately in the CBSA and Service Canada system. So now if you haven't informed EI about leaving tne country, they catch you.

I mean if they have 500,000 people on EI cuurently, the info of all these 500,000 people has already been sent to CBSA. So whenever they leave the country and enter again and the passport and declaration card is scanned, it gets cross checked and referenced, so any fraud is caught.

Same is probably true for OAS and GIS recepients, when they live outside for more than 6 months..well mostly the GIS guys and not OAS or CPP guys.
I was on EI twice and twice, I went oversea, the first time I don't know how to do it and they ask me to pay back. It is not instant, it may takes you a few months to get a notice. You got no escape service Canada can garnished you tax refund for repayment
Jul 1, 2018
3 posts
I was recently laid off form my "retirement" job. I applied for EI on line and my claim was accepted.
I have not claimed yet as I am waiting for the access code via mail.
However, I have decided to try retirement again, which means I will not be looking for work.
This of course means I should not now be eligible for EI.
How do I cancel my claim. I can't find any way to do so online in My service Canada Account.
Should I just go to the nearest Service Canada Office?
Aug 28, 2017
2 posts
So my friend had maxed out her regular ei benefits, about 3-4 week prior to that I had her apply for the sick benifits, we currently have the signed doctors note, and haven't had to submit it yet, and she is receiving the ei sick benefits after with no issue. I think their was a 1 week prior she didnt get paid, just due to processing, but it got back paid.
Oct 1, 2003
352 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
My wife works for a school board and works same days as teachers - month of July and August off without pay. We usually apply for EI for those two months. Usually it's a new claim every year - as we often apply at the end of June. Last year we applied late - end of July. So, when we applied this time (end of June) they reactivated last year's claim with an end date of July 28th.

Question is:

Can we apply for a new claim on July 28th for remaining August?

Or should we call right away and have them not reactivate last year's claim, but instead, start a new one?

Or can the old claim be extended?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1742 posts
586 upvotes
messi2018 wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2018 2:49 am
Your passport is scanned while leaving the country as well as when coming back. Also you have to manually fill the declaration card.

I was wondering does CBSA keep on sending this data on a routine basis of each and every passenger to Service Canada or Service Canada asks for this data on a regular basis ?

I mean how does EI catch fraud? Does CBSA only send them info, when Service Canada suspects fraud and specifically asks for the info of a particular EI recepient ?

I don't think CBSA sends them info of millions of passengers, even the onese who are not on EI to Service Canada even without asking.

My theory is whenever you appy for EI, your SIN and all other details are sent to CBSA immediately. So now whenever you leave the country, you get flagged immediately in the CBSA and Service Canada system. So now if you haven't informed EI about leaving tne country, they catch you.

I mean if they have 500,000 people on EI cuurently, the info of all these 500,000 people has already been sent to CBSA. So whenever they leave the country and enter again and the passport and declaration card is scanned, it gets cross checked and referenced, so any fraud is caught.

Same is probably true for OAS and GIS recepients, when they live outside for more than 6 months..well mostly the GIS guys and not OAS or CPP guys.
I don’t think anyone here is going to tell you how they ‘check’ that you’re gone but it’s not that intrusive.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1742 posts
586 upvotes
Millstev wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2018 12:03 pm
I was recently laid off form my "retirement" job. I applied for EI on line and my claim was accepted.
I have not claimed yet as I am waiting for the access code via mail.
However, I have decided to try retirement again, which means I will not be looking for work.
This of course means I should not now be eligible for EI.
How do I cancel my claim. I can't find any way to do so online in My service Canada Account.
Should I just go to the nearest Service Canada Office?
The easiest way is just to not do anything. If you don’t do your reports you won’t get paid and your claim will go dormant.
Jul 2, 2018
1 posts
Hey guys!

Like some others on here I work at a school and we experience a temporary layoff during the summer, so ZERO income. I applied for EI for that period of time and I immediately received a document to come to a required claimant information session and need to bring proof I'm looking for work. How should I go about it? I already have a job that I return to in August.

That being said, I've been looking for a job just for these 2 months, but more passively than I would be if I didn't have a timetable to return to my other job, so don't really have any proof.

How should I go about this session? Do I just tell them I work in a school so have already found a job?

Thanks everyone
Temp. Banned
Jun 30, 2018
10 posts
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2018 8:29 am
I don’t think anyone here is going to tell you how they ‘check’ that you’re gone but it’s not that intrusive.

That was hilarious, EI guy did get very intrusive, he had it coming.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1742 posts
586 upvotes
messi2018 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2018 1:57 pm
Should I call them and find out? Do you think they will do that?

I guess, I will have to take a vacation within the country then :(, and support the Canadian economy :). The NAFTA war has started. I am patriotic that way.

Won't use my credit card or debit card either, only pure cash, when I am on vacation within the country. Maybe they are not that intrusive,but don't want to leave an electronic trail behind, but why take a chance?

I will ask someone to fill the online EI reports for me from my home computer, just in case they decide to check the IP address. I already have fake job searches & job applications lined up.

Does chilling at your cottage on week days count as not looking for work? I haven't had an EI sponsored paid vacation in a while, this might be a good time.
Call them and find out what? The obligation for you, which you attest to when applying, is that you will answer the questions truthfully and honestly.

If you lie and get caught you have to repay that money in addition to a penalty.

You obviously are looking to collect benefits without actually holding up your end of the bargain (completing reports honestly, looking for and being available for work...etc).

To each their own. It’s not my life but I wouldn’t personally try and help someone to scam the system.

Good luck though and hopefully it works out for you.
Jul 2, 2018
1 posts
Hey guys!

Like some others on here I work at a school and we experience a temporary layoff during the summer, so ZERO income. I applied for EI for that period of time and I immediately received a document to come to a required claimant information session and need to bring proof I'm looking for work. How should I go about it? I already have a job that I return to in August.

That being said, I've been looking for a job just for these 2 months, but more passively than I would be if I didn't have a timetable to return to my other job, so don't really have any proof.

How should I go about this session? Do I just tell them I work in a school so have already found a job?

Thanks everyone
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8221 posts
1371 upvotes
Edmonton
messi2018 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2018 1:57 pm
Should I call them and find out? Do you think they will do that?

I guess, I will have to take a vacation within the country then :(, and support the Canadian economy :). The NAFTA war has started. I am patriotic that way.

Won't use my credit card or debit card either, only pure cash, when I am on vacation within the country. Maybe they are not that intrusive,but don't want to leave an electronic trail behind, but why take a chance?

I will ask someone to fill the online EI reports for me from my home computer, just in case they decide to check the IP address. I already have fake job searches & job applications lined up.

Does chilling at your cottage on week days count as not looking for work? I haven't had an EI sponsored paid vacation in a while, this might be a good time.
messi2018 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2018 2:12 pm
Who said you have to really look for work? You just have to pretend that you are? What do you think, I am doing?
How many accounts are you going to make to post the same garbage you always do? It's sad you have nothing better to do

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)